1980 Toyota Hilux Longbed 4x4

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Great find! Love the color and love those wheels too. I wouldn't change much at all on that personally. I might powdercoat the wheels a different color and upgrade the suspension, brakes, etc, and I wouldn't run larger than 32" tires. It's almost prefect as is.

jeverich

Luddite
Awesome find! Just moved to Bellingham, and I'm amazed at the amount of older Toyota Pickups in pristine condition!

Seriously considering picking one up and turning my '07 into a dedicated expo rig.

If I were you, I'd leave it as is; I know that it's difficult... but I personally prefer these trucks with original tires/suspension. Or, you could just sell it to me?

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Keeping searching, these Toyotas are around if you look hard enough. There was very recently a nice blue 1980 or 1983 Longbed on Craigslist up north of Seattle about a week ago. I plan to keep this a very low key rig and will address some comfort and convenience items like freshen up the interior, etc. I would like to do a nice front bumper and winch, but fear the backlash from all you Toyota purists haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I was at the parts store the other day and parked right next to a new(er) FJ Cruiser. I have never seen the color before, was a dark tan, looked really really good. Got me thinking of a reprint in that exact color, but flat. Thoughts? Anybody know the name of that color?

J

JWP58

Sandstorm.

I love the color and if my paint ever goes south, my tacoma will be sandstorm.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
As I have already said:Wow1:. However, I am not opposed to setting it up to run 33X9.5s. Meaning suspension and gears. I would also bedline it, and undercoat it if that has not already been done. Then I would do cool very mild sliders for that just in case moment, and add a nice bumper front and rear. The front holding a nice little winch. I love the looks, however having one set up makes it more fun to use all the time. I would never change its color, that color rocks.

Last edited:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Well, in 9 months of ownership, the only mod I have done is took the canopy off. I daily drive this truck and it's still going strong. Plans include a Softopper black canvas canopy in the near future.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
WoW! Awesome Hilux!!...

I SOOOOO badly wanted a longbed when I had my 1980....

Here's what mine looked like on 33x9.5 Buckshots:

Buckshot80b.jpg
Buckshot80a.jpg

These pics were just a couple days after i had it...I had the rims and tires already n my '88 PU, so i just swapped them to the '80.

The next mods were to pull the stupid orange antennas and the POS baja roll bar, and then I bought a nice used grille for it....I never DID get the chance to swap the later rectangular lights out, back to the true round ones it was SUPPOSED to have...

I SOOOO miss that truck... :(

I HAD tons of 1st Gen parts before we moved, but the new land owner stole everything I had in our 32'x60' pole barn... :(

I think i have a few bits of interior stuff, though if you're interested...I was always VERY picky about the condition of the pics I picked up, so whatever I have SHOULD be in decent shape, IIRC.

Last edited:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Nice truck, yourself! Too bad you don't still have it. PM inbound reference the parts you may still have!

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Does anybody have a photo of a 1st Gen Toyota pickup with a Softopper canvas canopy? I've search all over the place and haven't been able to find a photo.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Picked up some new FJ Cruiser steel wheels

tapegebe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier