My KTM 950 Adventure thread

Frank

Explorer
As many of you followed My KLR thread and watched the build of the bike, hopefully you read about my frustrations regarding the KLR. It was a great motorcycle and was wonderful in many regards. One issue to me was the lack of power to be able to carry the bike at a speed of more than 70-75mph. The bike would move at 70-75 but left little power for passing.

My new bike quest was for a machine that I could keep for a long time and satisfy all of my needs. It killed me to get rid of the KLR having done so much to it and becoming one with the bike after 10,000 miles and lots of smiles, but I couldn't keep both. My choices when considering a new bike were torn between a KTM 950/990 and a BMW F800GS. I also had my sights on a Triumph Tiger Adventure though the local dealer didn't have any in stock and showed no interest in getting one in. I wanted a bike with plenty of HP, a 21" front wheel, industry support, and power for accessories like added light's, GPS and my heated gear. The KTM and the BMW both were known for being world travelers which was appealing.

My drawbacks between the F800GS and the 950/990 were minimal. Will the 100hp dirt inspired KTM be too much for me? Would the lack of a local BMW dealer be an issue for me? Would the additional maintenance costs be an issue? (both bikes go through tires that cost a little more, use premium fuel, synthetic oil's, more costly farkles...)

Either would have been a great choice. I didn't think the opportunity for owning a new bike would come so soon but I found a killer deal and had to take the plunge.

So now I have a KTM 950 Adventure, what will I do to it? For starters, I want to address all of the known issues with the bike. I called CJ of CJ Designs (who has made quite a name for himself with the KTM 950 crowd) and he advised installing his water pump kit right from day 1, removing all of the emissions stuff (if legal in my state of course), turning the fuel tanks into a true dual draw tank system with his kit and installing a aftermarket exhaust system. He also advised to change the oil jet for the clutch. Of course, all of these modifications he offered in his online store. After doing research, his recommendations all made sense.

If you dont want to sift through the forums, here is a great one stop shop for doing research on the most common issues and modifications to the 950.
http://www.ktm950.info/

advrider.com is a great resource as well and should go without saying. Likely if you are reading this, you have been on adv at some point, too.

Here she is. I bought it in the dead of winter, ice on the roads and a mild 30f outside. Of course trailered home due to the ice.

My new KTM 950 Adventure by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Knowing I already had plans to replace the water pump shaft and seal asap, I wanted to check and see if it had already destroyed itself. The quickest way to check is to pull the clutch cover and inspect for a yellow, milky substance after the bike has been warmed up.

Sure enough, mine was toast. I was disappointed to see this but not surprised. Who knows how long this has been like this but I suspect not very long.

More 950 rebuild photos by Frank Vest, on Flickr

So without thought, I decided that since we are in winter, I might as well tear the bike down and start to investigate other issues fixing everything I can find to ensure a great worry free 'season' of riding ahead. My main focus was to address everything CJ mentioned. In stock form, with the preventive maintenance complete, this bike is awesome, so I read. I want to bring the bike to that point.

Tearing the bike down, I found why this bike gets the race bred attention it does. Everything about this bike is top notch. Even the details like aluminum washers, bolts that are the exact length, the battery at the very bottom of the bike, the massive tubes on the forks, aluminum swing arm, aluminum behind the fairings, chromoly frame...the list goes on.

The bike is currently tore down a little more than this at the moment but these photos display a little more of what I am talking about.

Hopefully, I will have preventive maintenance complete in the next few weeks. More to follow...

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Great bike Frank. My 950 has done everything I asked of it and I often wished my skills could match the bike's potential.

NothingClever

Explorer
LOL....going from a KLR to the Toom must be like going from a worn-out old cropduster to a jet fighter.

I had a similar experience as you. I threw all kinds of mods and money at a BMW F650 GS Dakar and it was STILL a fat girl with spindly little legs (forks). Rode it for 55,000 miles over 24 months and it just wasn't getting any better. Great memories but it was time to move on.

I bought a 2006 950 and was blown away by its performance in all applications, the suspension and how well it carries the weight.

Congrats on the bike. If you're already on the Crush and know who CJ is, you're on the right track to address the waterpump and make informed decisions about accessories.

Again, congratulations. She's a spirited one.

Last edited:

Willman

Nicely done.

I'm jealous. Looks like you have your hands full until spring. Nice color too.

I have been lusting over KTM's 690 dual sport.

I look forward in following your thread.

Good luck on the mods.

:)

Frank

Explorer
Thanks! There is lots to do between now and spring time. -That's okay though, it will be well worth it.

Scott, that is my concern also. I'm 100% sure that I will never be able to ride this bike to its full potential.

NothingClever

Explorer
It takes special genetic coding in the womb and then a ceremonial annointment by a specially trained and qualified moto-shaman within 30 minutes of birth to be able to ride the bike to its fullest potential. Fabrizio Meoni and Jimmy Lewis come to mind as examples.

I'm happy doing Red trails (www.funtreks.com) and frequently-ridden single track in the Rocky Mountains, etc. If I want harder stuff, I'll get on my Husqvarna TE610.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Frank

great choice...I love my 950, even though it's in pieces right now. Somehow I got a hole in my exhaust valve, so I ended up taking the engine out and having both heads redone.
it is sitting on the bench, and now you make me wonder about my water pump, maybe I should change it too while it's there.

Frank

Explorer
It takes special genetic coding in the womb and then a ceremonial annointment by a specially trained and qualified moto-shaman within 30 minutes of birth to be able to ride the bike to its fullest potential. Fabrizio Meoni and Jimmy Lewis come to mind as examples.

I'm happy doing Red trails (www.funtreks.com) and frequently-ridden single track in the Rocky Mountains, etc. If I want harder stuff, I'll get on my Husqvarna TE610.

Thanks! I have considered shipping my bike to Jimmy and catching up with it to do his courses. From some of the videos I have watched on youtube, it looks like a glorified MSF dirt bike riding school which I did while in the Marine Corps on a military KLR. -not to say I wouldn't love to do Jimmy's schools though! Maybe next year? I would love to add more skills to my riding abilities!

Great looking bike Frank. I'm excited to see what you have planned for it.
Thanks! I don't plan to do much with the bike. So far, my list is pretty simple and I see no reason to do much to the bike. Protection, preventive maintenance and ride it! It came with a Seat Concepts seat which appears to be super nice and it also came with a few different wind screens. The windscreen pictured is the rally-raid windscreen.

Frank

great choice...I love my 950, even though it's in pieces right now. Somehow I got a hole in my exhaust valve, so I ended up taking the engine out and having both heads redone.
it is sitting on the bench, and now you make me wonder about my water pump, maybe I should change it too while it's there.

Thanks!

The water pump is a no-brainier. I would also consider doing the fuel pump because it too will fail. Both of these items have been documented to be failures, really about the only 'flaw' with the bike. From what I read, the O.E. water pump's life expectancy is only 10k miles. Fuel pumps are known to have a mind of their own...of course there are reports with no failures of either on 60k mile bikes.

dualsportwarehouse is CJ design's storefront.

Water pump kit that has a 36k mile/3 year warranty:
http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ-DESIGNS-KTM-LC8-WATER-PUMP-COMPLETE-KIT-WPS-CK.htm

Here is his fuel pump for the 950:
http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/C...KIT-LC8-950-ADV-Plastic-Filter-CJD-FPK-PL.htm

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
The difference between that kit and CJ's is $40 and a 36,000 mile warranty. Choose wisely.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
The grin on your face while riding is much bigger when you know you have done all of your own work. -I would say this goes for all vehicles.

(and the better part is when something does happen, because it will, you know exactly how to fix it)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
:lurk: Really hoping I don't get any influence from your build. I do want to keep the KLR'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94