Alaskan Camper Build Up

fisher205

Explorer
If you are in northern CO, you might check with Darrin At RUF www.ruf-inc.com/. He's in Douglas WY. We've discussed installing an Espar in my Dodge with an Alaskan.

Glad to see you went with the 12V frig option. I think you'll be happier with it. - Brad

theMec

Adventurer
Carlyle, Did you get your flatbed yet? I'm interested in going w/ a flatbed build also .. on a more modest scale.
One thing I'd like to know is what level the top of the flatbed sits compared to the wheel well which protrudes up inside the truck.
In my case, the wheel well is 12" above the tire but the wheel opening as viewed from the side of the truck is 10" above the tire. I think 10" of travel should be plenty (maybe 9" when loaded).
Also did you shop around much for the AL flatbed/tray. Looks like a lot of manufacturers out there - or does Ute have features the others don't. I'd guess the trundle drawer is one such advantage.
thanks.

Carlyle

Explorer
The flatbed finally arrived on Monday this week after traveling an extra 1000 miles and being thrown around by professional gorillas. Despite this there is just minor cosmetic damage that I will pursue for some reimbursement. I have not mounted the bed yet as I am waiting for the camper to be closer to being completed as I don't feel like driving my truck sans present camper and bed with an ultralight flatbed on Colorado roads in the winter... The bed is so light in fact that two of us picked it up easily and walked around with it.

Here is a shot from Ute as to the bed mounted to the frame of a Ford
channelview.jpg

Not too high off the wheel well as far as I can tell. BTW, the trundle drawer is not available for full size pickups unfortunately. if you are worried about not enough travel you make consider a set of air bags as they would help with this and are a great addition on a truck camper for leveling.

Next step is under bed boxes and propane tank.
MainImage_DTproAlumUnderbod.jpg

I am considering mounting these sideways behind the rear wheels for additional under deck storage.
MainImage_DTproAlumTrailTon.jpg

I went with the Ute after some research and had it down to Ute and Scott Lite. Ute ended up getting my cash in the end as they returned my emails and calls promptly and cut me a great deal to take off the hardware I did not need.

Carlyle

Explorer
The camper finish date may be postponed by a week or so as Chehalis, WA where the Alaskan factory is, is under a lot of water after the last winter storm. Luckily the factory is on top of a hill, but it slows down a lot of stuff for them when trying to build.

theMec

Adventurer
Thanks for the mounting picture and other info. It really helps.
Doesn't Ute sell underbody boxes for their full size bed?

pygmyowl

For very high quality boxes - especially good with aluminium fab (though expensive) Partner Steel here in my home town of Pocatello, ID would be worth looking into. They have made me lots of aluminium river boxes over the years, and also the guys who make Partner Stoves, etc

http://partnersteel.com/

haven

Expedition Leader
under flatbed boxes

Another source of is Highway Products. http://www.highwayproducts.com/ They are happy to build to your specifications.

I saw a very nice aluminum flatbed at the Highway Products exhibit at the SEMA show last November.

Chip Haven

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for the input and I will try the sources on Monday and see what is available. It would be nice to have a small box behind each rear wheel that would not interfere with steep slopes yet carry some heavy stuff low on the chassis. Perhaps a diamond shape or some other design.

Alaskan, at this point, is not really interested in going the diesel heat route as we are too close to crunch time. Also, I would like to be using it asap for work and play. Perhaps further down the road when I have more time to research it and do a conversion.

Carlyle

Explorer
I just talked to Alaskan Campers yesterday and we are now looking at mid January as a final date. Oh well, I didn't really want it for Xmas...

Carlyle

Explorer
Latest pictures sent today from the Alaskan factory:

DSC00144.jpg

Driver's side kitchen cabinets. Faucet will be changed to a pull out spigot that can be used for other applications, eg. washing hair in a pinch.

DSC00143.jpg

Overhead view of passenger side with compressor fridge built in with extra insulation. Also shows wood grain linoleum.

DSC00142.jpg

front view showing window hole to the cab of the truck. Alaskan has a source for side windows in slide double pane with screens, but not other sizes like the cab through and the overhead, any suggestions?

DSC00141.jpg

Bottom of camper showing 2" additional insulation under the floor. My Hallmark's floor is frigid cold in the winter. Same insulation is going under the bed in the cab over queen size bed.

DSC00139.jpg

Another view of the camper bottom, sans cabinets.

Things are coming along!

suntinez

Explorer
I've been following this build, nicely done! It's given me some great ideas for an interior build on my flippac. Thanks for the latest pictures, it is really coming together.

For windows you might try these guys: http://www.all-rite.com/ I haven't used them myself but have a couple of RV friends who swear by them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne