Triumph Tiger 800 XC

outsidecurtisp

Observer
Has anyone had any bad experiences with these bikes? Are they a viable/ cheaper alternative to the GS, KTM, and Yamaha's? The reviews all seem pretty good on them. The local Triumph dealer has quoted me a pretty good price on a 2013.

Frank

Explorer
I don't have any experience riding one, but what I saw yesterday at the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago, I liked.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Triumph has a reputation for reliable and durable bikes that work well. The tiger has received good reviews and appears to be a good alternative to an F800 GS. If it appeals to you, go for it. I doubt you will have much to regret.

Jim

outsidecurtisp

Observer
Kind of my thought too. They are very nice.
Triumph has a reputation for reliable and durable bikes that work well. The tiger has received good reviews and appears to be a good alternative to an F800 GS. If it appeals to you, go for it. I doubt you will have much to regret.

Jim

Scott Brady

Founder
I really enjoyed the 800XC. Super fun bike with a WONDERFUL motor and great fuel mileage. Just needs a few farkles for more serious exploration.

Here is a little comparo I did with some test bikes.

outsidecurtisp

Observer
Scott, thanks for the video. You make great points on both bikes.
I really enjoyed the 800XC. Super fun bike with a WONDERFUL motor and great fuel mileage. Just needs a few farkles for more serious exploration.

Here is a little comparo I did with some test bikes.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I have no personal experience with the 800XC, but it is high on my list of gotta-haves. I have been following them since they came out a couple years ago. The experienced riders I know and trust say that if you plan on doing primarily street miles the 800XC is the way to go. If you are planning on more gravel and double track perhaps you should look more closely at the F800GS. Like Scott said the 800XC has an engine that is top rated. It is also supposed to be very comfortable for long mile days with the stock seat. Companies like Twisted Throttle and Touratech are waiting to help you spend as much as you like farkling either of these excellent bikes up. If I had the $$, I'd be putting one of these in my garage ASAP. Good luck with you decision.

As an aside, if money is a little tight, and you're not adverse to going used, I suggest you check out the fleamarket for bikes on ADVRider.com. I'd also take a look at the older 1050 Tigers that Triumph made. I've been told that they are rugged and dependable bikes too. Just may be a way to save a little scratch.

outsidecurtisp

Observer
2013 Tiger

IMG_2448.JPGIMG_2449.JPG
Well, I bit the bullet. Three weeks ago I went down just to look; and I ended up bringing one home. I love it. A couple accesories and it should be perfect. Crash bars and a rear rack are next. Maybe a trunk. And unlike Jeep accesories don't cost thousands.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i think you will grow to love it, there's something about triumph in general and the triple is awesome.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
I have a 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 with around 24,000 miles and every day I ride my motorcycle the engine always impresses me! I have ridden the 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC and I can tell you being a Triumph owner this bike is outstanding to ride! I have rode the Street Triple R, Speed Triple, Tiger 1050 and Sprint ST. I would own one in a heartbeat and it's a bike you can ride all day and not feel tired and drained on.

My only cons are that the bike doesn't come with adjustable suspension and looks so similar to the F800

If I were more towards dirt I would probably look at KTM.

robert

Expedition Leader
I test road one last year when I was thinking about buying one and liked it better than the F800gs.

outsidecurtisp

Observer
So, I have been on a few long rides around my area; The Bike Is Great... No complaints at all. I am a little bummed that my rack and crash bars from Alt Rider are on back order for another week. But I can deal with that.

D

Deleted member 48574

I just picked up a used XC800 based on the reviews and the types of riding I wanted to do (I went to 'look' and it just followed me home, too -- you know, they put these poor tigers down if they don't find good homes for them. It was the humane thing to do :p)

A couple of things to keep in mind:

There's a STRONGLY advised 'recall' for the ECMs of certain makes of the XC800. The ECM has to be flashed with new fuel management software or you may have a problem with stalling. I've heard as high as 4/10 Tigers had it before the flash, so it's a good idea to get it done. This should be common knowledge but if you get a used one in a private sale for a steal "because it keeps stalling" -- now you know why!

Also, there is a recall on the Center stand spring as it can break and cause issues. I've read that the new springs are a lot stiffer too so the center stand will be secured.

Can't wait to get out Riding!

Cheers
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles