Boomer the Quadravan 4x4 Camper

VANMAN

Observer
Brakes

Spence.

I always like your threads....Just checked it after a few months away....I too have always hated the stock brakes and I AGREE completely about drums...when they are set up perfect they work but always seem to go out of adjustment

I did go to a Hydroboost (3-4 years ago)...easy install....came off of a mid 70's T-bird if I recall....works much better....BUT

I'm still not satisfied....bought 17 inch wheels when I bought new tires...BF Goodrich AT K02 35x12.50x17.....Best decision I ever made...I always avoided bigger tires...rides much better...and I air down if roads are at all rough to 25psi....great tire....but I digress....with Luck.....late Nov/early Dec...I'm going with bigger rotors up front....and then later will try discs on rear....but I don't really want to go with the 3/4 ton stuff....going to see what I can come up with....I am assuming there will definitely be machining and custom brackets involved...

I probably should have just put a Sterling with discs in the rear but...now have ARBs...swaybar disconnects etc all on the original Dana FF 60

Anyway keep it up....I'm stealing your ideas

PS....RACOR filter with primer pump works WAYYYY better than original.....I put it where drivers battery used to be....much better starts also...

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Boomer just came out of hibernation last weekend and will be going under the knife tomorrow for a new torque converter. We don't have a significant amount of usage planned for this year aside from the big trip to Newfoundland in July. I have way too many projects going on this spring along with a full work schedule, so things I was hoping to get done before the trip will be hard to actually accomplish.

SG

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I've been under the weather and yesterday I was trying to rest but not so out of it I couldn't hold my head up, and ended up binge watching MSO S3, including the parts showing off the van. The series was much much better than I expected, and normally I don't pay much attention to the van builds, but Boomer is pretty darn cool. You should still be stopped at all guard houses though. :sombrero: Keep up the good work.

gtbensley

Explorer
Just replacing the old TQ with something more fresh or are you trying to gain something for performance? Did I catch a new project you might have now.....something about a hole in the water to dump some money?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
The new TC is a diesel high load towing unit from TCI. I'm hoping for just a small miracle with heat reduction and efficiency, that's all ;) Yes, there was a new addition to the adventure fleet last fall and has already consumed an ungodly amount of time and money, and we're still a long way from getting to the water.

SG

gtbensley

Explorer
The new TC is a diesel high load towing unit from TCI. I'm hoping for just a small miracle with heat reduction and efficiency, that's all ;) Yes, there was a new addition to the adventure fleet last fall and has already consumed an ungodly amount of time and money, and we're still a long way from getting to the water.

SG

Im sure that will make help a difference in the heat department. Less slip is less heat

Keep us posted with the new project!! I grew up on the Maine coast with boats so I have some interest in them.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
The torque converter install went as well as it could have. Total time from pulling into the bay to pulling back out was 6 hours with two people busting *** the entire time. The results were worth the efforts. I had a 1 hour drive home on the interstate after the install, and temps on the transmission were down 30 degrees from "normal" and 60 MPH RPM's were down around 100, from a typical 2500ish to 2400ish. Overall I'm very pleased.

I don't post much around here anymore, mostly due to a lack of time and general interest with where "Overlanding" seems to be headed. Having a family and really using the rig for bringing everybody together has caused my general interest to diverge from what "Overlanding" now means to a majority of the folks out there. Less about trails and 4WD technicalities, and more about just experiencing the world without feeling limited by our choice of vehicle. Overlanding is subjective as is the rest of life, so this isn't a statement on where its all headed as much of just seeing our path is different from the majority population.

So, for those interested in the ongoing pursuits of Boomer the Camper Van, I'm pretty active on Instagram. For the other new rig, that is also on Instagram.

@boomerthecampervan

@fvaylward

I'll check in from time to time, but this isn't where I document things any more.

SG

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Hey spence - glad you got the TC where you wanted it!

Hopefully we can take a trip of "mutual interest to see the world a bit with our vehicle of choice" with you again soon! Maybe we'll document the chronicles on IG, or maybe we'll just let it live in our hearts and minds.

Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thementalcoach

Spence, I signed up for Instagram so I could follow you - davidk4190
Your posts have really helped me stay motivated with my 88 E-350 Diesel Quigley project, thanks!

David

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
I've been on this site for 9 months, not sure how I'd gone this long without seeing this thread. Your work here is very inspirational for me as I continue a very similar build of a very similar 1980's Pathfinder E350, with a relatively similar skillset and toolset (with perhaps a one tier lower budget).

I had never considered the airbags, I've always just thought of them as necessity for towing. Could you describe what difference they've made for you in your daily use of Boomer, and how well they function to that end? Could you also refresh our memory of what you're using to produce air (if that's in here, I must have just missed it). What volume is your air storage tank? Do you find it adequate for the airbags?

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I don't post much around here anymore, mostly due to a lack of time and general interest with where "Overlanding" seems to be headed. Having a family and really using the rig for bringing everybody together has caused my general interest to diverge from what "Overlanding" now means to a majority of the folks out there.
There is no real definition to what Overlanding is.

Less about trails and 4WD technicalities, and more about just experiencing the world without feeling limited by our choice of vehicle.
I think you've just answered your own question, where this is the basis of what Overlanding it, but it also differentiates that group by "Off-Roaders" and the bad reputation of people driving recklessly and destroying the environment. I've had an RTT for 9 years, and you could say I've been Overlanding before it was a thing, or even before I knew what it was, and I don't care what it is or isn't, and I don't put myself in any group. I just find groups of like interest to share my experiences and to also learn and get ideas from. You're thread is great and I'm sure inspired many people. That's all that counts, and all that should count.

So, for those interested in the ongoing pursuits of Boomer the Camper Van, I'm pretty active on Instagram. For the other new rig, that is also on Instagram.
I really need to start using Instagram more...

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I've been on this site for 9 months, not sure how I'd gone this long without seeing this thread. Your work here is very inspirational for me as I continue a very similar build of a very similar 1980's Pathfinder E350, with a relatively similar skillset and toolset (with perhaps a one tier lower budget).

I had never considered the airbags, I've always just thought of them as necessity for towing. Could you describe what difference they've made for you in your daily use of Boomer, and how well they function to that end? Could you also refresh our memory of what you're using to produce air (if that's in here, I must have just missed it). What volume is your air storage tank? Do you find it adequate for the airbags?

The airbags are useful for balancing the load without squatting the rear springs. I have found them very helpful to level the ride when going between fully loaded and fully unloaded. There is an onboard air compressor with a 5 gallon tank which is more than adequate for keeping up with the bags.

SG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
There is no real definition to what Overlanding is.

I think you've just answered your own question, where this is the basis of what Overlanding it, but it also differentiates that group by "Off-Roaders" and the bad reputation of people driving recklessly and destroying the environment. I've had an RTT for 9 years, and you could say I've been Overlanding before it was a thing, or even before I knew what it was, and I don't care what it is or isn't, and I don't put myself in any group. I just find groups of like interest to share my experiences and to also learn and get ideas from. You're thread is great and I'm sure inspired many people. That's all that counts, and all that should count.

I really need to start using Instagram more...

Thanks for your thoughts. I feel we would agree on things around a campfire which is always a good thing. The culture shift is apparent now when you find yourself amongst a large group of "overland" people....it is all about tires, lockers, lifts and all the over the top camping gear. Maybe I was missing this all along and have only just come to the epiphany, but 4 wheeling basically has a bad name out in the world due to land abuse. All those folks have migrated, and now "Overlanding" has the same negative connotations, at least with land owners in the Northeast. I'm not a user and abuser, so being associated with any of that doesn't work for me anymore. If I can't tread lightly, than I won't tread at all.

SG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles