Suburban vs Suburban, which rig to choose? PICS ADDED

Erik N

Adventurer
Hi all- Which is the better rig for heading down PINS reliably? A '92 K2500 454, or a '97 K1500 5.7? I am considering both, each will cost about the same.

It will occasionally be airborne by accident, while driving the mind-numbing 60 miles (one way) down the beach and dunes (and then back out another 60 miles) to/from my fav shark fishing spot.
Will be towing a light duty trailer some of the time, and have a kayak on the roof sometimes.

The '92 seems more simple. Which is good. But I don't really need/want a 454.
The '97 is in better shape, and has less miles on it, but it is only a 1500. Not sure if that matters THAT much...

I am currently using a '91 Xploder which is getting beat to crap. It is not really up to the job frankly. (see link) http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77303-Budget-Explorer-PINS?p=1113476#post1113476

Finally, I already have a '88 Suburban V20, which I love. But it is my "West Coast Fishing Rig" Here's a blog on some new shoes for it: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/7861-Toyo-M-55?p=1171020#post1171020

So, is the '97 "fly by wire" 4x4 mechanism prone to failure? Other isues?

My dad has a '92 3/4ton truck similar to the '92 Burb. His front hubs never seemed to work, but the chassis in general felt good.

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm still shopping and in no rush, before Spring. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
It has been discussed here before, but the 3/4T does have a heavier gauge frame, which I think would be important for those frequent flier miles. Also, the increased torque from the big block should be helpful in the sand. On road fuel economy should be similar, but off road the big block will get a bit thirsty. I am partial, but vote 3/4T for sure. And the hubs are an inexpensive upgrade to a set of Warns. Best of luck!

SUP Dude

I just went through the same thing a few months back... I was trying to decide between a 1500 or a 2500. After driving both I felt the 2500 was best for me. The power of the 454 is insane and even if I dont need that kind of power everyday it sure is nice to have when I do.

gmcpimpin

Observer
92 was the first year for GMT400 suburbans, but you said the front hubs on yours dads 92 2500 Sometimes fail to engage. So too be clear is it a GMT400 (IFS) or a left over square nose (Solid axle)? The earlier 454 TBI will have more low end grunt than the later multi-port 350, but the 350 vortec will have much more horsepower and the 4L60E will sap less power than the 4L80E in the 2500, while returning better fuel enconomy. The earlier IFS trucks have thermal front differential actuators that tend to fail in colder climates, while the later '97 will have a motor driven front actuator which is more reliable. The later truck will also have more creature comforts. It sounds like the '97 1500 would suit your needs fine, since you already have an older 2500 suburban to lift and play with. However personally I would choose the 2500, last summer I saw a nice mildy lifted 2500 Suburban with aftermarket bumpers and a front hitch rack, while I was at Assetegue Island in Maryland out on the sand. It was the dopest looking truck there.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I would go with the 2500 for sure. I am constantly regretting that my truck is a half ton and not a 3/4 ton. The 454 will actually give you better mileage than the 350 when towing or carrying a big load as the motor does not have to work as hard. Do both trucks have barn doors? The barn doors are the best if you ask me. Keep us updated and post some pics if you have them. Cheers, Chilli.:)

Erik N

Adventurer
Excellent information guys! Thanks and keep it coming!

Both Subbmarines I am considering have IFS. I test drove a K1500 (94) and wasn't impressed, really. It felt "weak".

If I could find a K2500 Suburban with the beefier transmission, but a 350 instead of a 454, that would be ideal. Don't know if those were available though.

I want an IFS one, because I already own the square-body. And, my dad's 3/4t 4x4 truck has the IFS. I always liked the way it felt driving. But the hubs hardly ever worked well.

And, of COURSE they both have barn doors!

Does someone have a link to the thread where this was discussed before? Thanks again!

Last edited:

njtacoma

Explorer
If you search suburban in the full size domestic area, a couple of threads should pop.

The gmt400 suburban 2500's were available with the 350. Here in Colorado there is usually one on craigslist most of the time. My understanding is that they return about the same mileage, no personal experience however.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Go for the 3/4 T. I went thru ths exact scenario just a few months ago. Had a '99 K1500.....HATED IT. It got 12 mpg and was absolutely gutless and weak. Sold it for what I bought it for and got a '93 3/4T with a 454 and have never been happier! Night and day difference between the two and getting about the same mileage. It is dirt reliable and easy/cheap to fix if need be.

jps4jeep

Observer
I think I would go with the 1997 here is why:

Way more comfortable interior, I've owned both trucks in the pick up platform and my 98 (current truck) blows my old 92 out of the water when it comes to ergonomics. (<- opinion based)

The frame differences between the 1500 and the 2500 is not enough to swap my opinion considering every engine that was available in a 2500 was also available in a 1500 in some capacity.

the 10 bolt rear would be the weak point in the 1500 but a 6 lug SF14 bolt can be found dirt cheap and swapped in, most 2500 suburbans I've seen have the 9.5" SF14 bolt anyways.

Motor wise, I can not justify the Gen V 454 versus the L31 votec 5.7

454 EFI version was 230hp 385lb/ft
350 vortec was 255 hp and 330 lb/ft

Once you factor in the miles per gallon, I do not see a benefit of 55 ft/lb. plus you can add some fuel saving options such as exhaust and intake to start that will bump up the hp and torque numbers while maintaining the MPG's

The only benefit that I think this 2500 has over the 1500 is the transmission, 4L80E is just a plain ol' robust unit. But again, the 4L60E is not all that bad, plus in I think 96 or 97, the 4L60E was reworked for better longevity and shift points. Heck, my 4L60E is bone stock san cooler, has over 200K original miles and tows a 6000K jeep/trailer combo through the mountains of New England.

Erik N

Adventurer
Well, I just drove the '92 2500 and I am convinced. It had the ride that I was looking for. It felt like it could take the occasional whoop-de-doo hidden in the sand, unlike that 1500. Also the sound of the 454 at WOT, well, there's something to be said for that right there!

Didn't buy it, it was too far gone. I want to spend time fishing, not wrenching. But I'll keep my eyes open :Wow1:

Attachments

• IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 26

Erik N

Adventurer
OK I am going to look at another '96 454 this weekend.

It has the captain's chairs for the second row seating. Can they be folded like the typical 60/40 bench, to make a flat area? Or removed easily?

jps4jeep

Observer
Give a man a fish, he will be satisfied for an hour; teach a man to fish, he will sit on a boat and drink beer for days.

The Gen VI block in the 96 is a votec motor and will have different power ratings than the EFI 454 (255hp and 405ft/lb) I can see a benefit in this selection over the other.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Well, I just drove the '92 2500 and I am convinced. It had the ride that I was looking for. It felt like it could take the occasional whoop-de-doo hidden in the sand, unlike that 1500. Also the sound of the 454 at WOT, well, there's something to be said for that right there!

Didn't buy it, it was too far gone. I want to spend time fishing, not wrenching. But I'll keep my eyes open :Wow1:

What does "too far gone" mean? Just curious? As in rust and wear?

I dunno, I drove A LOT of Burbs before purchasing mine. As I said before, I even owned a '99 350 Vortec for about 2 months and it was all I could take. Was it more comfortable? Not really. My '93 has nice and soft supportive seats that I could easily spend 10 hours driving in. Sure it rides like a 3/4T, but that is what's expected. Did it have equal power to the TBI 454 like the ratings say it does? Not even close, and that is just going by "seat of the pants" feel. The '99 I owned could not get out of its own way. It was a good healthy engine and only had 109k miles when bought it. I also drove a few 7.4 Vortecs. I thought for sure that was the one to have until I drove my '93. The Vortecs in general just didn't seem all they were cracked up to be. They also have a bit more upkeep with intake gaskets, spider injector assemblies, and the like. The old skool iron of the TBI just had that kick in the pants I wanted, but that was ME. I am sure 7.4 guys would tell me I am crazy. That's fine, as long as you know what you like and what you need.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior