1988 LC QUESTIONS

newworld2004

Adventurer
Hi, all

I am trying to find out what is the resonable price to pay for 1988 FJ62, this FL car and no rust, exterior and interior looks really good, has 240K miles on it. is there any site we can check what is worth for this kind of trucks? what should I look for when buying fj62.?

thx

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Ih8mud is the undisputed source for all things Land Cruiser information, that said there are plenty of LC lovers here on ExPo too. Its really hard to judge a price based on a short description alone but assuming its truly 100% rust free, runs clean, original, no sheetmetal or frame work... in Utah it would fetch $3500-6500. I'd expect more or less in different regions, Utah 60's get rusty and thus true rust-free ones demand a $1000-3000 premium over the same but rusty setup.

fjrohrs

Adventurer
Ih8mud.com has a lot of resources for you but seeing as these are collectable the values can range quite a bit.

newworld2004

Adventurer
he is asking 8900. 240 K , it is florida truck, exterior and interior looks nice, it is blue. I just don't know about LC in general? do they have timing belt ? will you go for FJ60 or FJ62 since FJ60 is 3K cheaper?

cruiseroutfit

No timing belt on a 3FE, they are direct gear drive, nothing you really worry about until the overall motor needs a rebuild. $8900 sounds steep unless it had some significant upgrade and or maintenance such a a rebuild engine or overhauled transmission. The FJ60 is a fabulous platform, basic differences are the manual 4 spd transmission and the carb'd 2F. If you don't mind either of those then I would consider an FJ60. That said, a $6900 FJ60 is still up on the high end price wise and again should be pretty mint and or upgraded.

These trucks are really only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. They're underpowered, heavy rigs with crappy transmissions (unless properly maintained). That being said, I love the classic lines and styling and am now on my second FJ62. Granted I've stumbled on two exceptional deals. My current one has a seized engine and I'm rebuilding a 3fe in the garage over the winter. I'll also be converting the truck to a manual transmission. I plan to have a rig ready to 'drive around the world' for about $5000 all in....

cruiser guy

Explorer
Rust hides in the back half of the frame specifically around where the tube that carries the rear shocks attaches to the frame. If that area is clean then likely you really do have a rust free sample.

newworld2004

Adventurer
IMG-20121211-00105.jpg
Rust hides in the back half of the frame specifically around where the tube that carries the rear shocks attaches to the frame. If that area is clean then likely you really do have a rust free sample.

take a look at attched file is that bad rust? per saler this all the rust ? 205000 on it. 88 LC

cruiseroutfit

That is very serious rust and worst yet its been re-painted so you can only logically assume there is a bunch more of that mess hiding. I wouldn't pay more than $1500-2500 for a rig with that rust, if the rest of the truck is in rough shape more like $1000 or less, basically parts.

newworld2004

Adventurer
IMG-20121211-00105.jpg
That is very serious rust and worst yet its been re-painted so you can only logically assume there is a bunch more of that mess hiding. I wouldn't pay more than $1500-2500 for a rig with that rust, if the rest of the truck is in rough shape more like $1000 or less, basically parts.

most north east tucks are rusty, it is really hard to find one withought rust. I haven't seen the truck inperson, per saler frame is solid.!!!

thx

cruiseroutfit

View attachment 135387

most north east tucks are rusty, it is really hard to find one withought rust. I haven't seen the truck inperson, per saler frame is solid.!!!

thx

I realize that, Utah 60's are not much better. However, that doesn't make them worth $8900 or $5900 (you didn't mention if this is the 60 or 62). Its ~$1000 to ship a truck across the US. Start shopping in AZ, NM, CA, NV or find that gem locally before you pay $6k more than something is worth. I don't know how something could have that bad of body rust yet have a 'solid' frame and underpinnings. The two are generally pretty proportional.

newworld2004

Adventurer
I realize that, Utah 60's are not much better. However, that doesn't make them worth $8900 or $5900 (you didn't mention if this is the 60 or 62). Its ~$1000 to ship a truck across the US. Start shopping in AZ, NM, CA, NV or find that gem locally before you pay $6k more than something is worth. I don't know how something could have that bad of body rust yet have a 'solid' frame and underpinnings. The two are generally pretty proportional.

it is 88 -FJ62. you are right I can't believe frame is solid either. he is asking 3800, nego.

cruiseroutfit

it is 88 -FJ62. you are right I can't believe frame is solid either. he is asking 3800, nego.

Gotcha, I assumed we were still talking about the 88 in your original post. Assuming that is in fact the only rust issue and the frame is in fact solid, $3800 wouldn't be too out of line.

newworld2004

Adventurer
Gotcha, I assumed we were still talking about the 88 in your original post. Assuming that is in fact the only rust issue and the frame is in fact solid, $3800 wouldn't be too out of line.

My original post was also for 88 FJ62.It is in good shape ,and I am not seeing any rust atleast not from pics, he is asking 8500$ with 240K. my second 88 find is about 3 hrs from me, and has the rust issue I posted pics earlier. he is asking 3800, with 205K.( needs breaks pad too) according to saler front-end engine is done by previous owner ( not sure what that means). 8500 is way too much money for me to spend, I don't want to spend more 4 K for Fj62 or 60 . I am not looking for show truck , however a decent ruest free ones. as far as looking at NV or CA, and west coast it is a very good idea , however since I am in east coast how can I find one and ship it without seeing it up close? unless I fly up there and that is another 500-700 per ticket.

Regards,

Thx

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Ideally you find someone to take a look at it or buy it from a trusted source, sure its a gamble but folks do it every day :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne