Mitsu Fuso Camper examples

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
agreed, just more of a hassle for them to enter & exit...
I have learned this with my Sportsmobile Ford Van, getting everyone out the front doors is a pain, opening the side doors is a pain.
Thus the reason why I liked the thought of a 4dr.....but I agree with proper design a 2dr can work.

haven

Expedition Leader
Forum member Westyss has built a custom camper using a Fuso FG chassis.
The build thread, which has lots of detailed information and photos, is here
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48351
Beautiful work!

westyss-fg-2.jpg

westyss-fg-1.jpg

PKDreamers

Adventurer
An older model work truck we converted to a motorhome earlier this year.
Windows and doors were already fitted to the work body. Lots of work underneath that you can't see.

Hey John how long and wide is the tray in that truck.??
Nice looking truck.
What work did you guys end up doing to it?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Pete.

Hey John how long and wide is the tray in that truck.??

Not sure exactly . Next time it's back I'll run a tape over it. I think it'll be back for a winch and a few more bits soon.

Nice looking truck.

I don't know about that but it is very functional.

What work did you guys end up doing to it?

Too much to list. It was just a basic crew cab with a box on the back when we first saw it. Windows and doors in place. Solar panels screwed on the roof and the roofrack and that was about it. >> So our wheels and long span suspension with incab ride control, big air compressor system, water and fuel tanks, barwork , ladders, fitted all the interior > as in> had a cabinet maker build the cabinets and we fitted them and formed up all the shower and corner panels in alloy, checker plate all the bins, full electrical system 240AC and DC, inverter, on board charger,TV/ audio, 2 fridges, mini front loading washing machine, macerator toilet, rear bins , dual pneumatic spare wheel lifters , tow hitch, bull bar, suspension seat, overhead console, UHF, all exterior and interior LED lighting , spotlights, vinyl flooring, roof hatch, etc, etc, breathe, etc, etc.

I'll post some more pics soon if you like.

Last edited:

BaseCamp

Observer
agreed, just more of a hassle for them to enter & exit...
I have learned this with my Sportsmobile Ford Van, getting everyone out the front doors is a pain, opening the side doors is a pain.
Thus the reason why I liked the thought of a 4dr.....but I agree with proper design a 2dr can work.

I think I'd like having the 2 door and just throwing the kids in the back, a back-up camera installed in the back with a baby monitor, you'd be set, all you need to do is forget about em and drive. Then again I don't have kids, but I imagine if I did they would be the kind you would want in the back away from you on a long drive("dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad.... are we there yet?" every other 5 minutes).

unkamonkey

Explorer
Hardy Hornberg built this camper from aluminum sheet
fuso-102.jpg

While not a camper, this vehicle could be outfitted as one
fuso-100.jpg

This short wheelbase FG carries a 12 foot Alaskan Camper
fuso-103.jpg

I have forgotten who owns this camper! Can anyone help?
fuso-104.jpg

Hello, newbe here.

The last FG is now mine, has been since 1998. It's hard to tell from the pic if I owned then or not.

The PO lived in Evergreen CO, he is the one that had it built at Hallmark in Brighton CO.

I bought it with 18,800 miles on it. It's up to 63,000 now.

It's been to Alabama for the Trail of Tears Ride in 2004, several trips to Lake Powell and Moab. The Moab trips involved the Yamaha or towing the CJ3b

It's also been to AZ and NM a few times over the years.

I've lived in it for around 7 months total, on a couple job sites, sat TV helps.

The only repair on the chassis has been a cracked exhaust manifold. I added an extra spring leaf a couple years back on all 4 corners.

Fuel consumption runs 10 to 14 mpg depending on conditions and speed.

:ylsmoke:

westyss

Explorer
welcome to the forum unkamonkey,

nice to see another FG on this site, do you have any current pictures of your set up? Do you have any advice to new owners about anything FG related? Any interior pics? Yes I know we are a demanding bunch,, but we like pictures. What kind of travel do you use it for? and lastly from me.....

The only repair on the chassis has been a cracked exhaust manifold. I added an extra spring leaf a couple years back on all 4 corners.

Fuel consumption runs 10 to 14 mpg depending on conditions and speed.
I was shocked by this comment, adding extra leafs?? Why did you do that? Is your rig heavy? I am thinking of getting rid of some leafs to soften the ride, so I was just wondering why?? My only guess is a heavy rig and leafs got tired. Thanks for posting.
Yves

unkamonkey

Explorer
Hello and thanks for the welcomes.

The company that built this used lots of solid particle board in the cabinets and placed a bit too much weight ( fresh water, water heater, reefer, propane tank) at the front. Holding tanks and genset are in the rear.

As far as tilting the cab, the camper portion is only attached to the frame at the rear via big hinges so you have to jack up the front portion to get enough clearence to tilt the cab. Only had to do this once so far.

I'll try to get pics up soon.

lehel1

Adventurer
trying again

pics

opps, we meant to get these under the next tread "in action" these were taken at the overland rally in holister in oct. a fantastic event

we're very happy with our fuso, we have clocked just over 45k miles this last 2 years now and the platform in our humble opinion makes for a great expedition platform as well as a good flatbed work truck (as we use it for when not traveling).

cheers lehel and laura

there are more great photos of the whole event in the "completed adventures and events tread" near the top of the home page under " big thank you holister overland rally team"

Attachments

• Overland 2010  Boat 384.jpg
    Overland 2010 Boat 384.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

lehel1

Adventurer
ok then

more pics i hope

Attachments

• Overland 2010 10.jpg
    Overland 2010 10.jpg