Post up your drawer/storage system

Clintnz

Observer
Some great stuff in this thread - awesome craftmanship & cunning designs!

Here's my basic setup, I first made the boxes 10 years ago when I got the Landcruiser. They are made out of a 12mm high density waterproof fibreboard, really tough stuff. Not sure you can even buy it anymore as the mill that made it burned down.

i-8wsmmRc-L.jpg

The initial plan of building aluminium drawers to fit in the boxes never happened after I found that 2 plastic bins per side would slide in nicely:

That setup worked really well for many years. Fast forward to a few months back when I modded it to fit my new fridge. The modular design has made that really easy.

i-Hppmp2g-L.jpg

I got some 60kg full extension drawer sliders off Fullie on trademe. The 19mm plywood is overkill but i had some in stock & couldn't be arsed buying a whole sheet of 12mm.

i-zqBRncg-L.jpg

A local sheetmetal shop bent up the alu tray for me & I welded it up. They made it a little wider than my drawing so it only just fitted in, but the tight fit means no rattles & it still slides nicely. The drawer sits on the bottom of the box when retracted so the slides don't get beat up by the car bouncing around offroad.

i-3fBh3w5-L.jpg

i-zRd3gNp-L.jpg

I think I'll make a water tank to fill the empty space in the drawer alongside the fridge. Should fit about 10 litres in there.

Also made a fold out table for the door.

i-nLtLPG5-L.jpg

In the left front compartment is a 60A/hr sealed battery which runs the fridge for a couple of days no worries. The other side has recovery gear & 1st aid kit.

i-sbfnTjx-L.jpg

The new improved setup got a test out on a 2 week trip trip last month & it works great.

Cheers
Clint

Last edited:

Sand1235

20170625_085259.jpg
20170625_085246.jpg20170625_085238.jpg

My drawer slides have been done for a while. Finally got the shelf finished. Really like this set up for a daily driver. Pretty flexible.

Just need to get a divider between the shelf and back seat.

The gas can is actually a cooler. Not hauling gas in the cab.

SARguru

Observer
What would you like to know? I don't have a build thread, but will try and answer any questions.

Im looking to have a split drawer like the one you have.
Did you build it from scratch or is it assembled from parts already made?
Are the slides bought as a unit or did you make them with what looks like angle iron and bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand1235

Im looking to have a split drawer like the one you have.
Did you build it from scratch or is it assembled from parts already made?
Are the slides bought as a unit or did you make them with what looks like angle iron and bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built everything myself except the drawer slides. The drawer slides are KV 28" lock in/lock out slides. Rated for 500 lbs. in shop settings, 300 lbs. in automotive settings, and 150 lbs. when turned on their sides. I think the side rating is greatly exaggerated.

The frame I mounted them too in the Jeep is only three pieces of aluminum, all three being 28" long. It's two 3" x 3" aluminum angle. And one 3" x 3" aluminum "T". All three of them are ⅜" thick. Way over kill, but it spaces the drawer slides up to clear the lip in the back of my Jeep. And the 3" long legs of the aluminum is perfect because the drawer slides itself is 3" tall.

Then I used four pieces of ¼" thick 28" long 2" x 2" aluminum angle too secure to the drawer slides and come up and over to give me the structure for the slider tops. The tops are ¾" solid plastic (brand called starboard I think) and have the recessed in L track. The L track then gets bolted through the plastic top into the aluminum angle below. Makes it very strong tie down points. And the plastic tops, so far, rarely have to support much weight.

Then underneath I used 4 little pieces of the 2" x 2" aluminum angle too make small supports to turn a pair of slides on its sides too give me the cutting board underneath. That top is also solid plastic, but ½" thick.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Here's mine

Houses:
60L water tank
3rd Battery and Electrical distribution for canopy areas
Air compressor
2- 40" long drawers
Fridge Freezer

Everything else on top

vLfGwtb.jpg

zr1nZuf.jpg