Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Tie Out?

Mack4

Adventurer
Does anyone make a HD Retractable Dog Tie Out?

Something between a chitsy dog walking leash like this one My dogs break/chew these off in record time.

And a fall protection deal like this one that doesn't cost $300.00.

I found this one which is stake based and seems to be out of production. I would prefer something I could snap onto my truck with a carabiner.

Please no one post a link to a rope :sombrero: I have used ropes and clothes lines and my dogs always end up tangling the slack around themselves, sticks or me. I am hoping if the line keeps constant tension they will be less likely to tangle.

Anybody found a product like this in their travels?

-Mack

matt s

Explorer
Ok you said no cloths lines but I used the cloths line through the handle of a retractable leash. Leash slides up and down the line and the retractable part keeps the slack in check. Get a burly leash if your dog needs it.

They still wrap themselves around things. Usually me.

Thinking about the chewing part. Use a few feet of cable with clip ends between the collar and a heavy duty retractable leash. Not long enough to drag but long enough to keep the teeth at bay.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
do or have you ever used and under ground fence? if you have and you dog responds well to it. they make a wireless system that used a transmitter and the dug wears a receiver giving a certain circular perimeter of which he can travel.

tibfibber

Observer
hmm. My dogs are >30lbs, and the days of being overrun with 2 dogs and 5 puppies are thankfully over; but I do travel with two of them and they are with me most of the time. Accommodations for the dogs are designed in as much as possible (the current Tiger/camper build-out includes a couple of dog specific design details) and tie-outs are one of them. I'm a little wary of retractable leashes, and think they might introduce more complications & problems then they solve. Walking multiple dogs on retractables is a complete disaster! Single dog on a tie-out might be easier.

I did turn up this: http://www.doubledowndogrun.com/ - which looks promising, but I haven't looked into it, besides seeing in on a google search. Outfit looks pretty homegrown, but interesting, and the more I look at it, I may have to get one.

8cc58d82fe0dc7bc9e6c05468d7f8325.png

On a somewhat related note, one of the most useful things I did was build a couple of configurable leashes out of 9mm static climbing rope. This, after replacing chewed out leashes every few weeks the static line hasn't been chewed at all. The primary ones are 6' with snap-clips on both ends. I made up some handles to clip several of the double-ended leashes to, and if I need to wrap a leash around a lamppost, snap to a chainlink fence, or set up a temporary run it's super easy. I initially used some nicopress swages, but ended up seizing the rope with safety-wire, and sealing it with double-walled adhesive shrink-wrap. Been holding up fine.

Here are my dogs. The one on the right was a Delta Mississippi gas station rescue from a roadtrip a few years back, the other is one of her pups...

p1360125134-2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles