15" vs. 16" or larger wheels?

arveetek

Adventurer
It's time for new shoes for my Tahoe. My rig came from the factory with 16" rims, but I ditched those in favor of some old school 15" rims several years ago. Now that it's time for new tires, I'm finding that 15" tire choices are very limited. I currently have 31 x 10.50 all terrains, but want to step up to a 33" tire.

It looks like the limited choice of tires will limit me to a load range C. If I stepped back up to a 16" or larger, I can get a LR D or E.

Obviously, funds are tight, so purchasing new wheels is something I want to avoid if possible.

What are your opinions: stick with my 15" rims and get a 33x12.50x15 C tire, Like a Falken Wildpeak A/T, or step up to 16" rims and get a 285/75R16 D/E tire like a Toyo Open Country A/T II or Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx?

Thanks,

Casey

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm not sure there was ever that many 15" tires with load range D or higher to begin with, but then again I've never looked into it real deeply (everything I've always bought has been C).

Unless you actually need the higher load (which I don't think would be necessary on a Tahoe because it's ½-ton), I'd say stick with the 15s. Not only are tires cheaper for 15s, they also tend to ride smoother too as they aren't as stiff (though this might also affect handling to a small degree, not sure).

y5e06

16" rims are easy to upgrade for the size range you are looking for on your OBS.
you can get a used set of aluminum 16" rims from trucks all the way up to '05 for probably $75-$125 on craigslist, depending on your market and the style.
How much can you sell your rims for? probably for a similar price if they are decent.
If the 16" tires costs are comparable to what 15" are and you can get a size more suited to your taste then it is worth it.
285/16's are a great size for these trucks...

Revco

Adventurer
The local "Wrench-A-Part" sells ANY make/model/size aluminum rim for $20 each or any steel one for $10 each. They have tons of Chevy trucks out there with a revolving inventory. If I were you, I'd grab a set of stock 16" wheels and ditch the 15 inchers.

Scott Brady

Founder
Unless extreme flotation is required (maximum carcass area), the 16" seems to be the best overall wheel size from my experience. The 16 provides the advantage of better handling on the highway with less carcass deflection. 16" tires are also plentiful now.

arveetek

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips, guys. I've been advised that 12.50 wide tires may not ride as smoothly and handle as well as a narrower tire. I do believe that the 285/76R16 tire would be a perfect fit for what I need, and be a bit narrower (around 11.50) than the 12.50 tire.

I hadn't really considered going with a stock 16" rim, so that would be a bit more budget friendly....

Casey

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's time for new shoes for my Tahoe. My rig came from the factory with 16" rims, but I ditched those in favor of some old school 15" rims several years ago. Now that it's time for new tires, I'm finding that 15" tire choices are very limited. I currently have 31 x 10.50 all terrains, but want to step up to a 33" tire.

It looks like the limited choice of tires will limit me to a load range C. If I stepped back up to a 16" or larger, I can get a LR D or E.

Obviously, funds are tight, so purchasing new wheels is something I want to avoid if possible.

What are your opinions: stick with my 15" rims and get a 33x12.50x15 C tire, Like a Falken Wildpeak A/T, or step up to 16" rims and get a 285/75R16 D/E tire like a Toyo Open Country A/T II or Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx?

Thanks,

Casey

Casey, if your Tahoe is 8 lug then I have some wheels for you. Last week I removed the 16x8 alloys that came on my truck in favor of some newer style stock 16x6.5 Chevy HD wheels for better economy. I will PM you the link.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you stick with 15s, there are a few 33x10.50 and 33x9.50 sizes available. BFG makes a couple worth looking at. 33x10.50R15 is roughly a 285/75R16, and 33x9.50R15 is close to 255/85R16. The 15s are load range C, the 16s are D. I bet your Tahoe would prefer the 16s.

arveetek

Adventurer
Casey, if your Tahoe is 8 lug then I have some wheels for you. Last week I removed the 16x8 alloys that came on my truck in favor of some newer style stock 16x6.5 Chevy HD wheels for better economy. I will PM you the link.

Nope, I've got six lug. Thanks though.

Casey

arveetek

Adventurer
I bet your Tahoe would prefer the 16s.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think.

What about 17's? I've found several set of OEM 17" take offs in good shape.... any reason not to go with 17's vs. 16's? I know the tires are just a little more expensive for 17's, but there's also a chance that 16" offerings are going to start disappearing slowly as well...

I found a gentleman wanting to sell a set of Maxxis Bighorn 285/70R17 tires on OEM 17" steel wheels.... looks to be in good shape, few miles on the tires.

Casey

arveetek

Adventurer
Also, what do ya'll think of Treadwrights? They've got a new design out, all new from bead to bead. Pretty good prices for a 285/70R17 in load range D.

Casey

greengreer

Adventurer
In your Sig it says Daily driver and tow rig, I would stay away from wide and c load tires in that case. If I had a half ton I would be running Cooper st in 255/85/16, taller than a 285/75/16, better mpg and less wear on suspension and steering, and a d load rating. Spares are gonna be tougher to find, but imo the benefits outweigh that risk.

Our 1997 Yukon had 18" gang-star wheels and I went back to factory 16" and a set of 10 ply 235/85-16E tires from Les Schwabs. They ride so much better than the 18" rims and they are the best sized tire for a stock-ish rig, at least most people that have gone full curcle on tires have landed on them or the 255/85-16E tires. But if you are stock I would go 235/85 and the 16" tire selection is better than 15" unless you are looking at full bore mud tires.

The only downfall to the taller tire on such a tight turning truck is the chunking of the tread when you do u-turns alot. My buddy has a CCLB with 6.5L in front and he destroys fronts 2:1 from the long wheelbase pushing on the front tires, but the 2dr should not have that problem.

My vote is a medium tread 235/85-16 E rated 10 ply and a set of chain link tire chains!!

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I bought my wife a new GMC Sierra crewcab 2wd for our new family vehicle in 2005. The truck was equipped with 245/70-17 tires that were just plain crap. After going through a series of 17" tires, I found some Goodyear Eagle 20s on shiny spoke wheels. After I installed the 20s, the truck handled and rode much more to my liking. The 17" tires were averaging about 25K miles before replacement. The 20" tires go a bit further between sets. Tires are presently D-rated.

This truck does see it's share of trailer hauling, some dirt when I used it for work, and the occasional forest road, and we haven't really babied it.

101_9560.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles