SOLD______NorthStar TC650 & Chevy 1500HD plus Mod's

ClayH

Adventurer
This thread really has me in the mood to get a Northstar or similar pop up bed camper. I'm in the process of selling the 30' 5er and I can use my F-350 for a real nice slide in camper and pull a trailer with 4 wheeler's on it. I would love to find one like this in the $5k range.

brian90744

American Trekker
I saw the sink drain mod on "Zidaro" thread on Tundra/Northstar on this Forum. When my house needs under sink plumbing I will P-Traps update, I'm going the same way. Hepvo sink drain is new and approved to the American market.
thanks for your interest=brian

Great job on the sink drain.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
You're going to really like the AC if you do any summer camping. I added a roof air to my SunLite. It makes desert camping in the summer tolerable. The roof air scares the crap out of me, expect to find it laying in the floor after every trip down a dirt road. I wish I had done the window air like you did instead, live and learn!

brian90744

American Trekker
Old friends

Bob.
wife and I looked at your rig on the last SD island meeting, I will try to be on your DV run, and may see you at the SoCal Desert Rendezvous if your going. Yes I know we will like the A/C this summer. brian

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
I went into yahoo=Ad Hunt'r - Search ALL of Craigslist™ and more!
Craigslist Search and More. Search nation for all of Craigslist, Backpage, Kijiji, eBay Classifieds, Gumtree, and Oodle
www.adhuntr.com - Cached "enter pop-up truck camper"
Clay.
this is a nat'l craigs list, and I found lots of pop up truck campers by brand. Just FYI=brian

I dont know what this is but I googled it and came up with nothing.

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Air Bag Suspension Mod

Normally the Air Bag is one piece & attaches to the frame and springs as a unit, However when off roading sometime the rear wheel travel can be restricted by the lengh of the inflated airbag, today I installed Daystar Air Bag Cradle which cycles Up & down on the spring, by not being attached to the airbag. This allows maximum wheel droop when O/R wheeling. It may save Air Bag from rip damage.

Attachments

• cradle 1.jpg
    cradle 1.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 32
  • cradle2.jpg
    cradle2.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 37
  • spring droop.jpg
    spring droop.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Time to retire.

Time to retire, My B F Goodrich tires are worn, so I brought 4 315/70R/17 Cooper Discovery AT3 tires. I had outside cupping on my BFG's,so I switched these tires on the rims and had a wheel alignment. Just hope these Cooper new tires work out.
brian

Attachments

• at2.jpg
    at2.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 27
  • at3.jpg
    at3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 25
  • BFG worn.jpg
    BFG worn.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Joeprunc

Observer
Just curious why you went with Cooper over the BFGs. And are those Coopers D or E rated for loads? I must say the AT3s look a lot beefier in your pictures, I was dead set on getting Goodyear Duratracs, but may look at the Cooper line too. As far as cupping, I'd recommend rotating them every oil change. How far off was your alignment? Also with larger tires how do you tie rods look, I would have hoped that the alignment shop would have pointed out some play if there was any.
Just read through your post, I can't believe the price you got for that top! I guess I'm going to hold out till something better comes along. My wife and I both really like the TC650, but there is a used TC800 local here (which is older and selling for more than yours).

brian90744

American Trekker
Joe.
My BFG's were 10 years old, plus I only got 39K miles on the truck. Price was the big factor, quiet ride and easy rolling resistance plus the Coopers A/T 3 were $200 each, LT315-70/R17 M&S with load rate D,(3150# @50PSI) same as my BFG's. 4 tires can carry 12600 lbs, also I know Cooper tire company made the acquisition of many other US tire companies plus Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels in 2003. The TC650 is the best fit for my 6.5ft bed and still leaves the Tow hitch open. My fault for not rotating the tires, since I installed H2wheels/tires and had the 6" lift done by 4 Wheel Parts Co.

BTW I looked at a TC800 =2 models one with a mini toilet room and small dining area, the other large dining ( bigger sleeping room). Weigh no problem with mine or your truck. I dont need a inside shower room(steam/condensation) when we go camping for a week, we go to an hotel every 3rd or 4th day. Sometimes a navy wash is OK.
Look up NADA RV blue book on camper=northstars, this gives you an idea of price to shoot for.

Welcome to ExPo.
thanks=brian

Just curious why you went with Cooper over the BFGs. And are those Coopers D or E rated for loads? I must say the AT3s look a lot beefier in your pictures, I was dead set on getting Goodyear Duratracs, but may look at the Cooper line too. As far as cupping, I'd recommend rotating them every oil change. How far off was your alignment? Also with larger tires how do you tie rods look, I would have hoped that the alignment shop would have pointed out some play if there was any.
Just read through your post, I can't believe the price you got for that top! I guess I'm going to hold out till something better comes along. My wife and I both really like the TC650, but there is a used TC800 local here (which is older and selling for more than yours).

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Cooper AT3 tires

I mounted rear only, waiting a few more miles to wear out BFG's (frt)
brian

Attachments

• cooper2.jpg
    cooper2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 27
  • cooper1.jpg
    cooper1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
On my Chevy it was my abuse by not having a wheel alignment often, However on my Ford Ranger with 31"x15" I cannot balance the BFG's because of flat spots, I cannot recommend BFG's. But they sell lots of BFG's to off-roaders.
brian

I had bfg's before. got 20,000 miles out of them. Bad batch maybe but I'll never buy em again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior