Your Choice: 2012 Overland SUV of the Year?

2012 Overland SUV of the Year: Members Choice

• Chevrolet Tahoe

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Ford Expedition

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Votes: 63 30.0%
  • Land Rover LR4 (Discovery 4)

Votes: 26 12.4%
  • Land Rover Range Rover MKIII

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Lexus GX460

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Mercedes G-Wagon Gelandewagen

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Nissan Xterra

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Toyota Land Cruiser 200

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • Toyota Sequoia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

elee

Observer
I understand your point of view, it's just that after 4 years, I've learned to take advantage of the available space, including the overhead and by using RAINGLER nets-I carry tarps/blankets/rainclothes and coats, in the cargo area overhead--lotta room up there-

I can carry everything I need--except--

----GOLF BAGS---:snorkel:

I am going to have to pass this product on to my friend!
Have a Merry Christmas!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Golf club bags? Lol!
I thought we were talking about overlanding here?

I do think the Toyota would be a lot more reliable and durable though.

elee

Observer
Golf club bags? Lol!

Ok, 20 sticks of firewood, 3 rubbermaid boxes, camp stoves, tents, and water and food. Do not fit into a JKUR. I was using golf clubs, because the JKUR's cargo area doesn't even allow a bag to lay horizontal.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Oh Oh-

Golf club bags? Lol!

Ok, 20 sticks of firewood, 3 rubbermaid boxes, camp stoves, tents, and water and food. Do not fit into a JKUR. I was using golf clubs, because the JKUR's cargo area doesn't even allow a bag to lay horizontal.

045.jpg

There's still room for a couple of GOLF BAGS--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Scott Brady

Founder
A few interesting revelations with the poll. Not surprised by the 4Runner and JKU popularity, but I am surprised by the response to the 200 TLC. The Tahoe votes are also revealing. Having driven one for a few hundred miles recently, I can see the attraction.

Thanks for the votes.

dylanblada

Observer
Scott,

The only reservation I would have against my vote (Xterra) is the leaf spring rear suspension (similar, if not identical to the Frontier). Most of its competitors on the list have some type of coil spring rear suspension. From what I know: leaf springs are more durable and easier/less expensive to repair or modify. This comes at the cost of ride quality and suspension travel. It seems both can be made to handle heavy payloads.

Any thoughts on the coils vs leafs debate in relation to our uses? This would also be pertinent to most pickups.

Scott Brady

Founder
A coil will generally perform better and ride better with a constant (known) load. A leaf suspension will generally manage a wide variation in load better and prove more reliable with a heavy load. These are of course generalizations.

A coil suspension can work quite well for our needs as travelers, as our loads might only vary 10-20% of GVWR. This allows for the spring rate and length to be fine-tuned for the known load and still provide good ride quality and optimal suspension articulation and geometry.

Personally, I am a fan of the coil-front, leaf-rear configuration, as it can provide a great deal of load flexibility (our J8 has this, as does the VDJ78s we are driving RTW), while also removing the complexity of the rear 5-link (or similar). Everything is a compromise. . .

If you have a known load with only a small variation in weight, the coil/coil will usually provide the best overall ride and performance. You will also note that many manufactures address the load variation problem with air springs. They are typically the best solution for ride/drive and performance when they are working ;)

GHR

Observer
Appreciate the opportunity to discuss. As noted earlier I expect the LC results simply reflect the cost of the vehicle, and although that wasn't one of the criteria most would apply it regardless. Plus the departure and breakover angles are not great.

Looking forward to the announcement from the Exped. team soon as to their choice and runner up.

Last edited:

B 1000

Nothing special
As awesome as this poll is, I think it all depends on the situation. I voted for the JKUR because of its capabilities right out of the box, and reasonable price for what you get. I WILL agree that the room is sort of an issue, but here is where you have to look at the user's intentions:

I travel alone, or with one other person at most. The JKUR is more than adequate to carry days or weeks worth of gear in that situation. If I were to go adventuring with 4 or more people, I would get a suburban or a small camper. I don't think a 4Runner, LR, Tahoe, or any other on this list (especially the FJ) would be enough for 4 people and a weeks worth of gear.

Second reason for JKUR - Aftermarket support. The JK platform has tons of cargo rack options, bumper options, tire carrier options, half doors/full doors/soft doors/tube doors/ soft tops, hard tops, axle reinforcement kits, suspension kits, armor kits, etc.

tacr2man

Adventurer
The majority of the vehicles are "overland" in US only you will rarely see them elsewhere in the world , its down to Toyota , Land rover , and the odd G wagon in reality JMHO

mike r

Adventurer
I voted G wagon for the same reason, If it was world i would go with defender which is still available almost everywhere else

nasko

Adventurer
The majority of the vehicles are "overland" in US only you will rarely see them elsewhere in the world , its down to Toyota , Land rover , and the odd G wagon in reality JMHO

except the couple that went from Alaska to Argentina and are now travelling through Africa with their Patrol, or the number of people in their Mitsubishi's :)

tacr2man

Adventurer
except the couple that went from Alaska to Argentina and are now travelling through Africa with their Patrol, or the number of people in their Mitsubishi's :)

yes you do see a few patrols and a few mitsi , even the Odd Rolls Royce capetown to london ! but you will see far more of the others and even Unimogs than you will american iron , which is a bit of a pity as there are some real interesting base units .

might be down to being spoilt for choice of destinations before you even leave continental North america JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles