Getting ready for a trip to Mexico

dibsen

Adventurer
Hi Y'all

I just ordered a slew of parts from the UK to give my SIII 109 some long over due TLC. New parabolic leafs, new brakes, and new passenger window top, engine gasket kit and a bunch more.

After reading the End of the World Mayan Tour I was inspired to make the trip myself. I am sort of banking on the Tampa to Cozamel ferry being operational because it will save me about 4 days of highway driving. I want to spend 10 days driving around, seeing the temples and eating the local food.

I am planning a shakedown trip in September probably in Florida or Alabama.

I won't be getting the parts for a while but I will be sure to post up a pic once they do.

I am thinking once the I get the parts I will disasemble most of the drivetrain so I can clean up the frame as best I can and get some fresh paint on it. I'm hesatant to remove the back end and roof, I just want to clean it up and I think if I remove too much I might get overwhelmed.

dibsen

Adventurer
I want to start a running list before the trip. See how that goes

Needs
tint

Wants
5 new tires
RTT
max trax
screw on oil filter
aux lights
rouchester carb
dual battery
new seatbelts (disco)
defender vent and door seals
Mean Green starter
upgraded alt.
winch (even after being told from experience that this is not a necessity, I don't know if I can go on a solo trip without one)

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Hi!

I honestly wouldn't count on the ferry to be operational but there is an easy and regular shipment by container between Florida (Panama, FL) to Progreso, just South-East of Cancun.
The cost is about $850 and I have some contact info if you need. I haven't used the service myself but seriously considered it. Apparently there is a Banjercito branch in Progreso where you can get you car permit. Financially speaking it's most likely cheaper than driving all the way from Florida, but also get to miss a lot of Mexico.

I am not sure if I read your post properly but if you only have 10 days, you are much better to just fly down to Cancun and rent a SUV there.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have done that trip a couple times, and Christian is spot on!! For that time frame- fly/drive. If you drive, the section from Brownsville south is very nice until the 'elbow' where you turn east, but after that concentration of people, aka metropolis, the drive along the southern gulf is beautiful as well. And lots to explore off the beaten path, which will be frustrating on that tight of a schedule. And the locals outside the cities are extremely nice folks!!
Then there is the snorkeling and water sports as well as ruins etc down the eastern shore to Campeche- now you have to decide to enter Belize and Guatemala- Aqua Azul is amazing..... Blue hole off Belize.... jungle travel.... visit LR sales with Graham Herbert in Belize....

LR Max

Local Oaf
Let us know if you want to do anything in Alabama for a shakedown. Not too far from me and it would be nice to wheel with another 109!

dibsen

Adventurer
Let us know if you want to do anything in Alabama for a shakedown. Not too far from me and it would be nice to wheel with another 109!

For sure. I have 2 other friends with 109's and Ill see if we can't all link up.

For the trip, 10 days is my time spent in Mexico. So if the ferry isn't running then I would have to add 6 days for travel time. I didn't consider renting a 4x4 but guess that could be a possibility.

Depending on how well the trip goes is really going to determine if I keep the Landy. My wife was complaining about her seat in the 100 series land cruiser so.... this could be a bad trip. Guess I'll know after the shake down trip, its as much for her as it is for the old series (I know the vehicle can handle it).

thanks for the tips. I am also open to suggestions for kit, both needs and wants, from anyone who has been.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I would buy a GOOD sheepskin for your wife's seat. It will make a ton of difference for her comfort level.

You probably won't need a winch. A set of Maxtracks and a shovel are easier to carry, cheaper, and a lot less effort to install. Of course, a series looks cool with a winch on it.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am with Ray, you don't need a winch. Just fyi (I did not realize that before doing the Maya Rally), a good portion of the Yucatan peninsula is flat and made of coral (or there is probably a more technical name to it) so there is not much opportunity for offroad there.

If your wife did not like the 100, I don't think you need to take her to Mexico to get her opinion on the Series...I am pretty sure I can already tell you how she will feel about it in the 100F heat...

;)

LR Max

Local Oaf
For sure. I have 2 other friends with 109's and Ill see if we can't all link up.

That right there made my day. Don't mean to hijack but that DEFINITELY has to happen. Four old 109s...cluttering across Alabama...YES.

As for kit, really, a bottle jack on a piece of plywood and a couple 6"x6"x12" blocks of wood can get you out of A LOT. Just make sure to tie a piece of string to them so when they get sunk down in the mud, you can get them out! Search for waffle board bridging ladders here. Can be had for reasonable prices and can help in rough terrain and also as sand ladders.

Unless you know you are going into jungles, you don't need a winch. Upgrading the stock headlights and adding some decent aftermarket lights are a good idea. Of course I recommend a mean green starter as I've never had much luck with the stock starter. Also my mean green has been a CHAMPION.

Lets see...I'd get rid of the oil bath air cleaner and get a cone filter. Easier to clean at the end of the day than a oil bath (of course that is my opinion). The raised air intake might be good too if you expect dusty conditions.

Defender door seals and air vent seals...YOU WANT THIS.

If your door tops are crap, there are aftermarket ones made in Canada. It used to be Rocky Mountain...might still be. Name has changed but they still make them. Of course if you can get some defender door tops then definitely go that route.

Roverdrive also brings all kinds of win. I LOVE mine.

Defender door mirrors.

Free wheeling hubs. I can notice a difference when they are locked vs. unlocked.

Spin on oil filter adapter. Once again, lets make life easy!

Soon I'll be changing out all of my light bulbs to LEDs. Kinda looking forward to that.

For seat belts, pull a set from a Discovery 1. I got brand new seat belts from Britax and they look EXACTLY like what came in Discovery 1s. So just cut the crap and get a used set for cheap. Problem solved.

I had dual batteries and it was a waste of time and space. I run one normal-person battery these days. It works just as good as the dual optimas I had.

Upgrade your alternator to the AC Delco 12si unit (I think that is it?) so then you can actually get some power into your charging system!

Rochester carb if you have a 2.25 petrol. It'll light a fire under your 109!

Lastly, if I had to do it all over again, I would've tinted all of the windows back from the drivers seat. It would help out so much at night with glare, not to mention reduce wandering eyes.

Just some thoughts to throw out there. You were looking for good kit! Decent upgrades to the truck are always a good idea!

BTW, any pictures of your 109?

Last edited:

dibsen

Adventurer
Max, your the man, thanks!
Good call on the tint, didn't think of that. see if I can't find some pics or I'll just take some tomorrow. I want to clean out the garage and possibly get started tomorrow, even if its just getting it in and hosing the suspension down with PB blaster

dibsen

Adventurer
what are everyone's thoughts on power steering? I have done some light to moderate offroading without it so far and I haven't run into anything I couldn't handle.

Keep in mind, I'm wicked strong

dibsen

Adventurer
I used to run many a trials course with a 110 2.5 NAD and no PS- why add another potential leak?

Good point.

Well, got her in the garage today, looks good in there :) and I went to work with the PB blaster. I took a bunch of pics but my dumb I phone doesnt like my wifes MacBook and wont let me download the pics. This is why I like my Landi, no technology to out smart.

I'll get you guys some pics soon

dibsen

Adventurer
IMG_2740.jpgIMG_2741.jpgIMG_2742.jpgIMG_2743.jpgIMG_2744.jpg

Spray Lube, Hammer and a Dremel. Recipe for a good time in any situation :)

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
Power steering bring all kinds of win. I had a shop install a Scout power steering system in my 109...OH MY GOD night and day difference. Seriously, if you plan on driving your 109 on the pavement, it is a god send. Parking lots are no longer my enemy. On the trail, I can steer and avoid objects. The wheel doesn't jerk my elbow into the door anymore. I don't have to worry about broken steering gear.

I've noticed no power drain from the pump now attached to the engine. Seriously, it makes life 498673959837872698570472876598x easier. I know us series guys are used to it but when others drive our trucks, manual steering can be a lot all of a sudden. However with power steering, it isn't a problem throwing the keys to someone else. This is huge for me when my dad and I travel together (long story short, it makes his life easier).

I've never experienced any big leaks. I mean, it is a rover so I carry an extra quart in the back...but whatever. It sits with all the other quarts and gallons of spare fluids I've got in the back. My tip is to install ALL NEW equipment and hoses. That all should last you about 10 years...minimum. Research as P38 power steering install is now what all the cool kids are doing.

Also look at installing the power steering pump where the alternator is and bringing the alternator up higher on the engine. My alternator is below and I've noticed it has taken in some oil and other fun things being that low on the engine. I haven't had a problem yet but pulling the alternator and rebuilding it is near the top of my list. Also keep in mind that my alternator hasn't been rebuilt in 8 years or so and has had the crap beaten out of it. So its about that time anyway.

Nice 109. Is that a Ducilleur distributor you have? If so, throw away that crap and install a Lucas 45D4 with a petronix in it. My old Ducilleur would crap out whenever I got within 20ft of water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94