Tahoe VS Surburban

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Raising this one from the dead, haha.
I've been driving new full size trucks for the last 7 years for work purposes and looking to sell my current truck and downsize into an older, much cheaper and "smaller" large SUV. We do a lot of camping and I plan to do more light off road exploring with the family. We only have one child at the moment and 2 large dogs. We also have a small pop-up tent trailer to tow that I've been thinking of lifting and prepping for a bit rougher trails but we still like to pack a tent if we are going way back in rough terrain.. Originally I started thinking Toyota Sequoia as the 4runner is too small and I can't afford to import an 80 series landcruiser plus it's likely too small also. After looking at prices of these compared to the mileage I decided to consider the GM offerings as they are cheaper and parts are plentiful. Although the Tahoe/Yukon will obviously be better off road strictly for the smaller size and has a better chance of fitting in the garage where we are moving soon, the rear seats would have to be permanently removed for space. The Suburban (or XL) might not fit in the garage but neither have any of my trucks. Considering the terrain I've forced my 1 ton crew cab trucks through I'm really not put off by the size of the suburban (garage aside) and I feel like I could fold up the 3rd row for day to day life and still have tons of room and the option to carry more people on odd occasion (though not likely ever) and pull it out for big trips to get more room.
I should probably do more research elsewhere but not being a GM guy I'm surprised at the comments preferring the older models with the 5.7 to the newer with the 5.3L. I have no need for a 6.0 although I do know they are as reliable as they are thirsty!

GmTech14

Observer
my votes for the burb!!! esp if you tow... the wheelbase makes it king.

even if you dont tow, I doubt that theres a realistic difference offroading with the two as they are both rather large. the extra room has come in handy many times for me.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Quite the grave-dig topic. But I currently own both a GMT800 Tahoe and Suburban. And previously a 99 / GMT400 Tahoe. 18 continuous years of Tahoe use and road trips. About 320k mi combined.
The Sub I bought used, 2yrs ago last Nov. And my '85 C-10 long bed since '86 and well over 300k mi on it. That standard cab long bed pickup has almost the exact same overall length, wheelbase and angles as the Sub. I've been all over the Western states on dirt trails with it, no problem. A Sub will go anywhere it will go. Anywhere a Forestry service vehicle will go. Anywhere but most technical jeep trails.

Both Tahoe and Sub are great for towing and hauling 6 people around. But if there's a lot of luggage you'll want / need the Sub. Tahoe's fine for a day or weekend road trip, say nothing more than a daypack per person. You start talking real camping gear or week+ of luggage, better go Suburban. Or get a roof coffin.

One other thing on the Tahoe/Yukon - the rear seat windows only roll down about 8". You want rear windows to go down all the way you have to get a Suburban, Avalanche or quad cab pickup.

whatfueleconomy_zpsfb21uuya.jpg

boss324

Observer
I never regretted purchasing my 03 2500 Suburban. I was in the same boat Tahoe or Burb . I chose the Burban for the space behind the third row. It hauls a bunch of people and gear mostly anywhere comfortablely. I have the 6.0l not a daily driver so no biggie for me. Believe it or not the Burban is pretty capable off road to boot.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just took a pic today that again illustrates just how much room is in the Suburban. ~100cu'+ behind the front seats. I fit a couple 4'x8' sheets of plywood back there with no hassle at all. The front end has to go on top of the folded 2nd row, but it works fine. Works even better WITH the 3rd row in and folded, as then the sheet product sits more level. Fits the same regardless.

suburbancargospace_zpsroqqu94r.jpg

Bojak

Adventurer
I've owned both in the gmt 400 series. Tahoe is just smaller in cargo, didn't drive smaller. So that being said I vote suburban and your not giving up anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz