A 03 Disco II Build

justfred

Adventurer
Im looking for some input from some other people on what rack to get? I am think either a Safety Device or a Baja Rack?

A good question would probably be what do you intend to carry up there?

I'd buy or build a flat rack, large enough to fit a standard sheet of plywood.

I have a Safety Devices D1 rack on my D2. It fits fine, looks great. I'd say it's only marginally useful, since it won't quite fit a 4x8, and it's difficult to walk on, and a rooftop tent would have to be mounted on top of the rails, or cut the rails. The staggered design matches the top of the truck, but it makes the rack harder to use. And even attaching standard tiedowns is a bit annoying, because the bars are slightly too big. That said, I've used it a lot, and I cut a sheet of plywood to fit (about 6" off the end, and taper/notch the front) and that was really handy for carrying lumber for a project I worked on. Also nice to sit up there on a folding chair! I had planned to sleep up top, too, but didn't end up bothering.

aarcaris94

The main reason is to haul gear and eventually get a roof top tent. But I also want the rack to improve the look of Disco. I really love the way they look with a rack and lights. I know that to mount a tent on these you have to do some cutting but I have a plan to make a section to be removable. Any one have a reason for on or the other?
Thanks,
Austin

aarcaris94

I am liking the look of the SD rack better but can't find a cheap used one. So I'm thinking of building my own but want to see if anyone wants to give some pictures and some demensions on there rack?
What does everyone think about building one? Do you think it's worth the time and effort to build one or just wait for a used one to come up?

Howski

Just be aware that really no matter the condition of an SD rack they will be expensive. That being said, they are awesome racks.

MedicalCowboy

Adventurer
Yeah they're expensive. I managed to get mine for $800 :Wow1: the guy bought it for his stock D2 did not like the look and sat it in his garage then forgot about it. Lucky lucky me lol

GaAlpinaowner

Adventurer
Here is a Farmtek platform pre fitted before the SD rack was powdercoated.

RoofRack007.jpg

RoofRack003.jpg

aarcaris94

Can anyone tell me what tires and rims are on this rover I found
Mainly the tire size.
Also does someone know how to build rock sliders similar to these?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94