Newbie gear and such.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
...and one more suggestion:

If you haven't done so in a while...take a MSF Experienced Rider Course...it's a half day...around $85 IIRC...

The basics have saved my life numerous times!!!

-H-

Speaker

Adventurer
Like others have said. Buy everything. You can save money here and there if you shop around. I usually find that last years gear, or the year before that, works out because everyone always wants the new styles.

Also, for a great helmet that wont cost you an arm and a leg, look at Scorpion. Before I bought one of those, I got three concussions with my cheapie "Snell/Dot" helmet. One of the best riders I know says his helmet preferences go like this: Arai, Shoei, then Scorpion.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'll second a vote for Scorpion helmets. I picked up one for my wife, and the features, like a removable lining (which btw...doesn't feel like sandpaper...It's really nice!) make it a fantastic helmet for the price!

-H-

dirtysouth

Adventurer
My in-laws all ride harleys and used to harass me about wearing all my gear but I told them I'm just too damn pretty to let the asphalt do a number on me. I have enough scars from just tripping on the asphalt as a kid, imagine sliding for a 100' ft or so :( .

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Newbie gear & such

Before you head out to the store to buy the gear. Sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginning riders course or an equivalent and gets some good instruction.

Then you may lessen the chance that you'll need to employ all that new gear.

Get your license.

Welcome to the sport. Motorcycling is unlike anything else.

Jim

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
jfm_stl said:
Before you head out to the store to buy the gear. Sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginning riders course or an equivalent and gets some good instruction.

Then you may lessen the chance that you'll need to employ all that new gear.

Get your license.

Welcome to the sport. Motorcycling is unlike anything else.

Jim

I second the BRC if you are new to, or getting back into the moto world after a long break.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Kermit said:
Time and time again, you see the guy on a $10K crotch rocket wearing flip flops and shorts. ten thousand dollar bike, two dollar head.

Doesn't that drive you nuts? I'd rather be hot then go down in a t-shirt and shorts

Another good place for research is http://www.webbikeworld.com

Good reviews there, especially on the often confusing world of helmets. Being a cruiser-type, I just got my first full-face last week after doing some research there - got an HJC on clearance from New Enough - Good quality liner, great fit, flows more air than I thought it would.

I'm still looking for the right armored jacket (leather and....um - jeans right now...sorry 'bout that, Hltopper...) but that is next on the list - got the GF an Olympia Airglide - great jacket, I might go with one of those, myself.

Gotta wear gloves - on or off pavement, that would suck to put a bare hand down.

And earplugs - even if I am just riding up to the store, I always put in the plugs...of course, I inherited reasonably loud pipes from the previous owner, but even if I had stock pipes, I'd still wear the plugs - protecting the ears and eyes is just as important as everything else.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
+1 on the earplugs, something that I forgot to mention but may be one of the most important pieces of "gear". After I got used to using them, I can't get down the driveway without them in my ear. For those that don't use them, you will be very suprised at how much better your ride will be with earplugs.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
No worries Bootzilla....I'm not psycho about folks riding in what they want to...it's a free country...:)

Only time I get into my "ATGATT or adios" rant is when I'm "leading" a Mexico tour, and acting as the group medic...I expect get offs and falls...but don't want preventable injuries in the middle of nowhere...

:arabia:

-H-

flux

Observer
What type of riding?

One thing that has not been addressed yet is you have to think about what kind of riding you will be doing: dirt or street? I have 2 different sets of gear depending on what the majority of my day looks like. I have the luxury of not having to ride many pavement miles at all to get to the dirt though.

Since you are on a Tiger I am going to assume you will be doing more street miles along with some basic forest service and dirt roads. I would lean more towards the street side of things. You will find very few products actually made for 'dual sport riders' although that is changing in my opinion.

I prefer a dirt helmet almost all the time b/c it is lighter and better ventilated. I used a Scorpion for a few years which is a great value at $150 for the higher end one. I recently gave in and bought an Arai XD so I could have a face shield (like a street helmet) during these cold winter months coming up. I am happy with it so far, and managed to find one new far less than the $500 MSRP. Someone earlier said that a more expensive helmet will fit better and that is not true. Find one that fits your head, that is the most important thing. A more $ lid brings more features usually, and the finish is usually better. If Scorpion made a dual sport helmet like the XD I would sell the XD in a SECOND.

I am always trying to find the 'prefect' jacket and still have not found it, although yesterday I did end up buying a Tourmaster Transition 2 and believe it is worth every bit of the $160 I paid for it. Dirty South has crash tested one and it held up good enough to keep wearing. Apparently it is waterproof from the outside, not due to a liner (waterproof liners mean all the outside of the coat gets soaked). Also has a great amount of vents. I think this could be 'the one!' Also, I am a fan of the harder armor, not the soft stuff that First Gear and some others use.

Pants, again, find something that vents and can get you home dry should the weather turn foul. I have some Hein Gericke Toureg pants I like on the street, although you cannot buy them in the states. They do have knee and hip armor and are waterproof, but they do not vent at all and get too hot in the summer.

Gloves- get some that are not too bulky so you can feel the grips. Even in winter I wear thin gloves...along with heated grips you cannot go wrong. I just bought some Alpinestars that were like $40 and seem good for the $. I keep a pair of MX gloves in my pockets at all times in case it gets hot or my original get too wet.

Boots- I second the Sidi Discoveries. They have been waterproof so far and seem to be wearing good. They are one of the few products made for dualsporters. Alot of guys like the Gaerne Explorers but I hear they leak like a sieve. The Discos run about $250 and the Expl about $150. In my opinion your hiking boots are not good enough. For one thing, your laces could come untied and get in your chain, etc.

What else? Dirty got me into wearing earplugs and like him I cannot ride without them anymore. It makes stopping at lights to talk to your buddies a very public conversation but at least I won't be deaf when I'm old. A fleece balaclava can help keep your neck and upper chest warm on chilly days. I have one from Schampa and love it.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Hltoppr said:
No worries Bootzilla....I'm not psycho about folks riding in what they want to...it's a free country...:)

Heh heh - I'm just giving you a rough time - just got my Tourmaster jacket with CE armor this week - totally loving it!

I'll second the vote for a balaclava, too - very nice for cold weather, and you look like a ninja - which is mildly amusing to those around you, too.

And like others have added - now that I have gotten used to riding with earplugs, I can't stand riding without them - your ears will thank you years from now (especially if you've got a job that is depedent on them, like I do...)

Only problem is that I need some pants to go with it - are there armored and insulated pants that are good for cold-weather riding? If I can find those and a good deal on some heated gloves, I will be in good shape. Info would probably be useful for Schattenjager (and other new riders), too...

Last edited:

flux

Observer
I used to wear some First Gear HT overpants in the winter but I do feel like FG's armor is weak, although they provided good protection from the elements. I am wearing some Hein Gericke Tuareg pants now that I bought 2nd hand...really like them but not available in the states.

I have been impressed with this Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket I recently bought. I think TM makes some heated gloves now...I know they are making heated vests now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94