'90 fuel pump mishap

So, went to swap the fuel pump on the '90 LWB. Initially, all went better than expected, with all the nuts breaking loose without rounding off. However, the notorious stubborn fuel line bit back pretty hard. Let it soak in penetrant for about an hour, and hit it 3 more times while trying to twist it off. Then made the mistake of asking my husband to try - I say "mistake" because he didn't realize the metal section of line into the tank isn't supposed to flex around... SO I now have a pretty messed up pump hanger, as far as the metal feed line attached to it. No idea if a hole formed yet, but it's been signifcantly weaked by being twisted who knows how many times (I wasn't watching, just saw the end result)
My question is- can a Gen 2 pump mount fit on a Gen 1? They look the same to me, and I can more easily source a Gen 2 piece around here, though still pretty difficult to do.
Or, can I fix this somehow? Cut the metal feed line and attach a longer rubber line? Any braided steel options?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Switch to nylon, it’s almost fun to work with it’s so easy. Post a pic of what you have left to work with. Yes you’ll cut the metal then use compression fittings to switch over to nylon. Do the reverse fitting wherever you decide to jump back over to the metal. Check out some of my posts, I’ve logged a few experiences doing this job.

Switch to nylon, it’s almost fun to work with it’s so easy. Post a pic of what you have left to work with. Yes you’ll cut the metal then use compression fittings to switch over to nylon. Do the reverse fitting wherever you decide to jump back over to the metal. Check out some of my posts, I’ve logged a few experiences doing this job.
I've seen your nylon lines and the quick disconnects for the fuel filter, but don't recall seeing a photo at the fuel pump.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Look a little more, I know for sure I’ve posted pics about that because I rebuilt the fuel pump hanger with a new supply tube coming out of the mounting plate. Maybe it was in what did you do to your Mitsubishi today.....anyway yes it’s possible to fix it, not a huge project but there was delicate welding involved. Post a pic of your damaged unit.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot

Look a little more, I know for sure I’ve posted pics about that because I rebuilt the fuel pump hanger with a new supply tube coming out of the mounting plate. Maybe it was in what did you do to your Mitsubishi today.....anyway yes it’s possible to fix it, not a huge project but there was delicate welding involved. Post a pic of your damaged unit.
It's raining here so I can't get a picture. I can say I can't weld, so anything involving welding would involve somehow getting someone who can weld to my house to do it, or a different solution...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12