Triple Aught Design?

Sempertoy

Explorer
I think to settle this, someone should send ol'scott a pair of TAD pants and see how many years he can use them for.

NothingClever

Explorer
ol' scott said:
I remember specifically a pair of khaki pants I bought in 7th grade (circa 1998?).

Good gravy, I thought we were going to talk rugged expedition apparel for our forays into the jaws of wilderness but perhaps we should just start with making sure we pack clean underwear for a sleepover :D ?

Just having fun, ol' scott :D

ol' scott

Adventurer
Good gravy, I thought we were going to talk rugged expedition apparel for our forays into the jaws of wilderness but perhaps we should just start with making sure we pack clean underwear for a sleepover :D ?

Just having fun, ol' scott :D

Hahah, as my students like to say "I know, right?"

I certainly appreciate the history of the company and a bit of background on the founder and his way of thinking on the subject. I'm sorry if my statement came off as demeaning as it wasn't meant that way but it was rather meant to ask the question "Is there value that can be found in other items and what is our definition of value?" In hindsight I can certainly see where my statement about the beads and the match cases can be seen as somewhat demeaning but I think we all have to ask ourselves "At what point are manufacturers using the 'uniquely skilled, hand-crafted' lable as away of getting more money from consumers?" That may not be the case with TAD, the founder sounds like a great guy, but for me, when I saw those items, it kicked me into thrift mode. "Why would somebody spend that kind of money on a match case? Wait! Why am I even considering spending so much money on a jacket when I have several perfectly good ones that are nowhere close to wearing out?"

As for high-priced, limited production items I certainly buy a fair share. I enjoy local art and medium grade watches (think Hamilton and Christopher Ward, not Rolex or Breitling). But if somebody were to come and ask me "Should I buy a Hamilton? Is it the best value?" I would answer in much the same way I answered the question about TAD, I'd tell them a story. My dad bought a Timex Automatic watch in the 1970's. I wore that watch yesterday. It has never been serviced (gasp!) and it still keeps time very well. I also own several $500+ watches. Most of them keep time just as well as the Timex. They have "better" craftsmanship but they all do the same job. Are they the best value? Well it depends on what value is for you. If you're looking for something to keep the time I'd say a Timex will do the job just as well as the Hamilton or Tissot or Christopher Ward (better actually than the CW since the CW is kind of "special"). Does the Swatch group make a good product? Yeah, pretty much. Does TAD make a good product? Yeah, pretty much. Are there other companies out there that make products that will serve the same purpose for less? Yep.

So for the guy asking if it's worth the money, I can't help because I've never purchased from them. However, I can say that I've purchased less expensive products and have had no trouble at all. You just have to ask yourself, are you willing to pay twice as much for a product because of its backstory? Everyone will have a different answer. My answer for TAD gear is "I wish I could but I won't."

And I wear 35" x 31" if somebody wants to send me some free pants ;) (Or 36" x 32" and I'll do the hemming and taking in myself. See, I'm a skilled craftsman too.)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I agree wit ol'scott. TAD gear is probably excellent stuff, just not sure if I will ever drop the coin to buy some. It is kinda of funny that you can wear the same pants that you did in the 7th grade though. A 35"x31" in the seventh grade is a "husky" kid. Heck I think my legs are 6" longer than they were in the seventh grade.

ol' scott

Adventurer
Yeah. They were 34" x 30". I like the 35" or 36" now be ause I'm not the exact size I was in 7th grade and I like a little extra room. I was 5' 9" and 170lbs then, I'm closer to 5' 11" and 190lbs now. I was a "husky" kid, hahah, but I got a lot of attention from football coaches. They were disappointed when I stopped growing at 16. I own a few shirts from middle school too.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Just tell the truth, sir....it's Gucci-macho and makes you feel elite when you order that white, double-mocha frappucino with chocolate sprinkles on top.

Seriously dude, they make my butt look hot.

5975646223_651a073e41_z.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
That is so not right Marine... staring? Seriously? Glad I retired... this new military, I tell you what.

New military eh? Tell you what sir, you won't find any pictures of me on the Internet clenching my butt for the world to see ;) plus I'm just a couple months away from my EAS. Then ill just be a creepy civilian looking at your butt. What's worse?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
New military eh? Tell you what sir, you won't find any pictures of me on the Internet clenching my butt for the world to see ;) plus I'm just a couple months away from my EAS. Then ill just be a creepy civilian looking at your butt. What's worse?

********! How can I respond to that... hoisted on my own petard... you are da man! Still ********...

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

Oh wait! I do remember a picture of you all cuddly and what not on a pallet... remembering...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste