12 Days in Baja part 2

Halboo

Observer
We bought some beautiful scallops from Vicente and I had a great chat with him; he even showed us a scar from a mako bite he'd gotten years before.
Again no fish so we decide to finally head over to Asuncion.
We had originally planned on going there for the first part of the trip but SWIMPAL wanted to get a little more experience on her new kayak before she tackled the Pacific.
We got to Juan and Shari's http://www.bajabnb.com and were greeted with open arms and looks of relief, seems Shari had not gotten the message we'd left for her days before.
minibnbwaves.jpg

Their little place is terrific and they are spectacular hosts and very special people. They are both wonderful cooks and we ate all kinds of yummy seafood's including the amazing Caracol.
We were having such a good time just eating and gabbing, the yaks never even touched the water but on Saturday Juan and I went fishing and I had the best day fishing I've had in years.
The Cooperative in this area is an example for the rest of Baja and does a tremendous job protecting the abundant local resources
I'm not saying just where we went but the water was gin clear and when I made my first cast with a big 4oz Kroc that had been bouncing around in my tackle bag for years, I was instantly on.
Juan said he could see the very big yellow down on the bottom but I was too busy to look. 15 minutes of the toughest fish I've ever fought but I lost the fight and it took me into the rocks.
I finally got smart and whipped out the surface iron and made short work of four very nice yellows including the big lifetime best model and countless barracuda and bonito who were climbing over each other to get at my chewed up Kicker Jig which the big yellow finally trashed. Another huge one actually bent open a big heavy siwash hook on one of my Krocs. Certainly the best iron bite of my life.
104795IMGP2188778-med.jpg

We moved to another spot and Juan suggested I try the Gulp shad I’d brought on a big lead head and I'm instantly hooking up with 4-6lb calicos and the other personal best a monster 9 pounder; it hit so hard I thought it was another yellowtail.

104795IMGP2192780-med.jpg

We could have stayed camped at the Blowhole B&B for ever but duty calls and we headed back Monday morning. On the way home we stopped at Baja Cactus in El Rosario for the night. We loved it! The place is absolutely beautiful and we have a new favorite stopping spot for a nice hot shower and big bed after days on the road. Although next time I'm going to get a room on the top floor in the back;some rude racer types showed up late and woke everybody in the joint up with their banging around.
We got into town about sundown and did not want to eat at Mama E's; the girls in the office sent us up the road to the restaurant next to the Sinahloa RV park/motel and we had another great meal.
The next morning we ended up going the LONG way home; through Mexicali.Let's just say we wanted to take the scenic route.
Got home Tuesday night around 6pm plum tuckered but ready to go back at the drop of a hat.
I sure wish that darned Mex hiway 1 was little wider though.
A good time was had by all.......
104795IMGP2171775-med.jpg

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Halboo said:
We bought some beautiful scallops from Vicente and I had a great chat with him; he even showed us a scar from a mako bite he'd gotten years before.
Again no fish so we decide to finally head over to Asuncion.
We had originally planned on going there for the first part of the trip but SWIMPAL wanted to get a little more experience on her new kayak before she tackled the Pacific.
We got to Juan and Shari's http://www.bajabnb.com and were greeted with open arms and looks of relief, seems Shari had not gotten the message we'd left for her days before.
minibnbwaves.jpg

Their little place is terrific and they are spectacular hosts and very special people. They are both wonderful cooks and we ate all kinds of yummy seafood's including the amazing Caracol.
We were having such a good time just eating and gabbing, the yaks never even touched the water but on Saturday Juan and I went fishing and I had the best day fishing I've had in years.
The Cooperative in this area is an example for the rest of Baja and does a tremendous job protecting the abundant local resources
I'm not saying just where we went but the water was gin clear and when I made my first cast with a big 4oz Kroc that had been bouncing around in my tackle bag for years, I was instantly on.
Juan said he could see the very big yellow down on the bottom but I was too busy to look. 15 minutes of the toughest fish I've ever fought but I lost the fight and it took me into the rocks.
I finally got smart and whipped out the surface iron and made short work of four very nice yellows including the big lifetime best model and countless barracuda and bonito who were climbing over each other to get at my chewed up Kicker Jig which the big yellow finally trashed. Another huge one actually bent open a big heavy siwash hook on one of my Krocs. Certainly the best iron bite of my life.
104795IMGP2188778-med.jpg

We moved to another spot and Juan suggested I try the Gulp shad I’d brought on a big lead head and I'm instantly hooking up with 4-6lb calicos and the other personal best a monster 9 pounder; it hit so hard I thought it was another yellowtail.

104795IMGP2192780-med.jpg

We could have stayed camped at the Blowhole B&B for ever but duty calls and we headed back Monday morning. On the way home we stopped at Baja Cactus in El Rosario for the night. We loved it! The place is absolutely beautiful and we have a new favorite stopping spot for a nice hot shower and big bed after days on the road. Although next time I'm going to get a room on the top floor in the back;some rude racer types showed up late and woke everybody in the joint up with their banging around.
We got into town about sundown and did not want to eat at Mama E's; the girls in the office sent us up the road to the restaurant next to the Sinahloa RV park/motel and we had another great meal.
The next morning we ended up going the LONG way home; through Mexicali.Let's just say we wanted to take the scenic route.
Got home Tuesday night around 6pm plum tuckered but ready to go back at the drop of a hat.
I sure wish that darned Mex hiway 1 was little wider though.
A good time was had by all.......
104795IMGP2171775-med.jpg

Great info.! My wife and I are heading down Dec. 21st for 6 weeks. We did the trip 2 years ago and had a blast. This time we are going thru mexicali to the nearby hotsprings in the hills and then down the west coast, last time we did all the dirt roads down the sea of cortez. Any good information is appreciated!!

Cheers,

Ben Edmonson
Telluride, CO
www.benedmonson.com

Halboo

Observer
Hook up with the Baja Nomads over here;
http://forums.bajanomad.com/index.php
I've been doing Baja since I was a little kid, took a break for a few years and about 10 years ago got back into it again pretty heavily.

My advice for Baja:

Try to relax and not be in too big a hurry or you'll end up splattered or in debt.

Always carry more cash then you need.:costumed-smiley-007

Make friends with and be very nice to the locals; if you don't speak spanish at least get a phrase book, pinche gabacho. The scariest looking folks often turn out to be the nicest people ;)

Shade cloth is better then tarps; You get the shade without the noise and if set up right in the first place, it won't blow down unless it's blowing really bad. If it get's like that, you'll need shelter not shade.

Dead men work better then stakes at the beach.

Canned beer's easier to pack in and out. :)

It's good to have a dog around.

Pemex stations are getting closer together but you should still carry gas; they often run out at the worst times........

Unless you are into the whole scene, avoid Baja during the running of the races. :roost::truck: :rally_guys:

Always have earplugs; the roosters, roads, early morning pangero's, crows, hammered travel mates etc..... are always closer then you'd like. :gunt:

Now days even the smallest tienda will have bottled water and many of the Pemex's even have ice.

If you want epic views the SOC is great; but for catching big fish most inshore areas above Loreto are pretty well over fished unless you're well away from the population centers.
Because the cash crops of lobster and abalone are on the Pacific coast it get's most of the protection and poachers are very active everywhere :(

Things down there are changing fast; get it while ya can.:wavey:

BTW
I'm looking for like minded souls to caravan with in the future.
That friggin' Highway One gets scarier every year.:eek:

4cruzer

Adventurer
yes!

Another kayak fisherman!!
NICE report man, thank you. And nice yellowtail as well.
Next winter, long range, extended trip is on...details will precede this trip.
Be great to have some comrades.
Cheers,
gb

VikingVince

Explorer
benedmonson said:
Great info.! My wife and I are heading down Dec. 21st for 6 weeks. We did the trip 2 years ago and had a blast. This time we are going thru mexicali to the nearby hotsprings in the hills and then down the west coast, last time we did all the dirt roads down the sea of cortez. Any good information is appreciated!!

Cheers,

Ben Edmonson
Telluride, CO
www.benedmonson.com

I'm assuming you're referring to the Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs...since you asked for any good info, I'll throw in my .02...although "good" depends on your point of view. :) I know other folk on this forum have been to those hot springs and enjoyed it but...the campsites have a heavy mice and rat infestation (hunta virus?)...probably b/c they're frequently used and people leave food out. I don't think I'd go back there and I wouldn't say that about any other place I've been in Baja....just thought I'd let you know, FWIW. I mean...it's not terribly bad...you can go there and still enjoy it...depending on your tolerance for small rats...which for me is LOW.:(

rvrfish

Observer
What a great trip!

I have heard so many great things about Shari and her family, hmmmm might have to get down there...

Thank you for posting!

rvrfish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94