80 Series with Portal Axles

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That is G.R. Bakers truck over at 4WDTrips. It is really cool that he put Volvo Portals on his 80.

brittan

Adventurer
He's over at http://www.ih8mud.com too...There is a good movie of him going over an obstacle a jeep can't follow him over. I saw a buggy in Moab last year with the same setup. Cool idea but I don't know how practical it is.

TiredIronGRB

Observer
Very practical, I drive it every day and wheel it about every weekend:)

normal_Evarts040106_17.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_18.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_21.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_25.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_27.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_29.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_30.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_31.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_76.jpg

Last edited:

Grouseman

Adventurer
TiredIronGRB said:
Thanks, I didn't know about this forum. What is the difference between this one and the 4wdtrips forum?

Well check out this site and then the 4wdtrips and you decide what the differance is.:arabia:

Gman

erin

Explorer
:coffee:
Very nice rig. Welcome to the portal. I think I recall running across the beginning of your buildup sometime ago, nice to see where you ended up.
Do you have any more plans for the truck or are you satisfied with it?

TiredIronGRB

Observer
It only took 4 days to build (other than changing the springs out a week later), I may build some custom wheels so I can improve it's stance on off camber areas.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Welcome and great rig. I've actually posted a video of your rig on some other forums before. Good stuff. Hope to hear more about it.

TiredIronGRB

Observer
Installed a set of Iroks (39.5X13.50X17) and trimed the fender flares, I really like the way it feels now.
normal_Irok_01.JPG

normal_Irok_02.JPG

normal_Irok_03.JPG

normal_Irok_04.JPG

normal_Irok_05.JPG

normal_Irok_06.JPG

Also switched to synthetic rope on the winch.
normal_WinchRope02.JPG

tarbe

Observer
The IROKS have to be better on the pavement, yes?

They sure look nice...not that it matters (yea, right...like we don't care what our rigs look like :) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles