SOLD______NorthStar TC650 & Chevy 1500HD plus Mod's

brian90744

American Trekker
I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 HD Crew Cab, 4x4, QuadraSteer (4 wheel steering) 6 Lt Engine. A/T, with 4.11 gearing. HydroBoost Brakes, 6” Lift by ProComp, 17” Hummer 8 Lug wheels, Firestone Airbags. Dual Engine Batteries. Buckstop front bumper with Warn winch. 6.5ft bed. The Q/S Chevy Bed is 7ft wide, and the NorthStar Camper is also 7ft wide, It should handle the weight easily in the power to weight with GVWR 8600 lbs. Also with oversized tires. Truck was purchased new in 2003.

2007 Northstar- TC650. Purchased from a Local guy (friend) who was not using it. . It appears to be in great shape; he only used 3 gallons of LP since new,
Camper weighs 1660lbs. Extended cabover, Queen North/South bed, 3.8cu/ft fridge, water heater, outside shower, 3 burner stove, Prewired for A/C, Deep cycle 12V battery, 14 gal grey waste tank, 30gal freshwater tank, Porta potti, Fantastic fan, Converter/battery charger., plus Coleman tent trailer boat roof racks. First I installed a 1200 watt Inverter to watch TV/DVD at night
I guess I’m set for camping.

To load the camper I installed Happijac camper tie down system on the truck. I temp modified camper Happijac front jacks brackets because of the 7 foot wide Chevy bed, by adding 2” U channel steel to both the jacks brkts to clear my truck bed, so the front jacks are now 7ft 4” wide mounted on the camper for loading. After loading the camper on the truck I removed the jacks and tailgate & stored them=less weight. and I'm leaving the camper on full time. If I need to pick up something I'll use a trailer!.
[
I will using a 21” LCD TV with built in DVD to run off the inverter. I also installed a 12V outlet 10 G wire outside under the L/side to run my refrig/freezer.(see pic) I already have a Honda 2000 Generator. Installed LED bulbs to the factory 3 pouch lights and over the bed.
Electrically- I tapped into my 7pin trailer wiring so I can still plug in a trailer if necessary.

FYI: Quadrasteer™ by GMC is a 4-wheel steering system that dramatically enhances low speed maneuverability, high speed stability, and towing capability. The system is an electrically powered rear wheel steering system. Dash switch for 2 wheel steer, 4 wheel steer or 4 wheel trailer steer. Plus the system is bullet proof so far, after 12 years. Great for quick U turns

Attachments

• NS3pic.jpg
    NS3pic.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 254
  • NS6pic.jpg
    NS6pic.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 235
  • northstar 1.jpg
    northstar 1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Changing NorthStar

Kitchen storage space in this unit is at a minimum, in the galley/kitchen there is 2 drawers 14" deep (however there enough room for 20" drawers) It would be nice if Northstar offered 19" long drawers, Plus 2 Cabinets, the one has the sink P Trap plumbing hanging down that makes it hard even to store a box of cereal for breakfast. (see pic) And the 2 lower storage bins are big enough for 20 Can goods. (see pic) I found dead space behind and below heater for my wine storage.(see pic)

Time to modify the inside cabinet storage area.
First added a shelf so I can have Pots and kettle on the lower and frying pans on the shelf.(see pic)

Attachments

• 12 Undersink storage copy.jpg
    12 Undersink storage copy.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 151
  • 9 Mod shelf.jpg
    9 Mod shelf.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,944
  • 6 New storage area=wine.jpg
    6 New storage area=wine.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 11 Shelf in storage cabinet.jpg
    11 Shelf in storage cabinet.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
More changes to NorthStar

To maximize kitchen cabinet storage room, I removed the P Trap and other plumbing (see pic)and installed a Hepvo sink drain valve directly to the sink and reinstalled new drain plumbing and used the orginal vent outlet, this gives me maximum cabinet space. (see B4 & After pic)
Note: The Hepvo Valve is a one way door, to keep the grey tank odor from leaking into the camper. Most camper/trailer "P"traps, the water in the trap evaporates while in storage and you get the bad smell from the grey tank inside your unit.

Attachments

• sink mod4.jpg
    sink mod4.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 127
  • hepvo 1.jpg
    hepvo 1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 129
  • max sink room 1.jpg
    max sink room 1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 12 Undersink storage copy.jpg
    12 Undersink storage copy.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 112
  • Loaded cabinet.jpg
    Loaded cabinet.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 100
  • hepvo1.jpg
    hepvo1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
NorthStar changes requested by wife

Wife wanted a paper towel holder, so I made a 24x15 1/2" paneled plywood board & added a storage rack & paper towel holder board to hang over the sink. (see pic) The storage rack I used is from HD home depot. I will add a mirror later. Or you could use a storage box/mirror part# TWSPJCSS from etrailer.com, you can see this box on utube.
Note: Also the Can storage shelf is lower so Cans don't fall-out when door is opened.

Found the LP box was not insulated inside camper, so I added Styrofoam all the way around.

Attachments

• 13 over sink.jpg
    13 over sink.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 11modified shelf.jpg
    11modified shelf.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Still more northStar updates

Installed a rear window LG 6000 BTU Air conditioner, Model- LW6012ER with remote using the NorthStar [self modified] factory mounting kit. (see pic) Also had to increase window size hole by 1/2". I recommend staying with factory 5K size unit. easier to install with no modifications. Can't wait for summer to check it out. BTW Great customer service from NorthStar factory, also fast shipping. They gave me info & drawings on installation of the A/C. Highly recommend NorthStar Customer Service.

Installed 12V LED mini light strip (6" long) under the kitchen floor cabinet which I turn on at bed time, so we can see the floor if we have to get up in the middle of the night.

Added high power LED back-up light on the left, and matching pouch light (Cargo light)on the right to the back of the unit, pouch light has its own switch by the door. (see pic) Great at night. Also tapped on to 110 Volt A/C receptacle box to add 110V outlet near door. Nice location if you run 110V electric heater.

Attachments

• back-up lights.jpg
    back-up lights.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 127
  • pouch lite swt.jpg
    pouch lite swt.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 116
  • AC 2.jpg
    AC 2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Few more changes to Northstar

Changed out the Heater Temp control unit to digit unit,(see pic) it's a lot easier to use.
Added TV cable outlet, used the refrig vent to snake wire to outside, just in case we get to park in an RV lot with cable TV to the site.

Attachments

• temp control.jpg
    temp control.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 99
  • TV outlet.jpg
    TV outlet.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

coulter6

Observer
Great work. You've made some neat mods. I'm going to steal some for my TC650 :wings:

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
On my TC800 there is a raised hollow area where the table posts go into. Can you not use this space,that is if it has one? We lift that up and store all kinds of stuff under. Also you must have a strutted liftup mattress under which lots of hiking poles,pillows,jackets etc go.

brian90744

American Trekker
Yes I have all that, however it is not really kitchen space but storage room, Mine is on 6 Ft bed, yours is 8ft,maybe you have a bigger kitchen storage area, I need a little more room to prepare a meal. thanks for your input.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Nice brian. Glad to see the build. Rig looks awesome. Your gonna love the Hepvo.

If your into the solar, off the grid gig, I added a DC 26" LCD HD Jensen TV/Monitor to my trailer that has been working great. They have smaller units too. Separate DVD player. Keeps you from using your inverter.

(and THANKS for the window)

aaron

brian90744

American Trekker
Some ideas northstar

Here's a few ideas. When storing items in the outside wheel wells I tie a rope to the item so I can pull it out if it slips in front of the wheel well. see pic. Also I added a garden hose cap to the gray tank water drain, makes it easier to drain with a short hose into a container without using the 3" dump hose which I have removed 4 home storage. To compact the 3" dump hose I cut a 1x2" wood and drilled a hole in both ends & rope tie it up, leaving enough rope to remove from wheel well compartment.

Attachments

• Side storage 1.jpg
    Side storage 1.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Drain hose 2.jpg
    Drain hose 2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Drain hose 1.jpg
    Drain hose 1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Kitchen cabinet floor idea.

Some of you want to know how I made the floor in the dead space under the heater, I removed all the lower Can good storage shelf and cut a piece of paneling to size, from under the heater/wine storage to the end of the Can storage. Cut & screw 1x1" to side wall under the can cabinet, glue with clamps the Can floor. Notice the cans will sit lower in the cabinet. You can also see the mini 6" LED strip night light under the shelf. see pics

Attachments

• Can storage floor 1.jpg
    Can storage floor 1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 9 Mod shelf.jpg
    9 Mod shelf.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,466
  • cabinet floor 1.jpg
    cabinet floor 1.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Pop-up boat rack

These pics are my boat rack made for Coleman tent trailers, They were installed by American Camper (NorthStar dealer) in Stanton, Calif and attached (Bolted) and sealed thru the roof sides. They have been on the NorthStar since 2007. NO leaks. Just FYI.

Attachments

• boat rack2.jpg
    boat rack2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Bot rack 1.jpg
    Bot rack 1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member