15" vs. 16" or larger wheels?

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I have 17's and love the way they work. They are in a 265-70-17 toyo a/t on a stock 2007 Tahoe wheel. There is still plenty of sidewall flex for trails but not too much sidewall for the street. I love the way they perform. That being said however, I'm looking to step back down to 16's so that I can get the 255-85/16 size. 285's are a good choice, but they start to get a little heavy for 1/2 ton ifs stuff, especially on your diesel Tahoe.

arveetek

Adventurer
I'm really leaning towards 16" rims now. Not only are 15" tire choices limited, but most 33" tires are 12.50 wide, which are not approved for my 8" wide rims. I know they still work, as I've run 13.50" tires on 8" rims before, but not on a daily driver. I'd rather stay in the approved rim width.

There's only like two tire choices in a 33x10.50 that would work with my current rims. I could also go to 32x11.50, but those choices are limited as well, and I want to get the tallest tire I can under my rig.

Casey

4x4junkie

Explorer
... most 33" tires are 12.50 wide, which are not approved for my 8" wide rims.

Which is funny, they at one time were "approved" for 8" rims (at least BFG's were), but 5-10 years back it seems someone decided to change it to 8.5" minimum (a size I haven't seen). :confused:

17s (and larger) seem to be the big profit-makers for tire companies, so no surprise selection seems best in this size.

I would 3rd y5e06's suggestion about the used 16s earlier in the thread, however it appears 255/85R16s are your only choice if you want to stay within "approved" rim sizes and be 33" tall... (car-part.com shows the stock Tahoe rims to be 16x7.0"). I don't see a lot of options in that size (the previously mentioned Cooper ST, the BFG MT/KM2 and Toyo MT is all I came across without deeply scouring the web).

arveetek

Adventurer
Which is funny, they at one time were "approved" for 8" rims (at least BFG's were), but 5-10 years back it seems someone decided to change it to 8.5" minimum (a size I haven't seen). :confused:

I know, isn't that weird? If you look for aftermarket rims, they usually are 15x8, then 15x10; 16x8, 16x10, etc. I've not seen any available 15x8.5 rims myself. Only certain OEM wheels come in the .5" sizes, and usually they're narrow.

Casey

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Yeah, almost no aftermarket wheel is as narrow as oem wheels. Mine are 17x7.5, of which in the aftermarket there are almost no wheels in that size. As for the 255 tire, in a 17 there is only the BFG KM2, and that is a far more aggressive tire than I need. But in a 16", there are at least 6 different tires, mostly all-terrains, and all bigger name quality stuff, at least by a quick google search. There aren't even any tires in that size range in a 15" rim. I think for your criteria a 16x7 or 16x8 wheel would be your best bet.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If your rims are 16x8, you really don't want to run a 255/85. They are too narrow for 8" rims. 285/75 is a much better size for a 8" rim. You will also find 285/75s are much more common, so more tread choices, and less likely to be back ordered if you ruin a tire.

arveetek

Adventurer
All right, I've decided to go with a 285/75R16 tire (either the Cooper S/T Maxx or Toyo A/T II) and get some 16" rims.

Next question: steel vs aluminum?

I've looked at used OEM take-offs, and haven't seen anything I've liked. I found these at Summit Racing for a real good price:

sum-85-6883_sn.jpg

They are 16x8 steel versions.

Any reason not to run steel? I know they bend easier than aluminum, but they can also be bent back if damaged on the trail. Aluminum tends to just crack or break.

Thanks,

Casey

noJeepshere

Adventurer
For off road use, steel is all around better as it is more durable, but it is heavier, and if your area sees salt on its roads in winter, they will begin to rust over time. With aluminum, if you're not careful about rotations or putting grease or something between the wheel and hub, the two will eventually corrode together and make your life miserable. Those soft-8's are good wheels, I would go with them.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have recently been doing the same calculations about new tires for my truck. The only modern size that matches my old school 35 inch by 15 inch BFG TAs is a 325/65/18 tire that has a load range `E´rating. I was thinking about going for the Goodyear Duratrac tires as it seems they would suit my needs well.:ylsmoke:

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
I used to have a Duramax Diesel with 285's on the stock 16" wheels. I wish I remembered what tires they were. It worked ok. However, after stepping up wheel diameter on my Bronco to 18" wheels I have to say that the bigger wheels feel NICE. Of course the tires I have are stiff, and 35's, but the 18x9.5 wheel makes the tire MUCH nicer on the street. In fact I would say the M/T's on an 18" wheel perform better on road than an all terrain on a smaller wheel.

FWIW the tires I'm using are Hankook Dynapro MT's. One of the offroad mags did a review and rated them the best mud terrain off road, and another review talked about how the Hummer H1 guys use them because they are stiff and wear well. I have found them to wear like Iron. If they are still available I would look into them (I picked them up a few years ago)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior