Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
There is no specific application for the first gen. Tacoma, but it if shared a similar frame with e Hi-Lux we could try one.

This would involve a lot of pics and measuring, but doubt it would fit because of the Tacoma's charcoal filter that the Hi-Lux lacks.

PGA

I heard from them today. It is a 31 gal replacement tank. They said that it will cost $1,300 and change.

xpdishn

Adventurer
Hopefully I can shed light on the discussion. I'm the Ben with Outback Proven.

This tank is made specifically for the US spec Tacoma and does not share any parts with the Hi-Lux. We shipped the Tacoma to Australia where it was used to develop the LRA tank (along with Kaymar rear bar, ARB Bull Bar, Piranha 4X4 battery tray and other bits such as the Power Shower, and dual battery system). It barely made it back in time for SEMA.

The Tacoma tanks are on a container leaving OZ soon. I have some pics of the prototype and a pic of one outside the Tacoma (it's actually an FJ Cruiser, but close enough).

Cheers,

View attachment 143974

Is this actually true: "(it's actually an FJ Cruiser..."? Are you saying these will also fit an FJC? A 2007 FJC? And replaces the main tank? Say yes to all and make my day.

Thanks,

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Actually LRA has a separate fitment for the FJ Cruiser, however it's not compliant for the FJ Cruiser yet since it needs to be modified for the charcoal filter. There is an LRA FJ Cruiser Aux tank in the works and on this container. I will fit it and see how it works on my 2007 before it goes on sale.

targa88

Explorer
Actually LRA has a separate fitment for the FJ Cruiser, however it's not compliant for the FJ Cruiser yet since it needs to be modified for the charcoal filter. There is an LRA FJ Cruiser Aux tank in the works and on this container. I will fit it and see how it works on my 2007 before it goes on sale.

IF it works for a 2007 = that would make for some serious overlanding range...

xpdishn

Adventurer

To clarify, is this LRA a replacement of the main tank? I already have an aux tank to the rear of the axle, below the charcoal filter.

And does anyone, at least in the US, Canada, Alaska, really need 54 gallons of fuel on board?

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Yes, Gary, The Tacoma tank is a main replacement. In OZ main replacements are common on smaller light vehicles to keep the weight in the center of the vehicle. The FJ will have a main replacement and an Aux. for a total of over 60 gal. of fuel.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
Yes, Gary, The Tacoma tank is a main replacement. In OZ main replacements are common on smaller light vehicles to keep the weight in the center of the vehicle. The FJ will have a main replacement and an Aux. for a total of over 60 gal. of fuel.

Subscribed.

mirfjc

clearance on the axle side?

This looks great.

I had a question about the clearance on the axle side of the tank (the back), where the current stock tank ends up fowling with the rear upper control arm and limits potential down travel. Does this new tank make this clearance better or worse:

file_zpsb7be6181.jpg

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
Hopefully I can shed light on the discussion. I'm the Ben with Outback Proven.

This tank is made specifically for the US spec Tacoma and does not share any parts with the Hi-Lux. We shipped the Tacoma to Australia where it was used to develop the LRA tank (along with Kaymar rear bar, ARB Bull Bar, Piranha 4X4 battery tray and other bits such as the Power Shower, and dual battery system). It barely made it back in time for SEMA.

The Tacoma tanks are on a container leaving OZ soon. I have some pics of the prototype and a pic of one outside the Tacoma (it's actually an FJ Cruiser, but close enough).

Cheers,

View attachment 143974

Not to hi-jack but I would really love to see that Kaymar rear bumper.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Hope they make a model for the Gen-1... No one else makes a fully replacable factory tank..(not custom made one offs).
Can't wait for the details to show up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online