Thread: Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by FlyNdrive View Post
    Hi Skygear, I actually still need pics. (The inbox was full)

Cheers,

-Ben
    Thanks Skygear. Let me check with LRA and see if thats what they needed.

Cheers,

-Ben
    They have my details. If you guys need. Get in touch through the other channels.
                       .                   Built here by us.

Thanks Mate! The pics worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by skygear View Post
    They have my details. If you guys need. Get in touch through the other channels.
    Check out the FJ Bruisers, FJ Cruiser Club, in the DC area www.fjbruisers.org

www.maxtrax.com.au

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...its already tomorrow in Australia"

-Charles Schultz

Thanks Mate! The pics worked a treat.
    Glad I was able to help
                       .                   Built here by us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibblit View Post
    1 Bored Clerk do you have any pictures of the tank fitment with a long box? Specifically the modifications you had to do in order to make the tank work.

I am about ready to order one of theses tanks to Canada, just looking into the import side of things as we can self broker international shipments here.
    Actually, I just pulled my bed for a UTE tray swap so I'll see if I can get any photos that make any sense for you...unless it's too late and you already have one in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Toyota Tacoma AC TRD-OR
    1965 Stevens M416B1
    2015 Triumph Street Triple R

Default Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

Working on a theory to stop the overfill issue on this tank.
    There are two vent tubes that come out of the tank: one goes to the charcoal filler and one goes up to the fill neck. The small one that goes to the fill neck is there to shut off the pump. Inside the tank, where that 1/4Ē line goes in, there is a tube that drops a certain distance into the tank. Once the fuel level reaches that tube, it cuts off the airflow and thatís what shuts the pump off. Based on the short length of the vent tube and the shape of the tank in that area, the vent tube doesnít get shut off until the fuel tank is darn near completely full. By that time, the pump has already pushed out enough fuel to more than fill the full neck. So, my guess is that the fuel vent tube that drops into the tank needs to be longer. Iím beginning to test this by making a new vent tube thatís much much longer than the 3Ē (or so) long one the tank came with. Iím hoping I see that with my super long vent tube, the fuel cuts off reliably early. Then Iíll trim it down until it cuts off reliably at the right time: when the tank is full but not overflowing. Itíll be a long process because dropping the fuel in the tank enough to test will take a little while each time. Iíll be sure to update this though.

Hereís where Iím starting:

I made a slightly longer vent tube and put it in. Didnít make any noticeable difference. But the tank is usable so I took the vent that came with the tank and cut the extension tube off of the fitting, drilled it out, and used JB Weld to glue in another long piece of brass tubing that I could source locally.

Here it is all glued up and ready for install. This experimentation would be a nightmare with the factory bed in place. But since Iíve put on a flatbed, access to all of the tank fill and vent fittings is unbelievably easy. Hopefully, Iíll find the right length to reliably fill the tank and not overfill. Then, Iíll give you the dimensions and you can make your own vent tube and install it once. Itíll be painful but it would only be painful once.

This could all lead to nothing but Iím keeping high hopes until it proves otherwise. Iím SO tired of not being able to just fill the damn tank like a factory tank. I still have my factory tank, as a matter of fact, in case I just canít deal with the overfill anymore. The whole point of this tank was not to have to deal with Jerry Cans and the leaking and gas on your hands that come with them!

Last edited by 1 Bored Clerk; 12-28-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    1965 Stevens M416B1

how much does yours overflow? mine went from a lot to just a quick mist burst after fixing the charcoal vent line.

Default Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

Quite a lot. My charcoal vent line is a nice big loop. It didnít overfill on the very first fill when I installed it but it has overfilled on every subsequent fill. How did you route your charcoal vent line?

1965 Stevens M416B1

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk View Post
    Quite a lot. My charcoal vent line is a nice big loop. It didn’t overfill on the very first fill when I installed it but it has overfilled on every subsequent fill. How did you route your charcoal vent line?

i did a few things on mine, but what seemed to fix it was just making sure that huge vent line didnt have any kinks in it. needs to be a smooth bend, i was only able to do that with the bed off. Now, i did also weld in an extra top bung that i hooked up a hose to thats currently blocked off if that other breather didnt fix the issue. I was going to have a second breather vent just incase, but havent needed it yet.

No kinks in mine. Itís a giant smooth loop up under my flatbed (and up around the full neck when I had a factory bed). Iím going to put my long vent tube in today and fill up to see if it clicks the pump off early and reliably.

1965 Stevens M416B1

The new, longer vent tube in the tank reduced the overfilling a lot! Iím relocating my filler neck sot hats itís easier to fill with my flatbed. That bit of extra length in the full neck may be enough to end my fuel filling woes. Or I can make an even longer vent tube. Itís almost at its maximum length to be able to get it into the tank under the flatbed. I wonít make any more changes until I move my full neck. Iím excited to see positive changes though.

1965 Stevens M416B1

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast