Garmin Glo or Bad Elf Pro, do I need one and which one is better?

Old_FJ_Guy

Observer
I have an Apple IPad 2 with wifi and the 3G capability. I purchased the Motion X and the Gaia GPS apps along with the Avenza .pdf maps app to be able to run in an event next fall that requires them. I figured that it would give me some time to become proficient with them before having to use them.

I have been following the threads here on the Garmin Glo and have been researching reviews on them. The Glo has some issues with regards to failing when overheated mounted in a windshield or windscreen and the on/ off switch allows it to be accidentally turned on which runs down the battery prior to use. I am leaning towards the Bad Elf Pro as the reviews are much better and seems more robust. I have a Garmin GPS now and love their products, this one seems like it would be worth waiting on the next generation.

My question is about mounting the Bad Elf pro, no obvious windshield mounts, and with my IPad having the 3G capability, do I really need this external device? Does the iPad 2 lose the GPS function if you lose the 3G signal such as in a remote area which would necessitate the Bad Elf Pro?

I would appreciate any ideas/ opinions you can offer.

syncroluvr

I have a GLO and it works well with my Nexus 7. As far as the GLO having issues when overheated, I cant really say much except ANYTHING left on the dash, in the sun for extended periods of time will fail prematurely. I have not had a problem with it turning on or off accidentally, when its in use a little orange LED lights up and thats all there is to it. It really comes down to preference and with their price around $100 you could easily buy both, keep the one you prefer and sell the other one?

Old_FJ_Guy

Observer
Thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate it. If I understand correctly, my iPad 2 has a built in GPS function that does not depend on a 3G signal to function correctly?

targa88

Explorer
Thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate it. If I understand correctly, my iPad 2 has a built in GPS function that does not depend on a 3G signal to function correctly?
I run the same IPAD 2. The configuration with GAIA works fine..everywhere I have gone in the Canada/US/Mexico.

Just an FYI- although it is 3G - I don't need/use the 3G for GPS apps

Meettaco

Guys please realise that the Ipad does not have a gps chip in it. It only uses 3g to triangulate your position. It is much less accurate than a gps. You need a standalone gps module such as you are looking for to have a true gps signal. I repeat the ipad does not have a gps chip in it. If you go out of cell coverage area you will not be able to see your position. Get a bluetooth gps and dont rely on cell service.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Didn't want to start a new thread with the same subject, so I was hoping I could get an answer here. I have a 64gb iPad with 3G and wifi. I was under the impression from seeing other posts... My GPS continues to work when I'm not connected to the Internet because of the model ipad I have. However, that's not the case. As soon as I leave the house and my ipad disconnects from the Internet, my GPS signal goes away and I don't have my maps. Do I need one of those external GPSs that I thought I didn't need because of the model ipad I have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aTX427

I'm looking for any updates from those who have seen or tried both units?

For my needs, the internal GPS is insufficient and has dropped too many connections for safely traveling through the Western US National Forest system.

It looks like the refresh rate is the same at 10hz (10 per second) , but the Bad Elf has a digital display and Garmin supports Glonas (24 additional Soviet satelites) and Android. A third alternative is the Dual, which has a really nice GPS application, but only refreshes once per second - about the same as the iPhone / ipad internal GPS.

D110

Observer
Resurrecting an old thread to see if anyone has thoughts on the two units - trying to decide between Bad Elf Pro and the Garmin Glo (but open to other suggestions) - will be hooking to an iPad mini.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94