Alaskan not a serious option?

estes53

I see no mention of the Alaskan here and was wondering why?

That's what I was considering buying, but now am having second thoughts.

Alan

Doin_It

Adventurer
Jump over to ExpeditionCampers.com, (which is slowly being all transferd over to this site) under "General Discussion", is a write up on the Alaskan by Carlyle, who is building one up. I'm sure it time it will all be here.

fisher205

Explorer
Check the expeditioncampers site and there is more on Alakans. I have an early 80's model on a Dodge. They are really stout and you do not see as many old campers as an Alaskans. They are heavy for their size. I am planning on posting some pictures of my rig in the near future. - Brad

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Alaskans are awesome campers. I have fond early memories of one belonging to a couple who took me bass fishing. But as Fisher said, they are heavy, and suited for heavy trucks. I doubt they are much, if at all, more durable than a much lighter Four-Wheel Popup with an aluminum frame, but Four-Wheel Popups haven't been around as long as Alaskans. And their popup section is fabric, where the Alaskan's is solid.

suntinez

Explorer
I was looking at the Alaskan also, a lot about that design appealed to me. But as others have said ... HEAVY. When I talked to the nice people there about maybe doing a custom shell, they told me 200 pounds/inch. Wow. Since I have a half-ton truck (07 Tundra) with a longbed (8 feet), it took the Alaskan out of the picture for me. Of course I could have half the bed be a front porch, but instead I decided on a flippac. Having fun with it.

geodasher

Observer
Re: weight

suntinez said:
When I talked to the nice people there about maybe doing a custom shell, they told me 200 pounds/inch. Wow. Since I have a half-ton truck (07 Tundra) with a longbed (8 feet), it took the Alaskan out of the picture for me.
You must mean 20 lb/in. Their site lists an 8' cabover as 1740 lbs wet or about 18 lbs/in. The Tundra Long Bed 5.7L V8 has a maximum load capacity of 2000 lbs which is marginal but there are lighter Alaskan versions that look like they would work.

Or maybe you meant $200/in. which is about right. :Wow1:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles