1980 Toyota Hilux Longbed 4x4

D

Deleted member 9101

That's a good argument, the SBC being a cheap swap, but the weight...

If you're going that route, LS swap. Either 4.8 or 5.3 truck motor. $1300 to $1700 from Pacific Fab (Tilden Motorsports), 280-325 HP, tons and tons of aftermarket parts, smog legal. Lots of good reasons to swap in a Vortec LS.

But then the cutting is huge. If you want to have A/C, you'll have to make room.

I wouldn't worry at all about the weight. It can't be more than 200lbs more... some people on here have winch and bumper combos that weigh that...lol. With aluminum heads and intake, the weight drops down to where it will be negligible. If it's an issue, stiffer springs fix it with a quickness, or even just adding a leaf to the existing spring pack. If A/C is an issue, they make a ton of different mounting brackets for the compressor and even the alternator. With the amount of vehicles that the SBC has been shoe horned into over the years, someone makes a bracket for every conceivable application.

Countless people have done the swap and of the people that I have known over the years that did it... they loved it. I put one in an S-10 and a Corvair over the years. Definitely adds to the fun factor.

Really, a 350 with a "RV" cam is amazing in a little Yota. Not enough power to shred the axles if you behave... but more than enough to do every single thing that a rational person would want to do with one of these trucks.

The LS is another great choice (it's an amazing engine to tinker with) just cost more than the SBC in every regard. They have a damn near bullet proof bottom end and the heads flow pretty well from the factory for what they are. Toss on a 4bbl and new ignition (ditching the EFI), and it's ready to go. Slide in a higher duration/lift cam and they quickly become a monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

It's time to seriously start shopping for a new motor. This truck is my daily driver, and original 36yr old carbureted motor runs great after it's all warmed up, but takes several minutes to idle on its own when the outside temperature drops. I'm not interested in rebuilding it, and have been looking my options over for many months. I initially was dead set on a TDI diesel swap using Acme Adapters, but after several conversations with them, I've determined that swap is way over my head. I'm now looking at Toyota motor options anywhere from a Tundra V8, Toyota diesel, 22RE, etc. Anybody have some ideas on a relatively simple motor swap for somebody who has never done one before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about a 22re with a mild cam and head work? Bolts right in, more power, freakishly reliably, and can be easily done in a weekend. Build the motor ahead of time, then drop it in when you have the time.

D

Deleted member 9101

Not to push my own content, but if you want to see a comprehensive 3RZ swap, go and check out the build thread on my '83. I retained the cruise control, the A/C, upgraded to the modern Tacoma electronics, kept it emissions compliant, even used the Tacoma brakes (including master and booster). http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Hilux-3RZ-build-thread-Stoffregen-Motorsports

Buying a 3RZ motor will get you started, but if you want all the parts in one pile before you start the project, buy a complete donor truck. It will save you time and money in the long run.

You, good Sir, have built an amazing machine.

You, good Sir, have built an amazing machine.

Thanks! I tend to go a bit overboard on the details. Wait until it's all done!!!

As far as the SBC, I feel like the LS motor is far more relevant these days than a SBC. I totally agree with you about the carburetor (on a LS) and I have swapped the EFI for carbs on street machines equipped with LS motors, but in an old truck that is crying for modernization, EFI would be my choice.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks! I tend to go a bit overboard on the details. Wait until it's all done!!!

As far as the SBC, I feel like the LS motor is far more relevant these days than a SBC. I totally agree with you about the carburetor (on a LS) and I have swapped the EFI for carbs on street machines equipped with LS motors, but in an old truck that is crying for modernization, EFI would be my choice.

Nothing what so ever wrong with overbuilt... I am a practitioner of it myself...haha.

Call me old fashioned, but I am still a fan of the SBC. While dated in every regard... you can rebuild them for next to nothing and they are pretty stout. The nice thing about an LS is you can easily get a low mileage one that was running when you pulled it and drop it in the next weekend. I have never heard of one blowing or even wearing out unless it involved operator error or plain stupidity.

While I have never done an EFI swap with an LS, I have done TBI and it was pretty straightforward since I used a prebuilt harness made for the swap, essentially it was "plug and play." I have had buddies who took the motor, harness, and ECM from the junk vehicle and go that route, just takes a little more time and effort.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Finally got around to showing my daily driver some love in the form of 17" Toyota FJ steel wheels wrapped in the BFG M/Ts that came factory on my Rubicon. I'm trying out the Dynabeads for balancing this set up.

10abcb9075231ed4a55c57a418eb9038.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

littlevulture

Love the truck. I was wondering what you did to mod the brackets on the FJ mirrors? I'm getting ready to install a set on my 88 Xtra Cab but I haven't figured out a decent mounting method yet.

sologeek

Observer
I wouldn't worry at all about the weight. It can't be more than 200lbs more... some people on here have winch and bumper combos that weigh that...lol. With aluminum heads and intake, the weight drops down to where it will be negligible. If it's an issue, stiffer springs fix it with a quickness, or even just adding a leaf to the existing spring pack. If A/C is an issue, they make a ton of different mounting brackets for the compressor and even the alternator. With the amount of vehicles that the SBC has been shoe horned into over the years, someone makes a bracket for every conceivable application.

Countless people have done the swap and of the people that I have known over the years that did it... they loved it. I put one in an S-10 and a Corvair over the years. Definitely adds to the fun factor.

Really, a 350 with a "RV" cam is amazing in a little Yota. Not enough power to shred the axles if you behave... but more than enough to do every single thing that a rational person would want to do with one of these trucks.

The LS is another great choice (it's an amazing engine to tinker with) just cost more than the SBC in every regard. They have a damn near bullet proof bottom end and the heads flow pretty well from the factory for what they are. Toss on a 4bbl and new ignition (ditching the EFI), and it's ready to go. Slide in a higher duration/lift cam and they quickly become a monster.

I've been on the trail with many Yota's running a variation of the 350 SB and I've been impressed more than once. Once you add large tires and trail bumbers and sliders and winch with recovery gear you have a lot of extra weight. I would not be surprised if some of those 350's get as good or better millage than the original 4cyl or 6 cyl.

buck208

Observer
Hey OP,

Curious if the 1st GEN is still in the works. Looking for some inspiration for my 2nd GEN build. BTW nice looking rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94