NM-Frontier

Explorer
Here ya go:

photo%2B%289%29.JPG

NM-Frontier

Explorer
IMG_7288.JPG

Out with the old in with the new!

Finally catching up with some much needed maintenance, new fluid for the diffs and t-case. Next is wheel bearing repack.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Out of curiosity how many miles do you have on the clock and what are your plans engine wise? I've got around 215k with as far as I know the original head gasket. Leaning towards a complete engine rebuild around 250k or 4 years if all goes well. I've contemplated a V8 or diesel upgrade, but currently a rebuild would be more realistic. What are your plans? Thanks ahead of time for your insight.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I'm sitting at 206K right now, and like you pretty sure on the original HG. That is a good question! I have no idea what I'm gonna do down the road, I like your idea of planning for 250K, gives time to decide and build funds. I have always lusted after the diesel but now that I got the 74 I'v been able to "scratch that itch" if you will. A 4.7 swap sounds like a great combo, but cost looks to be right there with a diesel if you want to do it right. Keeping it Toyota is a sure thing(I think) but the most affordable V8 swap would be a Vortec erod. Another crazy idea I had was to hold out a few years sell the 80(I know I said it) and pick up a JDM HZJ77, but that would be on the extreme of possibilities for me! Yea I have no idea what I'm gonna do!
Keeping the 1fz sounds to me like a good sane plan, these motors are great and well worth the time and investment to rebuild.

So I'm afraid I don't have much insight for you on my plans, you seem ahead of me on this!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I have been doing all this maintance on my truck, I have 144k aprox. miles and I am looking to upgrade to a 100 or a 200 series in the near future... time will tell!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Today I got the drawers pull out of the Cruiser for some much needed cleaning, some mods and, reconfiguration. Main mods will be to try and add a few more cutouts to save some weight and tighten up the latch-clasp interface to reduce some rattling. As for re-configuring, I'm looking at cutting down to just the two stacked drawers, and mounting the fridge on the left side to give more room to the fold down table I'm adding to the spare tire swing out. Still not 100% on how I'm gonna do it but I don't need all three drawers all the time, as one is almost always empty except wile on trips and the contents could easily go in a case of some sort.

Current set-up
IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

Drawers removed; boy they do take up a lot of space!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Today I got the drawers pull out of the Cruiser for some much needed cleaning, some mods and, reconfiguration. Main mods will be to try and add a few more cutouts to save some weight and tighten up the latch-clasp interface to reduce some rattling. As for re-configuring, I'm looking at cutting down to just the two stacked drawers, and mounting the fridge on the left side to give more room to the fold down table I'm adding to the spare tire swing out. Still not 100% on how I'm gonna do it but I don't need all three drawers all the time, as one is almost always empty except wile on trips and the contents could easily go in a case of some sort.

Current set-up
IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

Drawers removed; boy they do take up a lot of space!

I like the access panel on the passengers side. How do you keep from loosing stuff inside?
With everything out makes for a good time to install a compressor mount.:)

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Phil,

The access has a little cubby behind it. Didn't know others didn't have these. Some type of mount would be sweet, the Puma may be a bit much for me. Still working on the new lay out.

photo%2B%2812%29.JPG

Last edited:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Got some work done on the drawer project today. Started off at the car wash this morning vacuuming out all the dirt and dust that has accumulated after the last few years of dirt roads and camping. Then came home and got to cutting on the old drawer case. After some careful work with the jig saw I got the case in to two parts.

photo%2B1%2B%282%29.JPG

Once in two I opened up the existing cut out on the base to help take some weight off

photo%2B2%2B%282%29.JPG

Before

photo%2B3%2B%282%29.JPG

After

I also added some "speed holes" to the back and one of the cross pieces. Then sanded and re stained the side I cut the other drawer off of. I didn't go so far as to fill in the old screw holes but now its all sealed up from the elements. Final job was to re drill the mount holes and test fit on the passenger side of the cargo area.

IMG_7399.JPG

IMG_7403.JPG

Next phase is to get the fridge mounted, looking at slides and think the new extended ARB would be a good fit and take advantage of the space the best.
All in all the mods came out well, and was easier then I thought it would be. Not to sure if it will be this way forever now, but I'm gonna try it out, I love the convenience of the drawers but seems to wast some valuable space. Finding the right balance of convenience and space efficiency is what this project is all about. You guys will be the first to know when I get it figured out!:sombrero:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Got a few of the finishing touches done on the drawer mods this weekend and started looking at the rest of the cargo area. I thinking 1/4 rubber mat with a couple of tie down rails for the fridge and other stuff next to the drawers. With the fridge lower then it was before I don't really see a need for a slide anymore. Compared to the height the fridge used to be at its easy to get in to now.

photo%2B1%2B%283%29.JPG

photo%2B2%2B%283%29.JPG

Also thinking of using some of the $$ I was maybe gonna spend on the slide to pick up a Puma mount from Phil or a basket style from 4x4Labs to put the H20 cans up on the side where the third row would mount, access may be hard with the fridge but it's not to bad to reach with the rear seat flipped down, it frees up some good space up there. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Just got through the whole thread, well done! Like your evolution of change, interior cargo arrangement is a continuous process to get right.

rocrunr

Adventurer
Nice build Frontier! I have the same plans for my 93 just getting the routine service looked after. I am going to see how many miles I can get out of the 4.5. I am currently at 217K and from what I have read on here have a long way to go yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94