'Long Way Down's' Nissan Patrols

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Fluffy and light but entertaining

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_drive.php?sid=1284&page=1

"David explained the diesel quality en route wasn’t always as good as it could have been. ‘We had horrible fuel that we picked up in some places. They were pouring it out of little garden buckets and pouring it back through a tea strainer, so we needed a new fuel filter occasionally. But the cars were amazing, and bar a few modifications you can drive one of these out of the showroom.'"

ckkone

Explorer
I like this picture...Toyota to the rescue!

LongWayDown_8_560.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
Super entertaining story. I want more, thanks to the little pieces of humor here and there:

The vehicle upgrades were mainly to cope with the demanding terrain once Russ and David crossed into Africa . . . The last feature was a wooden Tokoloshe voodoo doll, strapped to the front bumper of one car to ward off evil spirits!

Must consider a voodoo doll now.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
The pic of them driving over a bridge and the pic of them on the beach were taken about a mile from my house. :)
The beach shot is a few hundred yards from my local surf spot.

canucksafari

Adventurer
Great story. If both had roof tents, then it must have been a pain to pull all the stuff off the top to set-up the tents every night. You'd think a good 4x4 expedition trailer would have been utilized to save them that grief.

I’m not sure it was fun. You get to the end and think thank God we made a film so we can look back and really appreciate what we did, because at the time it’s tough to do that.'

This is such a true statement, and it hit me really really hard in the gut.

From Afghanistan to Arkansas, I'm so glad I've taken pictures of everywhere I go, when I get back it's a great feeling to know I've survived.

Then later I can look at them in privacy and remember all the fun, terror, bonding, and appreciate you're able to do something not many are fortunate (<-subjective) enough to experience.

:arabia:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
ckkone said:
I like this picture...Toyota to the rescue!

LongWayDown_8_560.jpg
Pretty common sight down under... THose Patrols are neat trucks, but they're nowhere near as robust as the all-holy 70 series Cruiser.

Neat read, and the comment about taking pics/vids and enjoying it later is so true and very well put. We made a vid of one of our gnarlier rafting trips where we encountered ALOT of troubles. At the time all we could thing is will we make it back with everyone intact. Oddly enough when you watch the vid afterwards we were still having a pretty damn good time, I guess we just thought we were being really serious...

NeilWilson

Observer
Long Way Down or Long Whinge Down ?

They seemed to spend most of the early episodes moaning about things and belting through countries to meet their deadlines. Still good though, I just wish they looked like they were enjoying it :)

Neil

canucksafari

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
Pretty common sight down under... THose Patrols are neat trucks, but they're nowhere near as robust as the all-holy 70 series Cruiser.

Actually, I would argue that they are more robust - not just because I own one. :wings:

I am a member of the Coastal Cruisers here and it was some of the members first pointed this out to me. The Patrol's great downfall is the 3.0 L engine which is also becoming known as the "grenade" in Australia. Although there are a few simple fixes to minimize blowing the engine. With the TD4.2T and with a standard tranny (the sought after trim in Australia), the GU Patrol is one of the strongest 4Bs. Regretabley, this is supposed to be the last year for the mighty TD4.2. The drive train (difs, axles, CVs) are much stronger than anything offered by toyota. I would think the only reason they did not have the TD4.2T is because it is not an option on the European GUs.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
4Rescue said:
Pretty common sight down under... THose Patrols are neat trucks, but they're nowhere near as robust as the all-holy 70 series Cruiser....

I recall you saying before you'd been to Australia.

But every story I read in Australian 4WD Monthly about the Patrols show them to be equally as capable, albeit maybe not as popular, as the 70 series. And in the travel stories they publish there seems to be a ton of aftermarket support for Patrols and they're favored by many tour outfitters.

I think it's a matter of preference, over a matter of quality.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
well, I can tell you from my experiences that the Nissan guys were always haveing tranny problems, and cooling issue regularly... My HJ75 Ute never once even hiccuped... The motors in the Patrols felt plenty strong, but the fit and finish is Jeep like coming from a Toyota, and there seem to be nagging issues on the numerous patrols I wheeled with/met the drivers of. Simple fact, the 70 series has a far better reputation. I think the Nissans Diesel is a more "hot-rodable" motor, but it's still a wagon or SWB rig only. I never saw any Patrol Utes that I can remember, and the purpose built(and factory at that) LC70utes are built that way because they're the aussie version of our full sized work trucks...

Not to say you can't build the Nissans plenty stout, but I think out of the box the Toy wins hands down. Factory locking diffs and a full floating rear axle anyone???

shortymav

Observer
Nissan transfercase and gearbox in a 4.2 weigh clse on 500kg, the axles are the biggest and toughest in austrlia, I own one, my mates own them look at our competitions 99% are nissan patrols because they are tough, for touring a toyota is a bit more refined and has a nicer motor. when **** hits the fan i would either have a 2h toyota diesel or a td42 nissan. the only overheating issues you will get with them is if the rad is full of mud. the 3l patrol or handgrenade sucks its the worst engine in a patrol so we will discount that.

the diffs in a patrol are comparable to a d60-d70 i believe with a 9.25", 10.25" and a massive 12" something diff available over the yearsd

patrols are available in utes and they are everywhere the reason there are more curisers than patrols is most mines by troppies in fleets otherwise its very close sales per year

canucksafari

Adventurer
The TD4.2 is one of the few motors which I have read that didn't blow when they have been run near dry. I have read a number of posts where this has happened and the owners have put on 100,000s of kms more before they sold or traded in for a newer GU. Most engines once overheated bad are on their last legs. Overheating like shortymav says is a rad full of mud, a bad thermostat or a dry fan clutch -just maintenance.

However, the NA TD4.2 won't win any speed races but it just might make it to 1.2 million kms if I treated with regular maintenance.

They are also built strong to take expedition mods. I have seen many a fine looking expedition modded patrol. Just have a look around patrol4x4.com if you don't beleive me.

Patrols are a true utilitarian's vehicle, which makes them 10,000s cheaper than their Toyota counterparts. They don't have the bling gadgets but what they do have will take you across the outback and back home.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
canucksafari said:
The TD4.2 is one of the few motors which I have read that didn't blow when they have been run near dry. I have read a number of posts where this has happened and the owners have put on 100,000s of kms more before they sold or traded in for a newer GU. Most engines once overheated bad are on their last legs. Overheating like shortymav says is a rad full of mud, a bad thermostat or a dry fan clutch -just maintenance.

However, the NA TD4.2 won't win any speed races but it just might make it to 1.2 million kms if I treated with regular maintenance.

They are also built strong to take expedition mods. I have seen many a fine looking expedition modded patrol. Just have a look around patrol4x4.com if you don't beleive me.

Patrols are a true utilitarian's vehicle, which makes them 10,000s cheaper than their Toyota counterparts. They don't have the bling gadgets but what they do have will take you across the outback and back home.
Yeah, I've heard of and seen the motors in action (remember, I've been to the holy land and wheeled with alot of these trucks we all dream of...) Like I said, the motor is a ripper, and I've never heard of the motor itself crapping out (quite the oposite). But the auxiliary bits and pieces had issues and the fit and finish is not as good (on a "nicer" model patrol compared to a "station" model 75-Ute)

The trucks I'm talking about tend to be completely stripped models with Vinyl interiors and very few ammenities what so ever. The Patrols tend to be big family wagons that are far blingier (not that there aren't stripper models, but again, there aren't any Patrol Cab chasis models that I saw so they tend to be more family/comfortable "foremans" trucks).

I like the Patrols, hell they're better than 99% of ALL of our stock 4x4's here in the States...

canucksafari

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
Yeah, I've heard of and seen the motors in action (remember, I've been to the holy land and wheeled with alot of these trucks we all dream of...) Like I said, the motor is a ripper, and I've never heard of the motor itself crapping out (quite the oposite). But the auxiliary bits and pieces had issues and the fit and finish is not as good (on a "nicer" model patrol compared to a "station" model 75-Ute)

Calling a 70 series Bling is just plain stupid. The trucks I'm talking about tend to be completely stripped models with Vinyl interiors and very few ammenities what so ever. The Patrols tend to be big family wagons that are far blingier (not that there aren't stripper models, but again, there aren't any Patrol Cab chasis models that I saw so they tend to be more family/comfortable "foremans" trucks).

I like the Patrols, hell they're better than 99% of ALL of our stock 4x4's here in the States...

Well, some of us don't have to dream about wheeling these vehicles - we do it every day. :hehe: In terms of Patrol bling it depends on what trim level you have. The deeper your pockets the more bling, but you won't need as deep pockets for a patrol as for any comparable Cruiser. BTW, it would be interesting to know what are the specific aux items that you think had prbs and what are the fit & finish items that you think were not as good as a 70 series?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94