Which Vehicle question for those down under......

Expat42451

I ve been reading a lot here and elsewhere about 4 x 4 adventures in AUS/NZ. I am asking the what vehicle question here because the vehicles I am considering are not common in the USA but you have them from what I read, in Australia.

I am currently in Lima Peru, back packing (61 years old) and have decided to buy a vehicle to continue my trip down into Patagonia. Gasoline here is around $5.60 a gallon. Diesel is around $5.15 so fuel economy is a consideration.

With this in mind I have been looking at used 4x 4's. I am seriously considering 2 different ones-- vintage early 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 3 door body, manual 5 sp. box, 1600 cc gasoline engine...and 1997 vintage toyota Prado 3 door, 5 spd box, 3000cc turbo diesel with the intercooler. From what I can determine from here, both from the internet and others that have owned both vehicles..... (please correct me if any of this is in error) the Prado gets better fuel economy than the Suzuki. Also the Prado to me is a totally different animal, separate ladder frame and so forth. The Prado seems tougher although I have read some pretty impressive things about the Suzuki. So I am at a loss on which way to go. I ve read a number of things about the Prado diesel, cooling problems, keeping the timing belt changed, &c&c. I have driven several of the PRados and have been impressed with them and drove the first Vitara today, here in Lima in the hills along the coast.......and was not that impressed. I dont anticipate any rock crawling on this trip but do anticipate bad roads, sand, mud and so forth. The only fault I have found with the Prado, just on cursory inspection is that the bottom of the transfer case hangs down in a very exposed position which would dictate the need to put on some sort of serious skid plate......

Any help, suggestions or direction would be deeply appreciated.

Expat42451 , Lima Peru (until I buy a 4 x 4 and back on the road again)

Expat42451

Brian--

Have seen the Pajeros advertised here but have not driven one. Thanks very much for the suggestion. When I finish this reply its back to the Sunday El Commercio to see whats available---

Expat42451 Lima Peru

KF4VAR

Expat42451

Found a 1999 Pajero 3 dr automatic w/the 2.8L turbo intercooled diesel for sale here. Waiting for a call from the owner now. Have done a little bit of research online and see for the larger (5dr)truck with the same diesel and I would guess the same transmission, that fuel economy is a little bet better that 21 MPG. Anyone have any ideas on what the smaller truck would get??

Thanks

Expat42451

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles