GPS App recommendation please

Gotlime?

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I have the iPad mount from Carolina Metal Masters: http://www.carolinametalmasters.com/...ts/jk-grab-bar

I have a 1st gen wifi iPad

and the Bad Elf GPS Receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-1000-3...ywords=bad+elf

So I can get an accurate GPS fix even when not connected to wifi, but I can't use mapping programs that are web based. I need an app where I can download the maps ahead of time. Maps that are more "offroad" oriented are even better. Meaning having FS roads, topo, etc.

I'd like to be able to see where I'm at, add custom points of interest (obstacles, trailheads, etc), and save/share my tracks, if possible.

I live in NC and wheel primarily in the southeast US.

Any ideas?

brushogger

Explorer
Topo Maps is great! After purchasing the app, map downloads are free. You can get high or low res maps. It accepts kml and gpx files. I use it all the time with my iPhone. I bet it's really cool with an iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G_fresh

Adventurer
I use MotionX GPS. I like it a lot. Slow map downloading is my only issue with it...

[EDIT - Can't recommend it anymore since downloading of Google and Bing maps were axed.]

Last edited:

JRhetts

Adventurer
Try ScenicMapsEast; this is self-contained and offers a tremendous amount of information. Many times I find these their open-source produced maps are much more useful than topos even for way-off road nav.

Surfy

Adventurer
For Offroad:

MotionX is really great. You can download Bing Hybrid Maps (Satellite view and streets). It need much time for downloading in high resolution, but - you just to do it once. My Ipad runs 6 weeks 24hours a day for downloading the complete african west coast (Marocco till south africa) with zoomlevel 14 (Satview) - and Openstreetmaps.

MotionXdl.PNG

OnRoad:

Navigon or TomTom

caljon88

Observer
Get the Garmin USA app, it puts all the data on your phone/iPad so you don't need data access. I've been using it for some time now and I rally like it. $35 is expensive for an app but well worth the price! Double check that it works on the iPad.

caljon88

Observer
If you give me a specific road or area I can post a screen shot of it so you could see if its what you're lookin for.

Gotlime?

If you give me a specific road or area I can post a screen shot of it so you could see if its what you're lookin for.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to spend some time checking all these out this weekend.

We frequently go to the Uwharrie National Forest in NC. Troy or Denton are probably the closest cities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior