Sankey Tent Trailer

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The hitch on the trailer is part of the mechanical surge brake system. Sankeys very cool little trailers and make an M416 feel like a toy.

Arlo

Adventurer
Well, Sankeys are very short vehicles, so there was not room enough to attach a spare wheel.
But the bonnet of a Land Rover is the right place to carry it!
And more!

13117539bb.jpg

Dimensions of the narrow track Sankey trailer including the Howlingmoon tent:

length over all: 2930mm (approx. 9' 7")

breadth: 1450mm (approx. 4' 9")

height of body: 1550mm (approx. 5' 1")
height to top of tent: (approx. 6')

tyres: 7.50R16

unladen weight: 650kg (probably about 1200lbs?)
laden: 1160kg (probably about 2250lbs?)

History

Date of first in service: July, 1st, 1972 (British Armee)

Date of reincarnation: October, 6th, 2004

He's a very good fellow!
I like him very much.

But in 2007 he got a brother!

This one growed up to a challenge.

Kurt

Arlo

Adventurer
Forgot to mention:

The short distance between the towing vehicle and the Sankey makes you sure whenever the LR is able to drive through narrow terrain, the Sankey will follow in the same track! Now worries about that!

Reversing is an other smart thing! Ouuups! :wings:
This is very tricky! :Wow1:

On the other hand I remember when driving Sal's Chevy towing the Bayliner behind, he told me: "this trailer needs wide turns!"
Well, the first gas station was mine. And I hit it!
I was doing a wide turn but not wide enough!
He said: "I told you, to make wide turns!"

Mightbe there's a small difference between wide and huge depending on turns or between Europe and the USA? :oops:

This can't happen with a Sankey! Just tow him through! :smiley_drive:

Kurt

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
There is no piston in the system. It's simply a shaft that is loaded via spring pressure(contained in the canister toward the back of the hitch assy). As the vehicle comes to a stop, the trailer pushes against the spring which causes the shaft to actuate a linkage to engage the brakes. Some later trailers had hydraulic brakes but not the narrow track as is being used here.

Nightfire

The Sankey is designed to tow behind a SWB Land Rover. The MK3 Widetrack for example is designed to follow the 93" wheelbase Defender. In theory it can be extended for the 110 and still follow through turns but be easier to reverse.

Arlo

Adventurer
The Sankey is designed to tow behind a SWB Land Rover. The MK3 Widetrack for example is designed to follow the 93" wheelbase Defender. In theory it can be extended for the 110 and still follow through turns but be easier to reverse.

Here's a guy who didn't know that, just did it! :victory:

Well, the thread is a little bit longer (all in all 50 pages) but it's pure fun and stuffed with british humor! :elkgrin:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic47201.html

Pix from the extended frame are on the first page. Just use the wheel please.

Sections from the later overrun units (Bradley and Sacol)

The Bradley works by a gas loaded spring (#7), Sacol uses a hydraulic damper (very small bore inside the piston, #14)

Kurt

Nightfire

I know that Ray (RLD) can extend them! I think every Sankey on Defender2 or Disco3 forum has had his magic touch! He's on this forum as well.

I like the look of those that retain the full length A frame and extend main chassis and move back the springs. Purely for looks as i'm sure the way Ray does it is much more efficient.

Arlo

Adventurer
Ray's solution to extend the frame is way pretty cool! :wings:

No chance to become legal in Germany! :bigbossHL:

Nevertheless it's cool-o-mat!

I like it! :costumed-smiley-007

Sometimes it's a chance to live on an island.

Nightfire

No doubt TuV will be Europe wide at some point in the future! For now I'm happy on our little island being able to make modifications of build my own trailer!

biskit

Adventurer
RLD, Wiggs and about 20 other D3+ forum members on a hog roast/BBQ weekend in the Peak district.:Wow1:
camping%20in%20snow.jpg

Arlo

Adventurer
Looks great.
But a little bit cold too. :peepwall:

We are doing the same every February in Peckfitz.

13186360ej.jpg

13186361wi.jpg

13186362ru.jpg

13186365mg.jpg

13186366io.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior