93 chevy spares list?

roky

greetings from a new member to this forum -- i've previously done my off-roading with my sj410, and i always carry spare parts on the longer trips -- i've recently acquired a 93 chevy 5.7(350) to replace the suzy -- although i'm a mechanic(as in "i build my engines") i've avoided electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition -- until now -- for this 93 chevy, i'm wondering what spare parts folks who have similar vehicles carry off road on longer trips -- one of the reasons i chose this truck/engine is the parts are relatively cheap --

of course, i can't carry something as large as a transmission, as i do in my 77 chevy van, but since this truck is manual, i don't expect to need one

thanks, roky

1leg

Explorer
A well maintained truck wouldn't need too many spares. For a 93 i would install a manual front diff lock that would cure any problem you would have with the electric unit. Next i would replace your belt with a new one and throw the old one in the spares. I also like to carry a few spare sparkplug wires. When one wire goes out on these trucks it can be a pain to drive. I have also been carring around a old (tested good) coil. You might even add a u-joint or two.

replace the plastic idle pulley with a steel unit trust me on this one.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=347142&cc=1050961

1meanz

Mullet Club Chairman
I've eaten slept and breathed OBDI GM stuff for the past 15 years. Everyone else here has made good suggestions, I'll add the following.

coolant temp sensor (when these fail it will run like CRAP. The ECM depends on this input to determine injector pulsewidth)
MAP sensor (ditto, see comment above)
Throttle position sensor (this can cause idle issues,stalling and tip-in stumble)
ECM (you can get the '746/'747 ECMs dirt cheap online or at the junkyard. It's rare, but the injector drivers that ground the injector circuits can fail leaving you with no injector pulse. As cheap as these ECMs are these days, I'd throw a spare in the truck. You can swap your "chip" from your original ECM to the replacement one so it's not critical to get an ECM from the exact year and engine your truck has)

Extra non-critical stuff I'd take would be
O2 sensor
IAC valve (idle air control)
IAT sensor(intake air temperature)
EGR valve (these can hang open or develop a vacuum leak causing the engine to run very poorly)

All these sensors and the ECM I listed would more than fit in a normal sized school lunch box and they are great insurance. When I go on long trips with my stuff, I take a box of the extras I listed.

roky

thanks much guys, i really appreciate this info -- i would know what might go on my older vehicles, but this electronics stuff is new for me -- but its time to learn, and i think this tbi system is a good one

1leg

Explorer
I do have a spare ECM. It's easy enough to find a match in the junk yard and test. the coolest thing about these trucks is just how easy it is to buy parts. I can't think of a part yet that the store didn't have in stock and i have never had any issue except for going thru a few steering boxes before i got one that works. If i did it again i would have found a local rebuild and had it done right.

Just go thru everything slowly, My truck has had just about everything rebuilt except for the transmission, tranfercase and rear driveshaft. oh crap i just jinks myself.

roky

yes, this wasn't a haphazard choice -- i knew the engine, tranny, and years i wanted -- not perfect match, but close enough, so i grabbed it -- then i got an aluminum a.r.e. cap, with the rear door for now, eventually will get a pop-up slide-in camper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz