Page 1 of 254 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: VERMONT OVERLAND TROPHY

Default VERMONT OVERLAND TROPHY

Peter Vollers
    www.vermontoverland.com

"I'm not saying I'm in post-VOT withdrawal, but I'm sitting in my driveway on a camp chair with a clipboard judging my neighbor cutting his grass on his rider mower." Steve Ostrovitz

Sounds really cool except for a couple of things...

-Don't make people buy either an Iphone or Ipad if they can find a way to work with the maps you mentioned. I have a ton of time & effort into my Acer netbook nav setup and it works very very well. So making me spend $500 to join you and then more money to get an Iphone or Ipad just for this event is no bueno.

-Allowing no driver switches over the course of the day is asking for fatigue related accidents and you are opening up a can of worms. You are talking about 4 long days of 12-16hrs of driving/physical challenge and yet you are saying that "too bad if you are tired and might crash, just push through". To me it makes more sense to let the Team work out driver changes as needed just like the Camel Trophy did. That way if someone scrapes a knee, gets a cramp or just is too tired to be safe, then switch.

Otherwise it sounds like a great event and if it wasn't all the away across the USA I would be all over going out to play. Reminds me of the old Expo Trophy from around here.
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

Man, this sounds awesome! If I hadn't already planned a 2-week trip out to Colorado, Arizona and Utah in July I'd be all over this.
    www.dirtroadtrip.com
    Scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time, taking our Toyota trucks well off the beaten path one day and driving them to work the next!

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail
    Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
    Sounds really cool except for a couple of things...

-Don't make people buy either an Iphone or Ipad if they can find a way to work with the maps you mentioned. I have a ton of time & effort into my Acer netbook nav setup and it works very very well. So making me spend $500 to join you and then more money to get an Iphone or Ipad just for this event is no bueno.

-Allowing no driver switches over the course of the day is asking for fatigue related accidents and you are opening up a can of worms. You are talking about 4 long days of 12-16hrs of driving/physical challenge and yet you are saying that "too bad if you are tired and might crash, just push through". To me it makes more sense to let the Team work out driver changes as needed just like the Camel Trophy did. That way if someone scrapes a knee, gets a cramp or just is too tired to be safe, then switch.

Otherwise it sounds like a great event and if it wasn't all the away across the USA I would be all over going out to play. Reminds me of the old Expo Trophy from around here.
    Great input, Lance. The problem with the apps is I believe that at least PDF Maps only functions on iOS products, but, since I'm not sure, I've changed the event description to allow for other devices as long as the apps are functioning. And, yes, I know there are those who think that maps and compasses should be allowed for nav aids. The problem is in the nature of VT unmaintained public roads (Class 4 roads and legal trails). Most of these roads were laid out in the late 1700's or early 1800's and were thoroughfares at that time. As such, they literally thread right through and between private residential properties, villages, farms and multi-million dollar estates. In fact, that's their main appeal. Overlanding in VT brings you up and close and personal with not just the backcountry, but also the frontcountry. I live in "downtown" Woodstock and I have a Class 4 road running right through my backyard! This makes locating these roads a challenge as, many times, these roads look just like private driveways and, sometimes, they even coincide with driveways. It's not like we have huge trailheads with big BLM vehicle usage signs. It's all on the user, which means it's all on me to make sure you guys don't get hopelessly lost and find yourselves trespassing. The best way I can do that is to make sure you at least have the best nav aids possible.

As for the drivers, that makes perfect sense. This is a competition to finish, not to win, so why not have passengers be able to swap out the driving.

Thanks again for the great input!
    Peter Vollers
    www.vermontoverland.com

"I'm not saying I'm in post-VOT withdrawal, but I'm sitting in my driveway on a camp chair with a clipboard judging my neighbor cutting his grass on his rider mower." Steve Ostrovitz

Epic... I may be in for this.

Sounds like an amazing event. Any trail ratings so one can judge the type of vehicle required?

Zach, RN should definitely put a team together! Bullethead, just scroll down to Terrain and Trail Difficulty and Vehicle Requirements section on the website: http://www.vermontoverland.com/vot/. Thx!
    Peter Vollers
    www.vermontoverland.com

Yorktown Heights, New York, United States
    This looks to be an EPIC adventure and I'm already coordinating to assemble a crew . Our team will most likely consist of the black and white TJ's that you may have spotted at the last Northeast Overland Rally:

26665_10151153455463349_783006040_n.jpg

Got it, I see it now, thx.

Peter: If Im only able to arrange for 1 vehicle, is there a way to pair up with someone else who is on the same boat as me?
    Last edited by BulletHead; 02-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Looks great!

Page 1 of 254 1231151101 ... LastLast