Post up your drawer/storage system

Faolan

Yep tube is Aluminum for the frame then used square tube connectors

Over in Aus I get them from here..

http://www.bunnings.com.au/connect-it-2-way-corner-joiner_p1138466

Heres another site for similar ones in the UK

http://www.rosshandling.co.uk/connectors.asp

you get the idea...

The joints sure make is easy putting it all together however two thing to bear in mind..

1. They are not structural. So the load bearing and strength in mine comes from bracing it all together with the boards.
2. When they are in the joint they are pretty hard to pull out. I had to shorten a few of the lengths in the frame and when trying to get the connector out the broke off in the Aluminum.... a total pain in the *** to then cut, hammer and rip out. So I had to head back down to the store and get some more which just wasted time!

Over all though will definitely use a gain, the frame is so light and with the panels bolted on using hidden nuts its strong as you could want.

Used it a few times now and love it, best thing I have done to it...so far!

Faolan

Nice, they didn't have those flange ends when I was building, would have been useful as feet and to secure/bolt down

Lucky j

Explorer
Every time I go across the border with the jeep and trailer with amo box container and tarp, they ask me where I'm going and what I'm bringing, I tell them I going to see familly or to a jeep jamboree, and that The box contain tools, parts and recovery gear, that the trailer as camping gear and off road tire, they just want to see under the trailer tarp, and I'm thrue in 1 or 2 minutes.

It's been like that for 20 years, twice a year, US or canadian border, just came back from a ski trip to the alps, had to look for a custom agent to make sure everything was in order.

He started laugthing at us in a gentle way saying that all was good without looking at anything.
So to me, answering to questions as they are asked, justed to the trick.

If you want to avoid long line on busy weekend, you can take side road border crossing, and they ask why you went true that way, tell them you wanted to see the side road. If they want to search your car, let them do it! You will make a friend. But the only time I got search, I kind of ask for it and my work permit had been crossed with somebody else of the same name with a contraband conviction. Took 5 minutes, and all was cleared. That was 15 years ago. Nothing since.

But it could happen again next time, it happens!

Sorry for the post interuption. Keep the storage coming!

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Nice setup Faolan. I used a bit of Queblok to make a small floor extension for the back of my XJ Cherokee many years ago. It worked really well and is very light. There are some great storage systems on this thread but many are waaaay overbuilt. Nice to see a light simple one.

What did you attach the plywood to the Queblok frame with? And can/do you sleep in the back of the Patrol?

HB

edit - Answers already posted... except for the 'sleeping in the back' one.

Faolan

Yes mate, can sleep in the back, length of it is 6ft so I just fit, lean the front seat forward and there is a bit more. Will try with two in there at some point but not had to yet as its a second option if a quick heads down, an area we would rather not sleep out or the weather is too bad... Plan B sleeping bed.

southpier

Expedition Leader
....some great storage systems on this thread but many are waaaay overbuilt. ....

i look at rig modifications the way some look at fishing. it really doesn't matter if you have to stop at the store on the way home for supper, it's the zen of it all.

MotoDave

Explorer
The framing reminds me of Goose Gear.

Yup, I'm sure that's exactly what Goose Gear uses. From the pictures i've seen they're using the friction fit connectors (maybe with a screw run through for good measure) and the flanged tubes:
Link to all of the components:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#friction-grip-structural-framing/=wr2yh1

I've been meaning to work up some designs for a truck-vault style truck bed drawer system using either the friction fit stuff or 80/20 extrusions. Would require a little bit of machining to make the drawer rollers work the way truck-vault's do, and the same for the latch, but I think it could work out pretty clean.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Yup, I'm sure that's exactly what Goose Gear uses. From the pictures i've seen they're using the friction fit connectors (maybe with a screw run through for good measure) and the flanged tubes:
Link to all of the components:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#friction-grip-structural-framing/=wr2yh1

I've been meaning to work up some designs for a truck-vault style truck bed drawer system using either the friction fit stuff or 80/20 extrusions. Would require a little bit of machining to make the drawer rollers work the way truck-vault's do, and the same for the latch, but I think it could work out pretty clean.

Its a very clean look and tougher than woodpecker lips from what I hear!

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Kind of on topic... I have a Nissan Frontier with the factory track system mounted in the bed. I was hoping to find slides that can be mounted to the track system and then to the bottom of a platform that can be moved in and out to close to the full 6 foot length of the bed to ease loading and unloading when we go camping. I likely will use just a thick sheet of plywood to which I add some carpet (spare sleeping quarters) and some fold flat type tie down points.

I don't need the drawers as i have a ton of different bags and hard side cases to organize the gear and want to retain as much as possible the complete open cab area for dogs, mowers, firewood etc... PS i already have a camping toy hauler trailer too.

Any suggestions?

MotoDave

Explorer
Kind of on topic... I have a Nissan Frontier with the factory track system mounted in the bed. I was hoping to find slides that can be mounted to the track system and then to the bottom of a platform that can be moved in and out to close to the full 6 foot length of the bed to ease loading and unloading when we go camping. I likely will use just a thick sheet of plywood to which I add some carpet (spare sleeping quarters) and some fold flat type tie down points.

I don't need the drawers as i have a ton of different bags and hard side cases to organize the gear and want to retain as much as possible the complete open cab area for dogs, mowers, firewood etc... PS i already have a camping toy hauler trailer too.

Any suggestions?

Seen www.bedslide.com? I've checked them out, they aren't full extension but close enough. They don't use typical drawer slides, but rather they use a pair of rollers fixed to the back of the bed, and rollers that ride in a C channel fixed to the platform at the front of the bed. IMO they eat up a lot of height since the rollers are underneath the platform, I'd mount them to the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier