Suburban for most ocasions.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well in the last 3 years i have built 7trucks for me. My soon to be wife asked me if I ever plan to keep and finish one truck. The last 3 years i have had to scramble and dig a camping truck up. Right now between the two of us we own 6 rigs 5 of witch are projects. We have a 06 impalla SS that runs and drives great. I have 5 rigs that for one reason or 50 can not be driven. 1990 ramcharger 1994 Gmc Sonoma 1995 Gmc Suburban 1967 Scout 800A. 1966 VW karmengiha.All of witch need much work. Also we plan to be living in Az by October. So i was asked if i really liked building a new truck every spring or heaving a bunch of half finished projects because I have money to build one at a time and manage to build none.

So I told her I would build up the suburban and keep it. I plan to part.out.or.sell every thin but my 66 giha. The Vw will be built up later for desert romps.

So what am I working with.

1995 Gmc 1500 barndoor Suburban 5.7 4l60e 241 t-case . The plan is in a few parts. First it needs a motor normally I would have the front suspension cut out by now. Where going to try some thing different .With this one all I am doing this year is make it work. I have a good low mile 5.7 sitting at work. A light freshen is the plan replace the gaskets as its out. Then install and play. The transmission worked when the number 5 rocker arm stud shot threw the valve cover. It has some junk 245s on it so a torsion crank and 285s will due for now.

Then a 12k harbour freight winch for safety sake. Next some good bumpers front and rear with tire and gas can mount. Enjoy for the year upgrade small things as needed.

98dango

Expedition Leader
The next step will be to install my Dana 60/60 combo. The plan hear is 4.56 gears arb front and rear. A simple leaf spring suspension will be used just for less moving parts. I know why not build a 73-91 well i like the 92-99 body and. interior . I plan to used the Offroad Design SAS kit and 47" gm springs with a low 2.5" spring netting me 5.5" of lift that and a shackle flip out back. This should be simple and strong.

The next thing would be a NV4500 swap and brand new small block. I have 80% of what i need to do this but I want this getting used not sitting next to the rest of my trucks I jump in with big plans and no time.

My over all goal is 35" rubber daily driver that I can camp My small family out of with a quick load set up and take down time.

98dango

Expedition Leader
With moving and paying for some 250 people to eat at a wedding we don't have any super plans for.this year. Glacier national park and some short weekend trips is all we plan to do. I feel the Ifs will handle this just fine. I have A end goal but a real time frame.

This is what I'm after when all done.abf.jpg

BurbanAZ

Explorer
good choice building up the suburba, i love those trucks. If ur looking for an affordable winch id recommend Engo. I have a 12k Engo and it has been an excellent winch and weve used it a ton. Nice thing with these trucks too is everything is pretty much straight lines so building bumpers and stuff is pretty straight forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles