My KTM 950 Adventure thread

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Here is my version of the now famous before/after water pump shaft picture.

as you can see mine wasn't bad at all. I only have about 12-13K miles on the bike. The new shaft is the KTM version, not the CJ.
Just because my office is next to Scuderia, so it was convenient to just pick it up there.
the guy said this is their 4th iteration and it should be as good as the CJ - we'll see.
As you said the job is relatively simple so I am not too worried even if I have to do it again.
I also decided not to touch the bearings as they seem to be still perfect.

waterpumpshaft.jpg

Frank

Explorer
That is awesome, glad to hear it! I have put about 300 miles on my bike and I grin ear to ear every time I get on it! Glad to see you replaced your water pump shaft. My e-mechanic skills tells me that shaft was due to be replaced. It likely would have caused you problems real soon.

Weather depending, I might attempt an Iron Butt bun burner next weekend. Whats that you ask? Its a motorcycle ride that consists of riding 1000 miles in 24 hours. Next Saturday is my birthday, and I am not exactly the celebration kinda person, so why not hop on the bike and have a little fun? The temp's appear to be near perfect, but they are calling for rain. While I dont mind riding in a little rain, this is one time I think I will avoid it. http://www.ironbutt.com/

Frank

Explorer
I would not say it's not a horror story but mine have definitively deformed. My KTM is black and I have the issues with the tank overflowing many times.
I think a combination of outside heat, internal pressure and perhaps questionable quality control have contributed to this.

it's not the end of the world, but it does take a few more minutes and efforts to take the tanks back in place.

I think you really have to approach these machines with a different mentality.
They are closer to a racing bike than a high production motorcycle and as such needs constant adjustments, maintenance and follow-up.

I am still loving this bike, but my next one will be a Yahama Tenere...

:)

I couldnt agree with this anymore. This bike requires a lot of finesse and there really isnt any place that you can cut corners like, say a KLR or DR or something. Ive learned that its easiest to put the tanks on very slow. If you set the tank on the frame, get the top bolt started, then the back bolt (which might require pulling the rear fairing loose), then the bottom bolt, it will go together pretty easily. Also, if you are running crash bars, doing the stud mount is almost a necessity.

Frank

Explorer
Also, I forgot to mention that I installed a pre-filter from KTM twins and installed Touratech 30mm risers. 30mm made a world of a difference in terms of comfort and I am not as hunched over when standing up.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Frank,

I hope you don't mind me "highjacking" your thread a little...I figure there is not much point starting another one with similar topic.

Here is a picture of all the parts needed to be reinstalled after the engine goes in the frame..the Quad in the back is there for size perspective..

Parts.jpg

EngineOpen.jpg

BikeWithEngineBackIn.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
On the topic of the gas tank expanding....I found out that one problem is the bottom outlets (left/right) for the fuel tank are touching the front support bracket.
I use the grinder and trimmed a bit of material. it seemed to help a lot. Not sure if you can make sense of these pictures.

frontsupport.jpg

frontsupporttrim.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
So today I finally have the chance to get back on my KTM, after almost 2 years of abstinence. Blame it on the house remodeling and the engine issue...

The ride was phenomenal. I have this great terrain accessible right behind my house.

With new rings, valve job and all emissions stuff removed, the power is insane.
I did not want to push it too much....trying to stay below 80 mph...

I can't wait for the next big ride.

KTMRide33013.jpg

164953_10151605191965628_1475439451_n.jpg

733872_10151605192105628_1175331946_n.jpg

625542_10151605192235628_556137768_n.jpg

*hijack over...*

Frank

Explorer
No worries at all about a little high jacking! I enjoy a conversation as well as others I'm sure enjoy reading it. Your tanks sure did expand a lot.

Super glad to see your bike on the road! I would kill for some terrain like yours out my back door! If it weren't for my job and family, I would move to your area tomorrow!

Mechanical

Adventurer
I couldn't agree with this anymore. This bike requires a lot of finesse and there really isnt any place that you can cut corners like, say a KLR or DR or something. Ive learned that its easiest to put the tanks on very slow. If you set the tank on the frame, get the top bolt started, then the back bolt (which might require pulling the rear fairing loose), then the bottom bolt, it will go together pretty easily. Also, if you are running crash bars, doing the stud mount is almost a necessity.

Thanks for the update on the tanks. It seems like a lot of things can really get blown out of proportions in online forums. It's good to hear neither of you had serious, "world ending" problems. As for the routine maintenance, sure these bikes are a little more intensive (hopefully I won't have to go through what Christian did), but I have really grown to love doing regular maintenance on the big KTM. It has turned into good way for me to wind down after work, and I feel a lot more confident riding a machine that I KNOW is in working order. The bike just gets more and more character every time I work on it.

Frank

Explorer
I love this bike.

Today we went out on a little ride around the area (really, just terrorize the local dirt roads) and I have a hard time wrapping my head around how easy this bike is to ride. It is so awesome on so many levels.

One thing I thought about doing while the bike was apart this winter was servicing the suspension. Well, I neglected it and this is what I get for doing so. The bike has almost 26,000 miles on it and I have to assume it has never been serviced. The front fork seals blew out on me. She is back on the center stand and hopefully I will get things ordered this week, and able to ride it next weekend. :(

Fail by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Me on the left, my bike in between my brother in laws 685 KLR and my father in laws 990-

Untitled by Frank Vest, on Flickr

-And my wife surprised me with this Wolfman Rollie for my birthday! The medium is a little smaller than I thought it was going to be, but still a very useful bag. My 'stich heated fleece fits perfectly.

My new Wolfman Rollie! by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Frank

funny timing...I also just came back from a ride. I had a few hours left before the sun set down so I hit the trails behind my house...I am still exploring this labyrinth and I sort of get lost a little bit and then met up this biker on Honda 450. He was even more lost and confused than me....trying to meet back with his friend from whom he had separated earlier.

So I decided to stick with him, as he was only wearing a t-shirt and it was starting to get really cold...I eventually figured out that he was confused because he was totally drunk...

I had to help him kick start the Honda and push it around.

Damn this thing is so light compare to my KTM! It would be fun to ride on the smaller/narrower trails, but the KTM is such a great bike all around.

ride.jpg

As for your front forks, I had to do the same. They had started leaking and James (also on this board) sent them to some guy in Oregon (I think) to have them redone and put new spring. The difference is awesome!

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
Sounds like you had a very interesting day! I would love to have another, smaller bike to toss around in the woods and such. About 200 miles due north of me is the start of the Michigan ORV trail system. The trail system is a well groomed single/2-track trail... http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10365_15070_15080-38330--,00.html

Maybe in the near future, I can get something else to toss around the trails. My daughter is getting to the age where I think she could use something more powerful than a power wheel. haha!

Anyways, I ordered all of the tools and parts to change the fork seals this morning. Seems like Motion Pro has the best tools out there, and were only a few extra dollars more than the run of the mill tools.

Now to figure out fork oil weight and oil levels...any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz