'01 XJ DD/All-Purpose Build

bzauche

Observer
Today was install day for the DPG Sway Bar disco cables as well as the new Bilsteins! I started with the cables first...

First step is to take the battery out:

DSC_4537_zps58e50b97.jpg

DSC_4540_zpsd24530e9.jpg

Then drill a hole on each side (the instructions say where). I don't have a stock air box as referenced in the instructions, so I guesstimated where the hole would go.

Uninstalled on the passenger side:

DSC_4541_zpsc581e781.jpg

Installed on the driver side:

DSC_4548_zps71772b0c.jpg

Then rig them up and figure out how long they need to be to serve their purpose, take them out, and crimp the cable, then cut! (Picture is un-cut but adjusted to size):

DSC_4543_zps1858c7b3.jpg

Installed!

DSC_4550_zps40fefe18.jpg

And next was the shocks. I didn't take any pictures of the removal or installation, mainly because my hands were so dirty. I did the whole job with the wheels on the ground, no jack, nothing! The rear upper shock bolts gave me no trouble at all. Just remove the old and install the new...

Front studs:

DSC_4551_zpsc66c476b.jpg

DSC_4553_zpsbd1f47f4.jpg

Installed:

DSC_4554_zps7071b1e0.jpg

DSC_4555_zps30ec7ffc.jpg

DSC_4556_zps7c0b38c9.jpg

DSC_4557_zps8cf96348.jpg

Rear installed:

DSC_4558_zpsb67763a8.jpg

I only drove it around my neighborhood to test everything out, but I could tell a difference! More stable around corners, and much more controlled braking as far as nose-dive goes. To top it all off, when I pulled out of my driveway....no squeaks! That was the first time I've gone over a bump or down a dip without any noise whatsoever.

I am planning on having OME coils and leaf springs installed by the end of Christmas break, so hopefully that will top off the road manners redo.

bzauche

Observer
Nice progress. Will the new springs net any more height?

While doing a little pre-scouting for an upcoming trip, I found this thread that might interest you. It shows a few nice trails just outside of Dahlonega.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f332/sheep-wallow-rd-nimblewill-gap-rd-dahlonega-ga-1317760/

I'm actually hoping to lower it a little bit. Right now the front is around 4" and the back is at 3" (sagging AAL from PO), so I'm hoping with the new coils and leafs that I'll be around 3" all around, with a much better ride!

My local club ventures out to Sheep Wallow quite regularly, but I haven't made it out there yet!

bzauche

Observer
Nice progress. Will the new springs net any more height?

While doing a little pre-scouting for an upcoming trip, I found this thread that might interest you. It shows a few nice trails just outside of Dahlonega.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f332/sheep-wallow-rd-nimblewill-gap-rd-dahlonega-ga-1317760/

I'm actually hoping for an even 3" front and back, instead of the 4" up front and 3" out back that I have now. I've been on some of those trails!

Today I got my switch panel installed! I specially ordered all 7 switches to have green LED's to sort of match the dash lights.

Before:

DSC_4567_zpse8ec6e25.jpg

During:

DSC_4571_zps4d480856.jpg

After:

DSC_4582_zps660f8768.jpg

DSC_4585_zpsa35ce9db.jpg

I can't wait to have enough stuff to take up all 7 switches!

I have a whole pile of lift parts just waiting to get installed, hopefully soon!

bzauche

Observer
Well, the new springs still aren't on, but they will be in due time. I am up at school right now so hopefully I'll get a free weekend soon (maybe the 31st), to install some stuff. I just ordered a CB/PA setup, so my parts pile consists of:

OME CS034RA Leafs
OME 934 Coils
Stock shackles
New u-bolts
Braided extended brake lines
Front bump stops (already put rears in)
Uniden 520XL CB
3' Firestik II and mount
Coax Cable, etc...
External speaker for the CB
PYLE 25 Watt Aluminum PA speaker

Can't wait to get everything in! I'm still trying to decide where to put the CB...I'm thinking under the steering wheel on the right side, above the gas pedal. I just don't like the whole passenger side of the trans tunnel mount idea...and where should I put the external speaker? Under the drivers seat?

A few days before I came back up to school, I put my Hi-Lift under my rear seat along with a new 30' recovery strap. I also undercoated the front and rear wheel wells with 3M Undercoating. It turned out great! I'll get some pictures when I'm putting the new springs in.

88Xj

Banned
Werner if there's a switch panel like that for preface lift Cherokees! I'd assume I could only fit like 4 at most though.

Jeeps looking amazing dude. Keep up the good works. Pics are always pleasant:)

bzauche

Observer
Werner if there's a switch panel like that for preface lift Cherokees! I'd assume I could only fit like 4 at most though.

Jeeps looking amazing dude. Keep up the good works. Pics are always pleasant:)

Actually, you pre-97'ers have a lot more options!

Thanks for the compliments!

Makes me miss my old XJ. Very very clean looking jeep, and it looks amazing!!

Thank you! It's a long way from being done but I'm enjoying the progress.

Very clean looks like mine should look lol. Subbed

Thank you!

Agree, I had an 01 Sport in green set up very similarly to this one, I am sick over selling it right now!

I'll never sell this thing, I promise! I couldn't live with myself if I did.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I'll never sell this thing, I promise! I couldn't live with myself if I did.

I said the same thing! But I had two vehicles, a house to sell, and a 180 mile move coming up for a new job.. It was a good decision financially as I ended up owning two houses for about 4 months and needed the cash to get things going at the new place, but emotionally and recreationally.. crappy, crappy decision!

I noticed yesterday that there's an old lady with a MINT 00-01 Limited 4x4 in white that works here in our building. I'm VERY tempted to go find it in the parking lot and leave a note on the windshield that she needs to call me first when she is ready to sell it!

I really like the attention to detail you are giving yours. Makes it look so finished.. great job, man!

Morticon

Adventurer
Love the switch set in the ashtray area but mine is already filled witht he factory heated seat switches are so I am looking for another spot for light switches. I heard theres a piece you can buy that changes it from 3 to buttons on the centre console under the heat knobs where the fog light button and rear wiper buttons are but I have also heard it is expesnive. any other options out there for 97+?

bzauche

Observer
I said the same thing! But I had two vehicles, a house to sell, and a 180 mile move coming up for a new job.. It was a good decision financially as I ended up owning two houses for about 4 months and needed the cash to get things going at the new place, but emotionally and recreationally.. crappy, crappy decision!

I noticed yesterday that there's an old lady with a MINT 00-01 Limited 4x4 in white that works here in our building. I'm VERY tempted to go find it in the parking lot and leave a note on the windshield that she needs to call me first when she is ready to sell it!

I really like the attention to detail you are giving yours. Makes it look so finished.. great job, man!

I mean, if there are ever extenuating circumstances where it just isn't logical for me to keep it, then I'll think about it, but I'm almost done with college and I don't have any reason to believe that I'll be selling it anytime soon! Old lady cars are often the best, snatch it up!

Nice progess. Your going to love those OME accessories.

Thanks man, I'm really looking forward to the new ride. The shocks have already helped a ton, so I can't wait to get the springs in! How's the 4Runner search coming?

Love the switch set in the ashtray area but mine is already filled witht he factory heated seat switches are so I am looking for another spot for light switches. I heard theres a piece you can buy that changes it from 3 to buttons on the centre console under the heat knobs where the fog light button and rear wiper buttons are but I have also heard it is expesnive. any other options out there for 97+?

The only other one that I know of would be the kind that partially replaces an air conditioning vent. Daystar makes them, like this: Link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94