Post up your drawer/storage system

jswift716

Adventurer
I have been searching for a countersunk roller to install on the frame side of a drawer, allowing the bottom of the drawer to slide against the frame. I have been able to locate the type that is a ball, but a roller would be more appropriate. Does anyone have a source for this? See picture below

View attachment 396861
That's an option I didn't think of! Thanks man

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
I love seeing the way people innovate and take different approaches here. The creativity is impressive on this thread. Good inspiration for my own (coming soon).

Preventative maintenance this week, sliders the following and hopefully in 3-4 weeks I can finally start the Rear Storage!

Cheers

Shred-Head

ARB Outback Solutions

Well I bit the bullet and decided to buy a set of ARB outback solutions drawers for my 5th gen 4runner. I previously built my own single-drawer and cargo platform before this, but I was not entirely satisfied and didn't have the tools or time to re-build my cargo system since I recently moved (most of my tools are at my parent's house now). I'm definitely satisfied with the ARB drawers and expect that they will outlast my truck and get passed on to the next truck whenever that may be. The drawers are absolutely rock solid and I can use the slider top to anchor my ice chest on trips or eventually install a fridge.

Here's my old setup:
2016-05-07_023923353_2C559_iOS.jpg2016-05-16_025003165_97022_iOS.jpg

And my new set up:
Photo Apr 24, 9 01 59 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 24, 9 02 46 AM.jpg

BTCSXJ

This is the start of my drawer. 1" tube steel and Douglas Fir. I learned to weld and do woodworking this fall and this is my attempt at building a reasonably priced drawer. I still need to build the actual drawer, but its off to a good start, imo.

I swear I didn't copy you... but I built almost the EXACT same frame and drawer setup! And i'm also from Austin! :beer:

Here is my completed drawer. I think the metal frame is great because I was able to add a cross member and flush mount the wood panels into it. This gives me steel points to insert rivet nuts and attach tie downs. Also it means I was able to create a single large drawer which I am free to configure however I want with dividers (rather than two drawers), and it still spans the full width with heavy gear on top and doesn't sag!

17884288_10154516784927157_5836503623227119220_n.jpg2017-03-31 20_48_03-CARGO4 (Active) - Creo Parametric.jpg

Did you use angle to support the flush wood panels?
I swear I didn't copy you... but I built almost the EXACT same frame and drawer setup! And i'm also from Austin! :beer:

Here is my completed drawer. I think the metal frame is great because I was able to add a cross member and flush mount the wood panels into it. This gives me steel points to insert rivet nuts and attach tie downs. Also it means I was able to create a single large drawer which I am free to configure however I want with dividers (rather than two drawers), and it still spans the full width with heavy gear on top and doesn't sag!

View attachment 398059View attachment 398060

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Well I bit the bullet and decided to buy a set of ARB outback solutions drawers for my 5th gen 4runner. I previously built my own single-drawer and cargo platform before this, but I was not entirely satisfied and didn't have the tools or time to re-build my cargo system since I recently moved (most of my tools are at my parent's house now). I'm definitely satisfied with the ARB drawers and expect that they will outlast my truck and get passed on to the next truck whenever that may be. The drawers are absolutely rock solid and I can use the slider top to anchor my ice chest on trips or eventually install a fridge.

Here's my old setup:
View attachment 397700View attachment 397701

And my new set up:
View attachment 397702View attachment 397703

What were the part numbers for the ARB drawers you selected there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosmo

Adventurer
Nice setup. Cost? :)

What sort of material is that on top of the drawers? It sort of looks like a textured material. Slippery or rubbery and non slip?

BTCSXJ

Did you use angle to support the flush wood panels?

No, I used tabs to with holes in them so I could also screw the panels down from underneath. There are 6 tabs per panel, four corners and a set in the middle. I can load gear including a heavy cooler all the way to the ceiling of the 4runner and there is no noticeable bowing of the drawer top. Turned out great. I also carpeted those panels so the factory cargo mat stays put on top of them.

JD914

Observer
Here's mine. 2004 4Runner

I got to take it out for 6 nights in Death Valley and realized it might have worked TOO well, since I found myself waiting around every morning while everybody packed up their stuff!

Back, all closed up:
7c62578b62ecad74ac5111d71b1f2507.jpg

The drawer has enough room for all my cooking supplies plus any non-perishable items.

Open:
93d3e82d010025f18ab637e2432159df.jpg

292b3b9d48043088725996d27290ec6a.jpg

The passenger side has a shelf for a case to hold all my loose camping and recovery gear, with extra space around it for extra stuff. All long items, like chairs, etc, go across the floor.
a249f4daea9fe372dcbc6e8633913991.jpg

Sleeping platform:
68a8e2451c4d1a278dd0d249bf5012a0.jpg

I simply let a little air out of my mattress and fold it up with the pillow and sleeping bag inside, then strap it down:
266161ee7006b0286356e67e8b473435.jpg

9fea8eb746b8b1273547004909cc8932.jpg

The whole thing breaks down into 3 sections making removal much easier. Also, I can install just the fridge slide/drawer section and still run the back seats.

It didn't come out perfectly, but I'm very happy with the results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles