Auction of Mercedes Vario 4x4 on 23rd Feb

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Guys - I'm willing to go down to the auction tomorrow on yer (plural of "your") behalf if we can make it work that way.

I can't take responsibility for the condition of the vans but I can look them over and give you an opinion.

PM me for my mobile number if you want to talk and see if it can work.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Wow, ianc that is an incredibly generous offer. I'm really struggling with the logistics from my end though unfortunately. I'm currently in Singapore but back for a week from 16th March, so i would have to store it somewhere until I could collect. Not only that, but I have no idea of the legalities of driving it back to the UK, does anyone on here know? Are mots required in Ireland? Cold I just insure it and drive it back?

So many questions!

How much did yours go for ianc?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

docka

Adventurer
Ian, thanks, that is a very kind offer indeed!
I dont have the funds this time around, probably wont even in May, I'll have to wait til next year...Boohoo!
Still, it'll give me plenty of time to plan and to glean info off you guys!

Arfur's World

Observer
Ianc
The intention would have been to rob the vehicle of its 4x4 gubbins and fit to my van, then either refit with my 2x4 gubbins and resell or break what ever is left, hopefully leaving me with the perfect towing/camping vehicle :)

That's what my idea is too, seems like a plan ...

Anton2k3

Adventurer
I'd just like to say a massive thank you to Ian, for going down (or up?) to the auction today to check the vans out for me and put a bid in. Unfortunately I just missed out, but next time for sure!

Ian, thanks for everything, if I can every repay the favour, just let me know.

Thanks,

docka

Adventurer
Maybe we should stop posting great things about these vehicles or there'll be none left...!
I've never bought anything at auction before either so i'm going to go and attend some to get a feel for it...

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Indeed, if I were in the UK, I'd be attending all of them! Hopefully the Irish electricity board have saved some to auction off next year!

In the mean time, maybe an independent hand brake system and a winch. I'm also intrigued as to the difference between the standard and 4x4 versions that gives the 4x4 so much more ground clearance. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Unlucky Anton,
So do we know how much they went for in the end?

2003 model for about €XX,XXX* with 138k km
2004 model for about €XX,XXX I think with 228k on the clock and
2002 model for exactly €XX,XXX with 95k km

The buyers of at least two of them were eastern Europeans. I think the last one was bought by an Irish guy. There were 2 other "non-dealers" looking at them. But generally the whole auction was traders. There were about 6-7 Unimogs also 140L 's I think. Not ideal for conversion.

*PM me for prices

Last edited:

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Haha, I deleted my earlier post with the prices in to keep it a secret in the hope that there will be some left!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior