better fabric-design for flippac????

aventurero

Hmmmm, The screen is just plain cheap! And like I wrote earlier, it needs to be on the inside. Look at any quality tent and the screen is on the inside. Something may come of all this discussion. I hope.
Cheers

getout

Adventurer
When we had a flippac, we always thought about trying to talk Kirkhams into remake the tent with the canvas they use to make the Springbar tents out of (http://www.kirkhams.com/springbar-tents/). We've got tents from them that are over 30 years old and still waterproof.

They're also local and my wife used to work for them...so that might have helped. We sold the flippac though before we did anything.

Frostymug

Observer
Design

I agree with the what’s been said so far. The FlipPac tent is woefully substandard and the fiberglass shell could use improvement as well. Its unfortunate FRP does not seem interested (capable?) in improving their product because the FlipPac concept is ingenious and if redesigned, manufactured, and marketed properly I think it would be incredibly successful. The number one complaint I hear about the FlipPac is it’s not waterproof.

If Ursa Minor Vehicles is thinking about bringing an improved “fold over truck camper shell” to market I would be very interested in upgrading. However, I would imagine it could take a few years to develop. In the meantime I would like to replace the tent.

I don’t have the skills, resources, or the time to build my own replacement tent but I do know how I would design it.

The tent needs to withstand heavy rainstorms, high winds, and at least a few inches of snow without the need for a separate rainfly. It should have good ventilation that is useable during stormy weather. And the tent needs to be much quieter during wind events, less flapping fabric.

In general it should be designed like a quality mountaineering tent; aerodynamic, drum taught pitch, minimal fabric stretch when wet, a strong pole system, numerous guide out points, impeccable stitching, (most have taped seams) as few seams as possible, reinforced at stress points, vents that can be completely closed and operated from the inside, and screen material on the inside of windows. Unlike a mountaineering tent it should be durable, highly abrasion resistant, and roomy.

The tent body should use a single wall fabric that is durable, waterproof, breathable, abrasion resistant, and dries quickly. Shape it to be a little more aerodynamic without loosing too much interior volume.

Use higher quality tent poles and attachment points. Because it’s not practical to guide out a tent like the FlipPac I would suggest some type of adjustable pole system to tension the tent. An internal guide out system may help during strong winds and or extra poles could be added as needed.

Windows should have eyebrows so during rainy conditions the upper portion of the window can remain open for ventilation. Bug screens should be attached on the inside and made from no-see-em netting with independent zippers. There is no need for a roof top vent like the current tent has. And lastly, a rain skirt that overlaps the shell to keep water from pooling and leaking inside.

If SLO Sail and Canvas or AT is interested in developing a replacement tent I would certainly buy one.

Cliff

homemade

Adventurer
Interesting

Thanks Dave, but I'll have to pass on this re-tenting project, more fun to design a new truck camper shell to fit the tent and torsion bar system from the JK...:coffee:

Is this something you are working on or just contemplating?

I will probably be replacing my truck in a year or two and I would be very interested in an improved version of a flippac type camper when I replace the truck. Especially if you make one with rear barn type doors instead of just flip up glass. Given that you already have the flip top, torsion bar and tent designed hopefully it won't take as long as the jeep product to bring to market. Maybe consider starting a new thread if you are serious about it.

billy bee

Adventurer
The tent design frostymug describes is beyond the capabilities of SLO Sails, I think. There is a custom tent builder I know of who may be able to help. But I think this will be an expensive proposition. For my purposes, I very much doubt I'd consider replacing the tent. I would consider modifying it. We may modify the tent we took off Karl's FP. But that's up to Karl. But I'll ask him.

Bill

Frostymug

Observer
Billy Bee you're right, a redesigned tent would probably be very expensive to produce. I wonder how many tents a manufacturer would need to sell to make it worthwhile. Anyone have an idea how many FlipPac's are in use?

I'd be interested in the modifications to the stock tent that you and SLO Sails come with. I would really like to seal the top vent on mine. I can't see any use for it and it's a major source of noise in strong winds. Not knowing anything about sewing, I wonder if SLO Sails can stitch it closed without having to remove the tent or if it could be closed using some type of fabric adhesive?

Cliff

Last edited:

Frostymug

Observer
If FlipPacs have been around for 35 years or so you would think there would be a market for an improved replacement tent.

Cliff

Last edited:

billy bee

Adventurer
I would really like to seal the top vent on mine. I can't see any use for it and it's a major source of noise in strong winds. Not knowing anything about sewing, I wonder if SLO Sails can stitch it closed without having to remove the tent or if it could be closed using some type of fabric adhesive?

I spoke to Karl today. Two thoughts came from the conversation: first, we are going to be playing with the tent we have (currently off the FP) and see about how to go about making repairs and mods. Second, there is a guy who can make custom tents; cost likely to be well north of $2,000.

To address the issue you raise, Cliff--to do any sewing on the tent, it will have to come out of the FP. I thought that would be a nightmare, but it comes out very easily... Not sure yet how easy it will be to reinstall; but it shouldn't be too hard. Once out of the shell the tent is easy to work on in the proper environment. Karl has a big loft and the right machines/people to do the work. But it is not rocket science. I think we could easily sew the vent closed. With that said, I am not sure this is something Karl will really want to tackle. But I'll talk with him more this weekend (when we get back to the matter of repairing his FP).

Bill

Frostymug

Observer
....there is a guy who can make custom tents; cost likely to be well north of $2,000. Bill

I suppose the market would be pretty limited for a $2000+ tent upgrade.

To address the issue you raise, Cliff--to do any sewing on the tent, it will have to come out of the FP. I thought that would be a nightmare, but it comes out very easily... Not sure yet how easy it will be to reinstall; but it shouldn't be too hard. Once out of the shell the tent is easy to work on in the proper environment. Karl has a big loft and the right machines/people to do the work. But it is not rocket science. I think we could easily sew the vent closed. With that said, I am not sure this is something Karl will really want to tackle. But I'll talk with him more this weekend (when we get back to the matter of repairing his FP).
Bill

If the tent has to be removed in order to sew the top vent shut then I might as well have other modifications done at the same time. Changing some or all of the windows so the bug screen is on the inside is something I would be interested in pursuing.

Interested to find out what’s involved in reinstalling Karl’s tent.

Cliff

sixbennetts

Adventurer
I talked via email with Mario about a skirt for the flippac tent. Obviously, it would need a foldover seam where it attaches to th tent itself, but my idea was for shock cord all along tthe bottom of theskirt. This wwould obviously hold the skirt down around the open lid, but would need something to grip on the cap to stay down, likean inverted hook.

When you fold up, you lift the skirt all the way around, and the shock cord will actually help hold the extra material in, right?

I also vote for awnings over the windows.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i like the shock cord idea, and i really think it would stay down pretty well on the shell by itself. if anything just loop it under the cams that hold the lid down and that should be enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles