who has owned a 90's Chevy/GMC 6.5 TD?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The accelerator assembly is an expensive part, definitely rule out ops and lift pump first. Also check, I mean clean and dielectric grease, all your grounds. Doing so will alleviate a few issues in these trucks, actually most computer controlled vehicles with a few years on them.

Cleaning the grounds is on the list along with changing the oil, fuel filter, fuel pump sock if I can find one, and a few other things. Differential and trans fluids will get changed come Springtime.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Sounds like classic fishbite. Rotbox is right on with the ops. They are kind of a pita to replace and they fail quite often so use a good quality replacement. Also there's a guy that sells an extension to make it easier. I think his site is now Leroy diesel or something.
fishbite can be a few things. Most likely lift pump not running, either due to the pump or ops. Easiest way to determine if the pump is running: get in the truck and turn key to on position, not running, listen for a whirring noise coming from under cab on drivers side. No sound, probably best to just replace ops. I know there is a way to test it but I cant recall.

There has been reports of filter harnesses, pmd's, and injection pumps all causing fishbite. Most commonly lift pump system.

You can also check the lift pump it self by jumping the connector. The is a fuel relay, it's on the pass side of he firewall under that black cover then you can jump it and run the lift pump without going thought the ops. If it runs then you know you need to replace ur ops or fuel pump relay, if not then the pump itself is bad.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
2 trips to Moab so far plus a dozen trips to Home Depot and it's very nice having a truck. I will post more details later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94