1980 Toyota Hilux Longbed 4x4

Arktikos

Explorer
Well, in 9 months of ownership, the only mod I have done is took the canopy off. I daily drive this truck and it's still going strong. Plans include a Softopper black canvas canopy in the near future.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good move keeping it stock. I like your new wheels. Why do you want a soft top?

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Here is a tan older Soft Topper.

Thanks... Looks like the Softopper is the way to go. Here in the rainy PNW, I need a canopy occasionally. Add to that the convenience of being able to move it out of the way by yourself, in minutes for larger loads, and it seems like the ideal solution to multiple problems. Not to mention the fact it looks fantastic on almost every truck I've seen one on.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Have you test-fit those FJ wheels, especially on the front? The later wheels usually have too much backspacing for the earlier, solid-axle Toyotas. You may need to use wheel spacers. The wheel diameter on those may be large enough to clear the steering arms but if they do fit on, you'll end up with a pretty narrow track.

Last edited:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I haven't fit them just yet, but thanks for the heads up. I'm going with a small OME lift to clear 33's, then I'll play around with the rim/tire set up. Spacers won't be a deal killer for me, but I don't want too narrow of a track.

82fb

Adventurer
I think 35's will do perfectly for you. Big enough to float over a lot of snow. Can fit them with small lift and fender trimming. I would do a drop hanger in the front, since the stock hangers will crack eventually. 4 inch lift is plenty, and then get a dual case adapter or 4.7 gears. 8 inch wide rims, 3.5 inch backspacing. 5.29 gears and ARBS. Oh, better get some longs in there too. Love those trucks.

82fb

Adventurer
Love those trucks in pretty much any form.

My first was an 83 longbed, then sold it and got an 82 longbed, which I wheeled hard, then sold and got an 82 Trailblazer, which was awesome. Put a 4.3 vortec in it, along with Tacoma ARB rear, D44 front, dual cases, etc. It was fun, but then needed a daily driver, so I found an 81 Trekker in awesome shape and drove them both for a few years.

Then had some kids, blah, blah blah. Now drive a suburban and wheel a Cherokee. Hmmm, progress? nope. well except for the kids. they're awesome!

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Does anybody know if an OME 3" lift will allow for 35's? Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find an OME 4" lift for a 1st Gen Toyota. But if they do make a 4" lift, I'm sure 35's would fit much better. Hoping to get the lift ordered and sitting in my garage this month. Also need to start thinking about tires...something that would compliment those FJ steelies nicely, and kick *** in the PNW snow and relentless rain.

thefatkid

Observer
Does anybody know if an OME 3" lift will allow for 35's? Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find an OME 4" lift for a 1st Gen Toyota. But if they do make a 4" lift, I'm sure 35's would fit much better. Hoping to get the lift ordered and sitting in my garage this month. Also need to start thinking about tires...something that would compliment those FJ steelies nicely, and kick *** in the PNW snow and relentless rain.

That picture of my truck is with an OME kit. The tires are 32". I'm not sure 35s would fit too well. I can try and look for a better side shot, that is flexed a little.

Edit: this is the only other one I can find that is kinda side profile. I'm going to run 33x10.5r15 or 255/75r16 when these 32s wear out.

Last edited:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Thanks for the photo. That is the 3" kit, correct? I could always do the unthinkable.... body lift, to clear 35's...oh the humanity.

thefatkid

Observer
Yep, 3" inch kit. If I were to try and clear 35" tires I would modify the wheel wells/floor boards. It would take much trimming and in my case, the floor boards need replacement anyways. If you were to do a body lift, it would only take an inch to an inch and a half. Not really a big deal in my book if you use good hardware/kit.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WOWY!!! Man that takes me back. My Dads was White, but it was the exact same truck and I spent from like 3-15 years old driving it, either from his lap or by myself around on our property. Beautiful truck you got there man, i love the color too aye. Enjoy.

Cheers

Dave

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I swung by the dealership yesterday to confirm the color I want to paint my truck. It's not the lighter tan color, as posted earlier, but the new FJ Quicksand color. Absolutely love this color, but didn't know the name of paint code until now.

su4u4ega.jpg

Also came across another 1st Gen with a Soft Topper canopy. This is definitely on the list.

ty4a5eby.jpg

Last edited:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Thanks to some good dudes on the forum, I was able to track down a set of black FJ Cruiser mirrors a few weeks ago. In a very strange turn of events, I actually found the motivation to mount them up. Had to modify the mirror brackets a bit, but I think they look great on the truck.

qapezu4y.jpg

yja6yhuq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz