Advice Needed: 2008 Z71 Suburban vs 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
Our family has two vehicles, a 2008 Z71 Suburban and a 1999 Ford Expedition. My original goal on the Z71 was to use it to go camping, mild off-roading, etc... I then changed my mind, am selling my Fusion, and bought the Expy - which will fill the aforementioned role. As I kept looking through the threads on here, I realized there a not a lot of Expys (or Burbs) for that matter (at least my years). So that leads me to ask the following: which should I plan to use for this "function"? I cannot afford to build both up (nothing crazy, but small lift, drawer storage, etc.). Which should I use? (BTW - not really meant to incite a Ford vs Chevy discussion... they are just the trucks I have). Stuff I am thinking about is space? Ease of maintenance? Cost to modify? Ease of modifications? Long term reliability?

Pertinent data:
Both are second owner trucks
Mileage: Z71: 70000, Expy: 72000
When I bought the Z71, I did not do a lot to it, as I got it from CarMax and had my BIL check it out (he works there). When I bought the Expy, I riddled you all with questions, and have done a lot of maintenance that should be done on a 14 year old truck.
Both appear to be in similar mechanical condition - that can change quickly of course, given the age / mileage of the trucks.
The Z71 is a Chicago vehicle, and has minor rust, most of which I removed when I got it and have "covered" - although I doubt I got all of it (guessing 80%). The Expy is a GA vehicle, been here its whole life, and looks immaculate underneath.
The Z71 does drive nicer, but it is also 9 years newer (regardless of mileage).

Cannot think of anything else, so ask away, I will do my best to answer - as I want to begin "shopping" (OK OK OK - planning)...

Thanks in advance.

Hammer

PS. May be the biggest data point: I own the Expy, the credit union "owns" the Z71 (for a couple more years anyway)...

Mooneywa

I have a 2008 Z71 Tahoe, so the only difference is the wheelbase. I put a level kit on it and added Bilstein 5100s, Moog UCAs, and Moog Tie-Rods. I've had the truck for about two years now and it is a great truck mechanically. The engine and drivetrain are all sound and any small things were taken care of by the powertrain warranty. It drives really well on the highway and is great in mild off-road, but I have taken it on some more rock trails in Moab too. It mostly takes me around the beaches here in South Texas and around friend's and family's ranch lands.

The aftermarket availability is ok. There is only one place that sells rear bumpers (a real irritation of mine), no place that sells sliders, but lift kits and other aftermarket stuff is pretty available. Don't expect LC100 level of support, but it's reasonable.

There are some annoyances here and there. The windows rattled until I spent hours coating the tracks in silicone. There is a part above the tail light that rattles in the wind constantly and I need to fix. To change a headlight you have to take off the bumper or the wheel well cover or both.

I think ultimately the Suburban is going to make you happier in the long run. There's just something to be said about having something newer that you see and drive all the time... it's also really hard to beat the 5.3L in it.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Both are big heavy pigs with similar drive trains. With that said I'd vote expy for a older body that's cheaper to replace or not care about scratching/denting and since its shorter. Crank the torsion bars up 2"s, get rear spring spacers, add a lsd or locker in the rear, and throw on a set of 33-34's and wheel it. O and torque your spark plugs before one goes flying out!

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
You make another valid point... about caring less regarding "stripes" (I still care - taught to take care of my "blessings")...
However, I have read a little about the torsion bars, but not enough to know exactly what you are saying - let the research begin.
I already have LSD (3.55 - not great for speed, but have been able to get 13 city / 18 hwy).
Spark Plugs - YIKES... heard HORROR stories about them... I was going to change them myself... decided NO WAY, going to let a shop do it, rather pay $300 - 400 for someone to do it rather than buying new heads (of course, new PI heads would be nice... hmmmm)...
Cannot really change the tires - has almost brand new Michelin LTX M/S tires on it...

Thank you everyone for the ideas.

Hammer

PS. Been look at the storage section a lot - really need something for storage and on which to sleep...

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Basically you twist in the adjusting screw at the end of the torsion bar to put more pre-load on it raising the height of the vehicle. It makes the ride stiffer but is the easiest and cheapest(free) lift for torsion bar vehicles. O and you don't need aftermarket keys,just adjust the stock ones. Ford's limited slip is pretty gentle and wears out quickly. Swap a Detroit tru trac in and be set. It's probably the closest to a locker you can get. As for the spark plugs there is plenty of information on how to do it if you feel so inclined. Basically no anti seize and 25 ft lbs. Its just getting the the last driver side plug that's a pita. Unfortunately they didn't fix the amount of threads until the 03 model year newer body style trucks. And you can always sell a nice set of tires, especially those michelins, and use that to fund new more aggressive tires which are probably cheaper than the initial cost of those things. For your mpg, do you have the 4.6 or 5.4? i'm looking into getting an expy and running some 285/75/16s at stock height.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I would vote for the expy only because what was previously mentioned. Parts are plentiful, available used everywhere, truck is worth less so less is at risk in at-risk activities, paid for, the list goes on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior