Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Quite a lot. My charcoal vent line is a nice big loop. It didn’t overfill on the very first fill when I installed it but it has overfilled on every subsequent fill. How did you route your charcoal vent line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paranoid56

Adventurer
Quite a lot. My charcoal vent line is a nice big loop. It didn't overfill on the very first fill when I installed it but it has overfilled on every subsequent fill. How did you route your charcoal vent line?

i did a few things on mine, but what seemed to fix it was just making sure that huge vent line didnt have any kinks in it. needs to be a smooth bend, i was only able to do that with the bed off. Now, i did also weld in an extra top bung that i hooked up a hose to thats currently blocked off if that other breather didnt fix the issue. I was going to have a second breather vent just incase, but havent needed it yet.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
No kinks in mine. It’s a giant smooth loop up under my flatbed (and up around the full neck when I had a factory bed). I’m going to put my long vent tube in today and fill up to see if it clicks the pump off early and reliably.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
The new, longer vent tube in the tank reduced the overfilling a lot! I’m relocating my filler neck sot hats it’s easier to fill with my flatbed. That bit of extra length in the full neck may be enough to end my fuel filling woes. Or I can make an even longer vent tube. It’s almost at its maximum length to be able to get it into the tank under the flatbed. I won’t make any more changes until I move my full neck. I’m excited to see positive changes though.

paranoid56

Adventurer
thats good, but i think that would also reduce your capacity (at least whats what the tank makers said when i was chatting with them) as that part is what causes the filler to stop. any pics/

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
thats good, but i think that would also reduce your capacity (at least whats what the tank makers said when i was chatting with them) as that part is what causes the filler to stop. any pics/

That’s exactly the point. The part my tank came with is way too short to stop the pump before it overfills. By making it longer, it shuts the pump off earlier...which stops overfilling. The key is to make it just the right length to fill all the way up but not overfill. That’s what I’m doing. I’m tuning it in to fill well on these high flow pumps every station seems to have.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Relocated the fuel filler today. With my flatbed, it was in a terrible location.

04b8fec16364c000c62177bd58ff3adf.jpg

85599665ed9935890f87e8c5c6dd5c3f.jpg

The two benefits of this are: 1. I can leave the pump in the fill neck like a normal car without having to hold it in the whole time. That sucks when putting in 30+ gallons! 2. The extra several inches of fill tube length along with my lengthened internal vent tube has almost eliminated my overfill problem! The longer internal vent tube reduced the amount of overfill A TON. But the added filler neck length just about finished it off. I’m going to see if I can fit in a longer internal vent tube to get this problem solved for good. When I filled up today, it spit the tiniest amount of fuel. I was SO HAPPY! It’s almost like having the stock tank again. I think I can get there with a bit more length on the internal vent tube. I may have to lift the bed up to get the tube in there then drop it back down but that’s not too hard to do.

Chiefcrunchy

Hey just playing catch up on here.
Just ordered 1 of these tanks, should arrive June 1. Very excited to get more than 230 miles on a tank.

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Greetings from the North American distributor for Long Range Automotive.

We are successors to the hard work done by Benjamin Meadows at Outback Proven. We stock popular LRA kits in California and order for other applications and out of stock items.

New kits have been developed for Land Cruiser 200s, Lexus GX 470 and others on the way.

If you have a LRA tank, let us know WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN or your purchase and vehicle and we will send you a LRA cap to say thank you.

We are interested in your experience - installation, functionality and on the road. We are especially interested in how your Tacoma tanks function in filling, venting, etc.

Cruiser Brothers is owned by Georg Esterer and me, Ward Harris. We provide technical support as well as sales and maintain close working relationships with our partners in Lilydale, Victoria.

My desk phone is 209-636-0831 and email works better than PMs - info@cruiserbrothers.com

Thanks!

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I had been having terrible back flow issues with my tank since I bought it. LRA designed a new back flow valve. Ward was awesome enough to get ones in my hands ASAP. I got it installed this morning and went for my first fillup. I put the pump on full blast and just stood back. Filled all the way up and clicked off without a single drop of gas on the ground or even a gurgle in the fill tube. It filled just like a modern vehicle should! I had been so frustrated with this tank for so long...having the first fill be perfect is so encouraging. Thanks!

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
I had been having terrible back flow issues with my tank since I bought it. LRA designed a new back flow valve. Ward was awesome enough to get ones in my hands ASAP. I got it installed this morning and went for my first fillup. I put the pump on full blast and just stood back. Filled all the way up and clicked off without a single drop of gas on the ground or even a gurgle in the fill tube. It filled just like a modern vehicle should! I had been so frustrated with this tank for so long...having the first fill be perfect is so encouraging. Thanks!
Georg and I (Ward) spent a year looking at a relationship with LRA. We knew the products from Land Cruiser installs and the firm had a good reputation. After a few conversations, a trip to Australia and some research, we went ahead with the partnership - largely because of the people and their reputation for good products and good business. We did not know about the Taco fill issues until we had sold a few and then realized we needed to help address the issue, to help LRA understand and they come up with a solution.

Glad to know it worked. We now have updated the production tanks and have "fix kits" for the older models. Please call me directly with any questions - if you would like to fit your tank with the new Inlet Control Valve (ICV) we are here to sell tanks, of course, but the gear has to work. Depending on your truck, the "fix" takes about an hour to install plus removing the bed (or dropping the tank).

The "new" Tacoma tanks are rated at approximately 33 gallons and are available for sale, in stock in California. You can see our website at https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/brands/long-range-automotive/#product-listing although the Tacoma tank fact sheet is dated and needs an update. In addition to capacity, the kit fits 2005-2018 DCSB. We have a new tank in development for early 2019 to accommodate DCLB and Access Cab models. Same list price of $1,595.

Thank you for your patience and Merry Christmas.

Ward Harris
Cruiser Brothers
209-636-0831
ward@cruiserbrothers.com

Last edited:

Runt

Adventurer
This is good news! The fill issue was holding me back on even considering it. How much weight over stock tank are we looking at for the DCSB model?

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
This is good news! The fill issue was holding me back on even considering it. How much weight over stock tank are we looking at for the DCSB model?
Not certain, but I believe OE tank is around 30 lbs. (21 gallon capacity) LRA kit for DCSB is 99 lbs. (33 gallon capacity)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles