Pioneer Tool Trailer M101A1 Frame Build

xlobsterboyx

Observer
Hey everyone, I have been following the site now for a few months and seem to be making progress on the trailer, so I decided I would finally post. I picked up a Pioneer Tool Trailer a few months ago with the intent on building it out with a kitchen/storage on one side and sleeping quarters on the other. Here are the pictures from when I picked it up ($600).
3G43L63Fd5Ka5J85R3cbicbbc0dd419691ea1.jpg3Id3N83H75Gb5Q55M7cbi5fc675e97e671e80.jpg

I have since removed all the interior tool mounts and the only remaining interior parts are the storage boxes (rear top) and storage rack (front). The fenders, rear doors and gullwing doors have been removed and sent to the sandblast/powdercoater. I just removed all the bolts holding the body to the frame this weekend and will try to get the body into the powdercoat shop this week (it is heavy).

2013-02-03_16-15-44_802.jpg
2013-02-03_16-16-53_346.jpg

I got some great storage solutions from overstock.com surprisingly. They are all aluminum and will serve as the kitchen storage when mounted to the center divider. I also bought a smaller aluminum storage rack that I will mount to the interior of the rear door. When I picked it up the rear handle and center lock were busted so I ordered a beefier set from Mill Supply Inc, should work out great.

2013-02-03_16-16-14_122.jpg2013-02-03_16-15-59_609.jpg2013-02-03_16-17-31_192.jpg2013-02-03_16-17-16_97.jpg

I am still trying to figure out how I will create counter space. I think I will build out some aluminum shelves that align with the fender and mount (removable) like a 1950's drive-in dinner tray but beefier (thoughts?). I have a Magma Marine grill that I want to mount somewhere, might put it on the removable counter. I also want to get a propane stove top which might go on the same mount.
drive in.jpg

As for water, I have seen some great poly tanks on the internet that I can mount underneath, but whats wrong with mounting a 5 gallon Gatorade jug like I see on so many work trucks?? I think I just need someone to talk me out of that one.

I want to do electric brakes on the axle and it still has the stock M101A1 3/4 ton axle and parking brakes right now. I was wondering if I could do a hub conversion to 5x4.5 with electric brakes or if i will have to swap axles.

Eventually I would like to mount a battery with lights and propane tank, but that is far ahead.

dusmmdb

I have the same trailer, well with the top removed. I'm looking at changing the axle to one with a 5x5 lug pattern to match my jeep.....

curious to see what you do

xlobsterboyx

Observer
I have the same trailer, well with the top removed. I'm looking at changing the axle to one with a 5x5 lug pattern to match my jeep.....

curious to see what you do

Do you have an idea of the axle size (length). I have seen a few by Dexter but haven't crawled under and measured yet to see what exactly I need. Thinking straight axle but dont want to move the leaf springs. I am going to match it up with my TJ's 5x4.5's

Also, does anyone have a source for the waterproof/vinyl material that waterproofs the hinges on the gullwings? I saved the old stuff but it is pretty ragged. Was thinking of firehose or rubber, but didnt know if there was something thinner out there.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Steel Soldiers has a trailer forum and some builds on these trailers. Tractor Supply has conveyor belting that is supposed to work great for the clam shell hinges.

dusmmdb

I am thinking I will just measure and get one of the drop in 3500lb axles from ABC trailerparts. My only concern is the brackets for the springs......... not sure how to deal with that. I already have extra rims to match my JK so for me it is simply a matter of picking the correct axle. I'll measure tonight

xlobsterboyx

Observer
I am thinking I will just measure and get one of the drop in 3500lb axles from ABC trailerparts. My only concern is the brackets for the springs......... not sure how to deal with that. I already have extra rims to match my JK so for me it is simply a matter of picking the correct axle. I'll measure tonight

any update on the measurments?

Pikeman

Adventurer
I have an M101A2 trailer that I ordered an axle I had them put the spring perches at 43.25" and a hub face to hub face of 64". I believe that the M101A1/2 and the Pioneer trailers use the same base trailer frame M116 and then the box that is put on top changes the overall designation of the trailer. If you read a lot of the other M101A1/2 builds you will find the axle sizes that I used. I hope this helps in the measurement department.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Also, does anyone have a source for the waterproof/vinyl material that waterproofs the hinges on the gullwings? I saved the old stuff but it is pretty ragged. Was thinking of firehose or rubber, but didnt know if there was something thinner out there.

Pure rubber strips will not hold up. You need a fabric reinforced rubber conveyor belting. Try McMaster Carr

Regards

Jim

xlobsterboyx

Observer
Thanks, I went to Tractor Supply and they had some great reinforced rubber.

Also, just picked up the tires to match my Jeep tonight.... Super Swamper 37x14xr16. Will get some pictures in when I get them mounted.

xlobsterboyx

Observer
Update

Alright, so the body has been taken off the frame and is sitting on a trailer in the backyard waiting to go to powder coat. I am working on the frame now.
2013-02-17_13-45-36_175.jpg

I am having to grind every bolt head off. Due to serious seizure on the nuts... 2013-02-17_13-45-53_858.jpg

Anyone have any insight on good alternatives/sources for the wood shims that are between the body and the frame?
2013-02-17_13-46-08_490.jpg

Also, I am going to be selling the turn signals, axle, brakes and tires if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz