Sprinter Van planning stage

Clutch

<---Pass
http://www.outsidevan.com/

My Ford dealer friend who works at Jim Click, said the Ford Transits are going to be cheaper than the Sprinters...told her it doesn't really do us any good since
they aren't here yet.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
That website has some great info even though I am planning on doing the conversion/building myself...

I am interested to see what the transits are like...my buddy is holding out for one of them because he wants domestic:confused:

I would rather stick with a model that has been out for a few years than jump in head first the initial model year

I am making a short list of options right now...Ones I have to have...ones I would like but can do without...and ones that are a bonus if they are there...

I am leaning toward the crew configuration right now for a couple reasons...

1. some glass in the back...Mikes suggestion seems to be repeated in the sprinter forums...cargo only equals big black hole
2. rear seat for friends...just in case:)
3. many also seem to come with the rear ac...not the heavy duty roof mounted but just upgraded

The dealer who I am working with currently is willing to search nationwide for a van and will still match fleet pricing for PHX...

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
That website has some great info even though I am planning on doing the conversion/building myself...

I am interested to see what the transits are like...my buddy is holding out for one of them because he wants domestic:confused:

I would rather stick with a model that has been out for a few years than jump in head first the initial model year

Yeah , Outside Van has a ton of great simple ideas...kinda blows Sportsmobile out of the water.

Interested the Transit too...don't want to be a Beta Tester though....Transit Domestic? Ha Funny....will be built here though along side the F150.

I also have a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 that has been my reliable DD/camping truck for over 7yrs. I am a ground tent and rubbermaid box type of guy...everything gets thrown in the bed of the truck (with camper shell) and I go...but with my GF, bikes, fishing gear, fuel, wood, etc...things get tight...I usually have a canoe on the roof for fishing purposes so I cant' run a fancy roof rack...

View attachment 143209

Add a moto on the back and I am on the bump stops...even with Dakar springs in the back...probably well over my payload

Just like me 10 lbs. of crap in a 5 lbs. bag...at least I have a trailer. neener neener.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear that you sold your Sprinter btw. I think the inside layout was brilliant.
Thanks for the kind words. I had seven great years with it.

Thanks, too, for finding the information about Custom Spooling. Entrepreneurism abhors a vacuum, don't it?

The NCV3s are inarguably the more sophisticated trucks and some (like a 2012 silver passenger unit I saw for sale last week) are downright elegant looking. But I always felt good about having a white T1N when it can time to act like you belonged on a trail. There are good NCV3 overland rigs around, but they seem almost too handsome, if you know what I mean. (That's a totally subjective opinion, though; others think otherwise.)

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Flagster,

If you are considering new, I would highly recommend calling Dave aka "The Sprinter Guy." You can google him...he's based in Austin TX and has the best pricing on new custom order Sprinters(I have no affiliation with him, other than researching Sprinters for over a year). Also, as Mike mentioned, the newer NCV3 vans are highly complex and often have problems, even new. My brand new 2012 144" Van had EGR problems that showed up when the van was practically new. Mike also mentioned ordering certain options...I would second this. Things like factory tinted windows, the hitch, Xenon lights, factory swivel seats(yes, you CAN order this from the factory) etc will be cheaper to order now than add later.

If I were you, I'd look for a low mileage 2005 or 2006 Passenger van. You get the nice 5 cylinder TD that will run for a half million miles. Should be able to find one for $20k or so depending on condition. Check out Sprinter Source for all things Sprinter...

f.

Clutch

<---Pass
1. some glass in the back...Mikes suggestion seems to be repeated in the sprinter forums...cargo only equals big black hole

That is what your side mirrors are for. (and now cameras)

We had box vans, and dump trucks...I did ok in them...those UPS/FedEx drives seem to do well in traffic too.

However ;)...natural light while camping is sure is nice. As Mike said, make inserts, or curtains...or even use some perforated window wrap to keep
the prying eyes and sticky fingers away. If we ever get a van, I even thought of slapping some fake logos on to keep people away...like "Sally's Natural Cloth Diaper Service" or something unappealing.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
A windowless 'stealth camper' Sprinter does not have to be dark and gloomy, as this self build shows.

Also, check out the bed hoist system!

Sprinter window flares, from Flare Space, here, enable side sleeping.

Sprinter-RV, here, may be worth a visit too.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
A windowless 'stealth camper' Sprinter does not have to be dark and gloomy, as this self build shows.

Also, check out the bed hoist system!

Sprinter window flares, from Flare Space, here, enable side sleeping.

Sprinter-RV, here, may be worth a visit too.

WOW! That is nice...looks like a Scandinavian studio apartment on the inside. I would so kill that interior pretty quick. LOL...I would need it completely Rhino-lined so I could hose it out.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
A very "stealthy" camper - I really like the concept.

4c3fa3556a1520f8485dc6aee9894ab5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles