Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

trump

Adventurist
Hopefully I can shed light on the discussion. I'm the Ben with Outback Proven.

This tank is made specifically for the US spec Tacoma and does not share any parts with the Hi-Lux. We shipped the Tacoma to Australia where it was used to develop the LRA tank (along with Kaymar rear bar, ARB Bull Bar, Piranha 4X4 battery tray and other bits such as the Power Shower, and dual battery system). It barely made it back in time for SEMA.

The Tacoma tanks are on a container leaving OZ soon. I have some pics of the prototype and a pic of one outside the Tacoma (it's actually an FJ Cruiser, but close enough).

Cheers,

I imagine that my plee for a first gen Tacoma tank will fall on deaf ears?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Part of me thought you had abandoned that plan and you were going to be showing off another IPOR masterpiece.

No, been busy at work, taking trips, KOH vehicle preparation (not me - friend in the EMC). To recap, I've got the wiring done to include switch and digital fuel gauge for the auxiliary fuel cell. The tank and transfer system aren't too hard since the cell rests between the frame rails and the fuel pump on a cross member; that will include burning in some additional cross-member support and brackets for a skid. The hard, time consuming part is the filler situation -- that will require some fitment and fabrication to get 2 fuel spouts in the current fuel door space. My goal is to use the existing main for daily operation and keep the aux partially filled to maintain a fresh fuel supply. Distant travel will see both tanks topped off.

Any thoughts you care to add are welcome.

trump

Adventurist
No, been busy at work, taking trips, KOH vehicle preparation (not me - friend in the EMC). To recap, I've got the wiring done to include switch and digital fuel gauge for the auxiliary fuel cell. The tank and transfer system aren't too hard since the cell rests between the frame rails and the fuel pump on a cross member; that will include burning in some additional cross-member support and brackets for a skid. The hard, time consuming part is the filler situation -- that will require some fitment and fabrication to get 2 fuel spouts in the current fuel door space. My goal is to use the existing main for daily operation and keep the aux partially filled to maintain a fresh fuel supply. Distant travel will see both tanks topped off.

Any thoughts you care to add are welcome.

I'll do some brainstorming and get in-touch with you.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Any pricing or other details available on this tank?

On the Outback Proven tank? Not that I'm aware of. To catch you up, Ben Meddows from OP has stated there is a shipment of these unicorn tanks due in from Australia that have been designed to fit in the second generation Tacoma. Several members are monitoring that and will report their findings. The above discussion is a custom fabrication and adaptation of an existing fuel cell project that is not for sale. When it's done though, there will be a thread detailing the project for others interested in the 1st gen Tacoma.

STAGE 2

Adventurer

This tank is made specifically for the US spec Tacoma and does not share any parts with the Hi-Lux. We shipped the Tacoma to Australia where it was used to develop the LRA tank (along with Kaymar rear bar, ARB Bull Bar, Piranha 4X4 battery tray and other bits such as the Power Shower, and dual battery system). It barely made it back in time for SEMA.

The Tacoma tanks are on a container leaving OZ soon. I have some pics of the prototype and a pic of one outside the Tacoma (it's actually an FJ Cruiser, but close enough).

Cheers,

View attachment 143974

Since this is an LRA tank is it safe to assume that all of the typical LRA features found on aussie tanks will be on this one? And whats the total capacity and usable capacity?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

Cheers,

View attachment 143974

Thanks for the details Ben -- that's great news. I think it's safe to assume that once the container arrives in CONUS that you place another order. Time will tell but I think demand will be big for this upgrade. Keep us posted!

P.S. Can you provide any details about the tank, e.g., capacity?

DblD

Adventurer
Subscribed for future updates. The 270 or so miles I’m getting out of a tank makes for way too may stops.

dd

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
The LRA Tacoma tank will have a capacity of 31 Gal. with about 30 usable. If you need pricing feel free to PM me.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Settle another question Ben. Is there a tank available for the first generation Tacoma? If not, is there interest in manufacturing one for that product line at LRA? Still plenty of affordable first gens on the road today in North America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles