How many of us bring dutch oven along?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
When I'm doing charcoal or wood, I use a tripod and firepot system (basically a blatant ripoff of the Roadii Firegrill):

IMG_20140920_152601.jpg

This is nice because the chain arrangement lets me raise/lower the oven over the coals. I can also hang a grill that adjusts up/down on cables inside the legs. I'd need to add a spacer to use a discada, though.

But here in SoCal we have many places with burn-ban in place, so I'd like to be able to use a gas appliance. Since I hate the idea of bringing a "turkey fryer" style burner and a propane fire ring, I'm trying to figure out how to make one to double-duty. I'm considering making a "modular" stand with detachable legs (or adding attachments to my tripod) where I could fit either the "fireplace" burner or something with serious heat for using with a grill or discada...

Just mulling ideas...

Mccaf

Adventurist
When I'm doing charcoal or wood, I use a tripod and firepot system (basically a blatant ripoff of the Roadii Firegrill):

IMG_20140920_152601.jpg

This is nice because the chain arrangement lets me raise/lower the oven over the coals. I can also hang a grill that adjusts up/down on cables inside the legs. I'd need to add a spacer to use a discada, though.

But here in SoCal we have many places with burn-ban in place, so I'd like to be able to use a gas appliance. Since I hate the idea of bringing a "turkey fryer" style burner and a propane fire ring, I'm trying to figure out how to make one to double-duty. I'm considering making a "modular" stand with detachable legs (or adding attachments to my tripod) where I could fit either the "fireplace" burner or something with serious heat for using with a grill or discada...

Just mulling ideas...

Hey, that is awesome! Got any for sale?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

IMG_20140920_152601.jpg

Just mulling ideas...

That setup would be so easy to build, could store the tripod in the same bag as the Springbar poles and not take up much space, the wheels are turning in my head!

pyrate

Rollin' along

IMG_20140920_152601.jpg

Just mulling ideas...

What are you using for your fire pan? @herbie

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
What are you using for your fire pan? @herbie

A Galvanized Feed Pan (for livestock). Depending on where you live, may also be available more cheaply as an "oil drain pan" from an auto-parts store.

I used 3 U-bolts to make the loops that hang on the tripod legs. At some point I also cut a slot in the side of the pan and put a sliding damper-door on it so I can regulate the airflow a little bit, but I don't think I have a photo of that handy...

pyrate

Rollin' along
A Galvanized Feed Pan (for livestock). Depending on where you live, may also be available more cheaply as an "oil drain pan" from an auto-parts store.

I used 3 U-bolts to make the loops that hang on the tripod legs. At some point I also cut a slot in the side of the pan and put a sliding damper-door on it so I can regulate the airflow a little bit, but I don't think I have a photo of that handy...

Thanks. I am in SD as well. :)

jwlester

Observer
Thanks for reviving this old thread. I've learned a bit. Looking to get my first two DOs for camp use. Weight isn't an issue as these will go in a trailer, but I'd like to conserve space by nesting. I'm thinking a larger (12"-8qt?) for main meals and something smaller (8"?) for desserts and/or bread. Have to figure out what nests together. This is for a family of 5. What would your recommendation be?

What is your opinion of the quality difference between Lodge and the Camp Chef items? Everything I have for home use is Lodge (mostly older), but did see a decent price advantage for the camp chef and saw it referenced earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the input.

dcg141

Adventurer
Thanks for reviving this old thread. I've learned a bit. Looking to get my first two DOs for camp use. Weight isn't an issue as these will go in a trailer, but I'd like to conserve space by nesting. I'm thinking a larger (12"-8qt?) for main meals and something smaller (8"?) for desserts and/or bread. Have to figure out what nests together. This is for a family of 5. What would your recommendation be?

What is your opinion of the quality difference between Lodge and the Camp Chef items? Everything I have for home use is Lodge (mostly older), but did see a decent price advantage for the camp chef and saw it referenced earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the input.
I have a collection of both and honestly one seems to work as well as the other. I go kayaking in East TN/Western NC and pass by the Lodge factory and have picked up some seconds at their store. I usually carry a 12 inch and either a 8 or ten also when we camp. I almost always use the smaller one to make cornbread. I don't have a 14 inch yet but I plan on getting one at some point. I like roasting whole chickens in a DO and that's really tight in a 12.

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer

The biggest issue I have had with the Camp Chef ovens is they usually have some intricate design or lettering on the lids and it's harder to keep clean. The Lodges tend to be less ornate so don't keep charcoal, or in the case of seasoning, big clumps of oil caught in hard to clean corners.

petefuller

I just bought a CampChef set that bass pro shop had on sale, it seems to have a lot rougher surface than lodge so I'm hoping its not a lot harder to clean. Cleaning is not my forte.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I just bought a CampChef set that bass pro shop had on sale, it seems to have a lot rougher surface than lodge so I'm hoping its not a lot harder to clean. Cleaning is not my forte.

I don’t think the surface texture is going to be a big deal if you’re seasoned well. My issue is the pots that have raised drawings, lettering, etc. I have a Lewis and Clark edition that is a PITA to clean or season the outside of the lid. As to inside cleaning, I’m a fan of liners.

pyrate

Rollin' along

It seems the newer ovens are cast with a rough texture. Seasoning helps but I just cooked some things in both of mine, old and new, and amazing how much easier the old, smooth one is to clean. I really wanted to sand the bottom of the newer one.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Yup! need all the info... new to DO camp ovens but been using CO skillits for 30n yrs.

Just picked up a NEW Lodge 14 C/O and and American Outback 8 camp oven with legs...
Reseasoned 3 times and hopefully ready to go. Herbie's tripod looks friggin awesome for open campfire cooking.
Thanks to all contributions.......from a rookie...

Love using our Dutch ovens as much as possible. I know the liners help for cleaning and I will use them if we are making a sticky desert but I like to way food tastes when cooked in cast iron. For this reason I wont use a liner when cooking either breakfast or dinner.

Ragman

Currently doing a tour of Southern Utah. So far cinnamon rolls in a 12 in shallow and this morning Jiffy cornbread in the 8 inch. Heavy no doubt but the 8 in nests isn’t the 12 and reduces the required space. In my mind a must have. This is the first trip I left the cast skillet home and broughtt only a Campchef ci griddle and the ovens. I have not missed the skillet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online