Cargo Boxes - Why you do. Why you don't

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have always wondered why the cargo box has not been more popular in the overland channel. I understand that many people like the heavy duty and robust aesthetic of a tubular metal rack, and understand how that facilitates lashing down pelican boxes and fuel cans, but what about people who just need to carry a few lighter items. Sleeping bags, sleeping pads, tents, these things seem like obvious roof top candidates given their low weight.

So what say you? Any of you use a cargo box?

rovercargo_zpsa19c2c40.jpg

digitaldelay

Explorer
I am still trying to decide if a cargo box is the way to go. As I mentioned in your Patriot thread, my most immediate need is to carry skis. Even then, it would only be for when I have 4 people skiing.

After you had mentioned the Yakima Skybox Lowpro, I went to measure my garage door. From my measurements, the roof box + cross bars would prevent me from parking the Grand Vitara in the garage. The only exception might be a box from Inno called the Lowdown. Even that one might be a tight squeeze. I blame the Suzuki/Mont Blanc cross bars. They are wide, flat and very utilitarian-looking but are also very high-profile.

So, for now I think I will try and make do with no cargo box. If I go on some longer trips with 4 people (winter or summer) and find that I'm running out of space I may look again at a cargo box.

Jason

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have to say, I love my cargo box.

- Easy as pie to load.
- Everything is protected from the elements.
- My cargo is hidden from they eyes of would-be thieves and secured with locks.
- It punches through the air better than a heap of junk strapped to my roof via a mess of straps.

Lastly, I can load up my camping gear in there and just leave it, ready to hit the road at a moment's notice.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I am still trying to decide if a cargo box is the way to go. As I mentioned in your Patriot thread, my most immediate need is to carry skis. Even then, it would only be for when I have 4 people skiing.

After you had mentioned the Yakima Skybox Lowpro, I went to measure my garage door. From my measurements, the roof box + cross bars would prevent me from parking the Grand Vitara in the garage. The only exception might be a box from Inno called the Lowdown. Even that one might be a tight squeeze. I blame the Suzuki/Mont Blanc cross bars. They are wide, flat and very utilitarian-looking but are also very high-profile.

So, for now I think I will try and make do with no cargo box. If I go on some longer trips with 4 people (winter or summer) and find that I'm running out of space I may look again at a cargo box.

Jason

You may need to do more math to make sure it won't fit. My friend has a huge CJ and when it was in the garage it was a few inches taller than the opening. However, because of the angle of the driveway one axle is lower when pulling in. Think break over angles, essentially making the Jeep shorter, he drove it right in. So depending on the driveway, the Vitara and the box, you may make it.

As for the box, I use one and it is a tall model from Sears. It is a giant sail which is why I don't like it, but I stuff our sleeping bags and light stuff up there.

psykokid

Explorer
done both, depends on where we're going and for how long.

shakedown before a trip to make sure everything fit.
IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

Last edited:

Mtn Mike

Observer
The main reason I don't have a box is the height of my garage. I got a Yakima luggage bag instead, thinking it would be easier to take off when needed. The bag turned out to be harder to work with than a box would be. So I'm now thinking about trading my bag for a box.

317064_10150338860799855_379206803_n.jpg

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I have to say, I love my cargo box.

- Easy as pie to load.
- Everything is protected from the elements.
- My cargo is hidden from they eyes of would-be thieves and secured with locks.
- It punches through the air better than a heap of junk strapped to my roof via a mess of straps.

Lastly, I can load up my camping gear in there and just leave it, ready to hit the road at a moment's notice.

Yes, Yes, and yes.
IMG_7724gettingstuckonMengal.jpg

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I ran a Packasport brand carrier on my Durango. It worked great when skiing as it got the wet items out of the truck. I was amazed at how much you could pack in one when we did road trips. All the camping gear for 4 (tent, sleeping bags, chairs, cots, stove and clothes...). It was not until I took it with me on an extended hunt that I found out it was not the best option for offroading trips. I caught a branch which cracked the fiberglass and bent one of the hinges to the point it would not open with the struts. the packasport is now relegated to on road trips and skiing/snowboarding trips. Went to a yakima basket on the Durango which survived a lot of hits.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yup, we have a thule box. very useful, lightweight and tough.

It SWALLOWS light, bulky things like sleeping bags, and such.

In fact, a fullsize ez-up will fit in there with about 60% of the room inside left for other stuff.

For those of us who utilitize the back seat of our SUV's with passengers, and don't want to drive a huge vehicle, they are indispensible.

lam396

Adventurer
GC%2525202011%252520633.jpg

Not the best picture but I love the cargo box. Filled it up with light stuff and it was easy access to clothes and sleeping bags. I actually don't think it would have been possible without it.

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer

Honestly, it probably has to do with the aesthetics...the cargo boxes just don't have "the look". A cargo box on an SUV has the "look" of a family on a ski weekend. Lots of us here are trying to cultivate the pretense of a hardcore international traveler/ Camel Trophy participant. The costumes we wear and the gear we lug around is painstakingly selected not just for functionality but to perpetuate the pretense.

If we were to be honest with ourselves, the majority of our travels could probably be successfully accomplished in a crossover SUV. Trail riding with intent to challenge our vehicle and/or driving skills isn't really adventure travel, more aptly categorized as adventure driving. When we spend a night in camp we can then justify our ExPo lifestyles as well as justifying our lifestyle expenditures for gear and costumes.

grimbo

Explorer
We have one that we use occasionally but not when heading offroad. Used it again just week and realized how useful it is and will be using it from now on for offroad camping trips for sleeping bags etc

Mtn Mike

Observer

Honestly, it probably has to do with the aesthetics...the cargo boxes just don't have "the look". A cargo box on an SUV has the "look" of a family on a ski weekend. Lots of us here are trying to cultivate the pretense of a hardcore international traveler/ Camel Trophy participant. The costumes we wear and the gear we lug around is painstakingly selected not just for functionality but to perpetuate the pretense.

If we were to be honest with ourselves, the majority of our travels could probably be successfully accomplished in a crossover SUV. Trail riding with intent to challenge our vehicle and/or driving skills isn't really adventure travel, more aptly categorized as adventure driving. When we spend a night in camp we can then justify our ExPo lifestyles as well as justifying our lifestyle expenditures for gear and costumes.

Kinda what I was thinking too but didn't want to say it. Oh well, you could say the same thing about any hobby/lifestyle to a certain extent. :smiley_drive:

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I have always wondered why the cargo box has not been more popular in the overland channel. I understand that many people like the heavy duty and robust aesthetic of a tubular metal rack, and understand how that facilitates lashing down pelican boxes and fuel cans, but what about people who just need to carry a few lighter items. Sleeping bags, sleeping pads, tents, these things seem like obvious roof top candidates given their low weight.

So what say you? Any of you use a cargo box?

View attachment 138762

I like the cargo box and I very much want one to put above my truck shell. I'd use mine for the light bulky stuff for exactly the same reasons you do. I love the aerodynamic shape, it's smart. They're pricey though. I've been looking on Craigslist for a used one, hopefully I'll get lucky soon.

Your post, if sarcasm was intended, is very funny! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles